Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke my offside driveshaft today pulling away a little too enthusiastically. It was rusted pretty badly it transpires.

Doesn't seem to be any option for a third party replacement here in the UK. The part alone is 1200 GBP. Appreciate it's a bespoke part for this car but it's ludicrously expensive for what it is.

Anyone have any idea whether the other side is likely to be as worn? I was thinking of getting both replaced (until I saw the price) - dealer tech suggested that it's only the one side that seems to go.

Thanks n

·
Registered
109 Posts
Broke my offside driveshaft today pulling away a little too enthusiastically. It was rusted pretty badly it transpires.

Doesn't seem to be any option for a third party replacement here in the UK. The part alone is 1200 GBP. Appreciate it's a bespoke part for this car but it's ludicrously expensive for what it is.

Anyone have any idea whether the other side is likely to be as worn? I was thinking of getting both replaced (until I saw the price) - dealer tech suggested that it's only the one side that seems to go.

Thanks n
A few other owners have had their driveshafts snap. It's the rubber weight in the middle of the shaft. Water seeps underneath and it corrodes through the shaft. I checked mine and the passenger side looked relatively clean. But when I checked the drivers side, all the paint had corroded and flaked off. Not sure why it affects one side and not the other.
I sprayed some waxoyl to try and seal it around the rubber weight and CV boots.
I would get a second hand one from a scrap yard. Probably cost about 70-100 pounds.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few other owners have had their driveshafts snap. It's the rubber weight in the middle of the shaft. Water seeps underneath and it corrodes through the shaft. I checked mine and the drivers side looked relatively clean. But when I checked the drivers side, all the paint had corroded and flaked off. Not sure why it affects one side and not the other.
I sprayed some waxoyl to try and seal it around the rubber weight and CV boots.
I would get a second hand one from a scrap yard. Probably cost about 70-100 pounds.
Yeah I can't get the part anywhere though, it seems a common issue. Which side was yours bad on - the shaft is longer on the right side I believe and I think this one is more susceptible. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah I can't get the part anywhere though, it seems a common issue. Which side was yours bad on - the shaft is longer on the right side I believe and I think this one is more susceptible. Thanks for the info though.
Driver side. There are a few CRZ's on ebay that are being broken. Message them to see if they have one. Or try a online breakers.
I think the drivers is the one that deteriorates due to that one being on the side of the road drains where there is more water and road salts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts