Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have postponed doing something about this for too long, so I am looking into it again. Any updates on this of people who did it? :)

Yesterday I checked the driveshafts of my CR-Z and noticed a few very small spots of surface rust on both. However, I didn't check under the damper. Most pictures of failed driveshafts show a lot of (surface) rust next to the damper too, so not only under the damper. So surface rust next to the damper might be a good indication for the status under the damper. If that would be the case, then mine would be still okay. This got me thinking about ways to prevent more rust without removing the dampers and taking it to a shop, since I can't do that myself (I am not handy and don't have the tools). I was thinking about using direct to rust paint (Hammerite) on the shaft on both sides next to the damper. This would prevent water getting under the damper and prevent rust from spreading, right?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I couldn’t find Duck Oil in the Netherlands, so I bought Fluid Film after reading many positive reviews. Hopefully this will slow down the rust and that it won’t be such a good lubricant that the rubber damper will slide around.

·
Red&Black
6,037 Posts
Hmm, so someday when my driveshafts snap from living in the Rustbelt of the USA and I need to use the spare ones I already have, I should remove the dampeners? Good to know! If the shaft is solid why did Honda even put those there, sheesh.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hmm, so someday when my driveshafts snap from living in the Rustbelt of the USA and I need to use the spare ones I already have, I should remove the dampeners? Good to know! If the shaft is solid why did Honda even put those there, sheesh.
The dampers reduce vibrations and noise. That’s what I read in a few research papers on this subject. I have no idea how much effect the dampers have, but that seems to be the goal.

As has been discussed on the forum, Honda did a recall for this issue on multiple other Honda models. The replacement shafts used during this recall still have the damper on. This makes me think that the damper is quite important. If Honda knows these cause issues, but still decides to leave them on… However, many people (also on other Honda forums) reported no vibrations after removing the dampers.

By the way, it might be good to check if there is noticable rust or flaking paint on your axles next to the rubber damper. That seems to be the best indication of how bad it is under the damper (without removing them). If I am not mistaken, this is also what Honda looks at during the recall.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts