Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
161 - 180 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
In case it hasn't already been posted, here's a video of the installation being done by one of the forum members. I didn't catch his handle but I found the video useful so maybe others will also. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow 980$ that's gotta be dealership prices.i had both exterior handles break within days of each other. My local Honda wanted 385 a handle before any labor rates...i walked out laughing hysterically then proceeded to crawl through my hatch and drive off. Ha! ....true story.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys!

For those of you who are considering doing the repair of these annoying handles on your own, I’ve made a video that for the most part goes through the process step by step. I hope this helps! If you find my video helpful, please consider subscribing and liking the video! Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welp... put it all back together and tried the outer handle with a light tug and something definitely snapped inside the outer handle, it's completely disconnected now. The other handle is just free floating. I guess it's time to find a outer handle and replace it :(
Sorry to hear about your handle bro. ?. Same thing happened with me. In my video I show a little bit on what exactly malfunctioned. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If someone made a revised metal version or bracket for our handles they would make a killing.

Sent from Samsung S10+

·
Red&Black
6,030 Posts
Someone on facebook fabricated an iron replacement for that piece that breaks. I saw the post recently a few weeks ago in one of the facebook CRZ groups.

·
Red&Black
6,030 Posts
No I don’t have the link. And it doesn’t help that searching facebook groups for key words SUCKS. The one good thing about forums is easy to store and search DIYs and other info...

If it’s broken just order a new one. The guy who made an iron one is just testing it out. I don’t think he would be ready to mass produce them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a White 2011 CRZ and my son has a Black 2011 CRZ. He just broke the drivers door handle off during the hot summer weather. Passenger side also threatening to quit. (This is probably the kiss of death to say this) Mine are both fine. We had his replaced at a shop for $350 total. There is a you tube video showing the replacement process. All cars seem to have a weak link, guess this the CRZ's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No I don’t have the link. And it doesn’t help that searching facebook groups for key words SUCKS. The one good thing about forums is easy to store and search DIYs and other info...

If it’s broken just order a new one. The guy who made an iron one is just testing it out. I don’t think he would be ready to mass produce them.
I am having the same problem with my driver's door. I got the new handle and assembly but am worried about going through all the trouble to replace this whole thing if the heat down here in FL is going to cause the same thing to happen to this one. Someone on this forum said he had a local college 3d print up a carbon fiber replacement for the plastic part that breaks but not sure how I would go about doing that myself

·
Registered
446 Posts
People are so dumb there is clearly a real need and no one has ever considered to make this as a opportunity to make em like better stronger ones.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
People are so dumb there is clearly a real need and no one has ever considered to make this as a opportunity to make em like better stronger ones.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I have someone to make the part. Maybe I can also get a CAD file or 3D model of the part or I can just have them print up a bunch and maybe either I can sell some on eBay or I can tell him to sell them on eBay or something. just to be clear we're talking about the brown part or not the white part right? That's an image of the entirely new door handle I bought to install I haven't installed it yet cuz I want to have them make some extras of that part

Footwear Shoe Auto part Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
235 Posts
My door handle started going bad some time ago already and about a month ago it reached a point when I no longer could open the car using it. I took it out, but it's broken in a different place than most of the other people reported. You can see it on the videos:

I did a temporary fix and now I can open the car, but it's not as smooth as it should be:

Already ordered a new handle directly from Japan. In my current handle, the plastics that slide when you pull the lever are already worn out and there's a groove, so I have to pull it more to open the car. I'll try to fix my old handle properly when I replace it with the new, so I'll have one spare in case a new one breaks (or maybe I'll try to find a company who can copy it in metal).

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I got my 2011 recently the passenger side handle was pre-broken. After taking it out to verify that it wasn't readily repairable I ordered a new one from an online Honda dealer, about $120. Took less than 30 minutes to replace.
I do still have the old one, maybe I'll mess with it someday to see if there is any way to fix it but it's a poor design.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also in South Florida and had the driver side handle brake on my 2011 Storm Silver Metallic I do like the fact that they come painted to match the car already and it was only $80. for the part which I installed myself.
Where did you find it for $80?

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
Why are you responding to a posting from 2015? That member has not been seen since then. The CR-Z was still in production then and many more parts were available. Maybe he bought used from https://www.redlineautoparts.com/honda-cr-z/? We will never know.

See Door Handle Parts Thread for all the part numbers and then use a search engine. You may get lucky and find the one you need a little less than from the usual Honda parts supply chain. But being a unique to the CR-Z part it will be difficult to find a good price.
Currently for my year (2013) that part is $128.09 from HondaPartsNow.com and some colors are not available for this molded in color plastic part.

It is a common problem as discussed on this forum many times. It is not a question of if it will fail but when. It is a thermoplastic part.

Welcome to the forum when you have a chance please post in the new member introduction section New Member Introduction and tell us more about you and your CR-Z. We also like pictures here.

Where did you find it for $80?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont even know how to respond to that. Suffice to say there are many reasons why someone would respond to an old post. Thank you very much for the info. I do appreciate it👍✌

161 - 180 of 191 Posts