Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I open the car with the remote. There's a squeely-motor type noise on the passenger side. It goes away after about 2-3 open and closes. But when you wait a while and come back. It does it again. It started up about a week or two ago. Anyone else experiencing this? If it doesnt go away in about a week or so. Im thinking of bringing it into the delearship to have them check it out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, i mean the usual lock noise is fine. But this is def not normal. Hopefully if is a defect, it will make the noise when im there. The delearship gave me a hard time about my foglight condensation. They need irrefutable proof to fix anything. Hopefully they wont this time.

·
Registered
382 Posts
YEP Mine does it Only the drivers side and only when its cold. It sounds like a squealing/grinding gear noise. I figured id have the dealer look at it when I take the car in for its first free oil change. but with only 5000 miles and 50% oil life left it may be a few months.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, it could be cold weather. It has been chilly here in florida. Ill just keep an eye out on it. Its gonna warm up, so ill see if it is weather related.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well its not cold today and its still doing it. Def sounds like a bad actuator or motor. My dads makes this noise on his 10 year old dodge intrepid, but much louder. So this shudnt be happening. Not on a brand new car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Driverside Door Lock Actuator Noise

I also have an intermittent door lock actuator noise. Is a moanful sounding squeal that happens when the door automatically locks after putting the car in gear. It's been going on for a couple of months, and it unfortunately makes my CR-Z sound like an aging clunker. I picked up a co-worker on the way into work this morning (a Toyota owner) who, after hearing it, said, "Oh that doesn't sound good" and proceeded to describe all the various ways that Toyota is better than Honda. Pretty embarrassing.

I took the car to Bernardi Honda in Framingham, MA in November to see if I could get it fixed under warranty. No dice. Bernardi said that they have no service bulletins from Honda against CR-Z actuator issues, and since they didn't hear it when they listened, they weren't going to fix it without a service bulletin. I had brought with me forum posts describing this issue, but they wouldn't look at them.

My wife and I have been loyal customers of Bernardi for about 20 years (and many cars), so this is pretty disturbing. My CR-Z will be out of warranty soon, and I'm sure getting it fixed then will be pretty straight forward, but for now, my still-new CR-Z feels old.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I also have this on the passenger side. I mainly notice it when I go to park and the doors unlock.

It seems to do it more when its cold. Very annoying. I tried to get the dealer to listen to it but of course it was in the 70's last week here in Florida so it stopped. Hopefully if and when it gets cold here I can get it to the dealer.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My driver's side lock makes this noise also, on occasion. I haven't been able to replicate the sound at the dealer (surprise!). I manually exercised the lock, and at times it seems sticky, doesn't lock/unlock manually easily, there's some resistance. The only real way to find out is to remove the door panel and poke around. I'm going to wait for warmer weather.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Going to resurrect this, but has there been any resolution to any of these actuator noises? I recently got a 2013 CRZ (this past Saturday actually) and the drivers side and passenger side locks moan and squeal when I hit them. In fact, the passenger side door refuses to unlock now, I dont even hear the actuator but it will OCCASIONALLY lock the passenger with the usual moaning. This is particularly annoying because to open the hatch I have to get into the drivers side seat, reach over and manually unlock the passenger side lock, then get out to open the hatch. Do I just have to replace the actuators? If so which brand should I buy...since I assume OEM Honda is just going to crap out again....

·
Registered
121 Posts
If it's the lock button in the door handle, lube the cables. Otherwise its replace the whole module. It's all one piece. $140 from honda parts now.

Or pay $1000 for the dealer to fix it by replacing it and taking a day or more. you can swap it out in an hour in your driveway if you have the tools.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
Damn. I will prob end up doing it myself or having my mechanic do it. Is there a guide on how to take apart door panels on the forum somewhere? I tried searching but couldn't find.
Good Saturday morning job, with the right touch & tools. Here's a downloadable version of the Service Manual:

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/honda-cr-z-owners-forum/73258-workshop-manual.html#post1120050

There might be a DIY on the forum, but you'll just have to search (and get lucky!) Just be careful/gentle while removing the small plastic panels at the base of the side view mirror and the one that covers the other end of the door glass--the clips/panels can break and/or get weakened clips by removing/installing improperly. So, once you have them removed, you can see the tabs that clip to the door (and make sure you don't force them on and/or off and break them. New trim pieces are available, but it's best not to break them in the first place!:|

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good Saturday morning job, with the right touch & tools. Here's a downloadable version of the Service Manual:

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/honda-cr-z-owners-forum/73258-workshop-manual.html#post1120050

There might be a DIY on the forum, but you'll just have to search (and get lucky!) Just be careful/gentle while removing the small plastic panels at the base of the side view mirror and the one that covers the other end of the door glass--the clips/panels can break and/or get weakened clips by removing/installing improperly. So, once you have them removed, you can see the tabs that clip to the door (and make sure you don't force them on and/or off and break them. New trim pieces are available, but it's best not to break them in the first place!:|

Thanks!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Resurrecting in 3..2...1....

Alright my driver side door lock is also making the same noise no matter if it’s cold or hot. Anyone else has the same issue or found a solution ?

I have had door actuators fail on me on Toyota and I ended up taking the actuator apart. Then I replaced the small DC motor inside which costs like a few bucks.

I wonder if I could do the same for the CRZ. I might wait til it completely fails to experiment it tho

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.