Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
The auto lock can be disabled. You want the doors locked when driving in case of an accident to keep the door closed and trust me any first responder has ways to open the door if they need to to rescue you.
Already did the disable as soon as I learned about the customisable settings. And my concern isn't so much with the guys who have the jaws of life to help out, but more the average joe - my bf was once witness to an overturned car accident where the vehicle had begun smoking and the occupant seemingly unable to get out. Most everyone stood around gawking, but he went and opened the door to get her out, which would have been considerably more challenging had her doors been locked.

I guess my thinking is that if i'm hitting something hard enough to cause the doors to be a factor in injury, I'm not convinced that the lock is going to be of that much difference either way. Are there commonly incidents reported that have caused people to be saying stuff like " if only her doors were locked she'd have been saved"? I've just never heard that mentioned as a safety consideration beyond keeping scary people from jumping in your car to hijack it in a sketchy neighborhood...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
" if only her doors were locked she'd have been saved"? I've just never heard that mentioned as a safety consideration beyond keeping scary people from jumping in your car to hijack it in a sketchy neighborhood...
I think for most people, this is more of the concern.

·
Super Moderator
5,943 Posts
Already did the disable as soon as I learned about the customisable settings. And my concern isn't so much with the guys who have the jaws of life to help out, but more the average joe - my bf was once witness to an overturned car accident where the vehicle had begun smoking and the occupant seemingly unable to get out.

In that case I would break a window. I have a device (ResQme) in my car specifically for that in case I am trapped in the car with no power and jammed doors and I have something similar on my key chain.

A door opening during an accident where you get thrown from the car would be worse. That same device can cut seat belts too. in the event of an accident door handles can fail or get triggered and sometimes just the lock is all that keeps the door closed.

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Already did the disable as soon as I learned about the customisable settings. And my concern isn't so much with the guys who have the jaws of life to help out, but more the average joe - my bf was once witness to an overturned car accident where the vehicle had begun smoking and the occupant seemingly unable to get out. Most everyone stood around gawking, but he went and opened the door to get her out, which would have been considerably more challenging had her doors been locked.
I had the same issue for a couple of days with the customizable setting that the previous owner had set--changed them ASAP. And I was that average joe once--no tools of any kind close at hand to help, if the doors were locked--car was set ablaze minutes later (oh, wait a minute, let me find a rock to break in the window to open the locked door....)

I guess my thinking is that if i'm hitting something hard enough to cause the doors to be a factor in injury, I'm not convinced that the lock is going to be of that much difference either way. Are there commonly incidents reported that have caused people to be saying stuff like " if only her doors were locked she'd have been saved"? I've just never heard that mentioned as a safety consideration beyond keeping scary people from jumping in your car to hijack it in a sketchy neighborhood...
Agreed. Sounds ridiculous that the door would spontaneously open in a crash, just because it was left unlocked--it's the LATCH that secures the door from opening on its own, not the lock mechanism. :wink2:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Well not being able to get into it to drive it, maybe, but what about getting into it to help someone inside that might be unconscious and unable to exit? I actually don't like the auto lock features that lock my doors for me because what if someone needs to get in to rescue me?
Glass popper. Routine procedure in the business. And of course every day's a new one, but over forty years behind various wheels, I've yet to run across a trap-in. Although I did have a 911 call from a woman at WalMart who was locked in her own car. You could hear people outside telling her to pull the lever.

And these are the people driving near you and your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long time lurker who also had a door handle break on the 2011. I took some pictures of the part that broke compared to a new door handle. I will be trying to JB Weld the broken component and see if that will hold, and use some lithium grease on the white polymer component to minimize wear. It seems like a design oversight from Honda to use polymer components on high-wear areas. At least Gen 3+ Glock frames flex as a purpose-designed feature... I guess door handles really aren't Honda's thing, as we also have a 1999 Odyssey that had the sliding door give up the ghost and the handle limp-dicked on us.

Please, if you are a lurker, post your experiences, maybe Honda will mass-reimburse us...

Broken door handle vs New Handle

Prominent wear path on the borked door handle

Wear path on the white polymer component of the new handle, very shallow compared to the broken handle's

Where the polymer snapped

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Long time lurker who also had a door handle break on the 2011. I took some pictures of the part that broke compared to a new door handle. I will be trying to JB Weld the broken component and see if that will hold, and use some lithium grease on the white polymer component to minimize wear. It seems like a design oversight from Honda to use polymer components on high-wear areas. At least Gen 3+ Glock frames flex as a purpose-designed feature... I guess door handles really aren't Honda's thing, as we also have a 1999 Odyssey that had the sliding door give up the ghost and the handle limp-dicked on us.

Please, if you are a lurker, post your experiences, maybe Honda will mass-reimburse us......
Nice close-up pics--thanks for posting them--mine hasn't completely bit the dust yet, but I've had a couple times when it refused to let me in the car.

·
Super Moderator
5,943 Posts
Looks like the wrong hardness material was chosen by Honda. :confused:This is disappointing. I wonder if I should order two new door handles for The Speed Bump before they become unobtanium?:surprise: :dunno:I wonder if there is some way to cover with a harder material or if someone can make replacement parts that are harder?:dunno:

I know we have some very skilled folks on this forum and some manufacturers and suppliers are willing to do special things for us. I wonder if any of these sources might be willing to do a special run of hardened parts since it appears all years have this issue.:dunno:

Please, if you are a lurker, post your experiences, maybe Honda will mass-reimburse us...

Broken door handle vs New Handle

Prominent wear path on the borked door handle

Wear path on the white polymer component of the new handle, very shallow compared to the broken handle's

Where the polymer snapped

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Fair bit of corrosion visible there, too. I wonder if that was any part of the trouble.

When you JB it, get some brass mesh to strongback it. Hobby shops should have it, or roll a nearby meth user. Probably easier to find than a hobby shop these days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its possible but usually Honda uses multiple places of manufacture for larger production cars (Civic, Fit/Jazz) and more cross-compatible and frequently replaced parts. For example replacement wheel studs and a few suspension bolts for the CR-Z are now made in the USA whereas before Honda moved some hardware manufacturing to North America they were made in Japan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
wow thats the exact part in Davids pics that broke in BOTH my handles( within days of each other ) does any body know the name or part# of it ? im just wondering if i can order it myself and take it to the dealership to be installed, as they gave me a crazy high price quote on parts.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
wow thats the exact part in Davids pics that broke in BOTH my handles( within days of each other ) does any body know the name or part# of it ? im just wondering if i can order it myself and take it to the dealership to be installed, as they gave me a crazy high price quote on parts.

Unfortunately the part that breaks on the handle isn't a separate part that can be bought. It's sold as one complete assembly, the part that breaks is connected to the outer handle grip and is fed through the main body and secured with the mounting pin in between the two arms. The only other parts Honda seems to sell other than the full handle assembly (in relation to just that part of the handle) are a bolt, bushing, and a gasket. I think even if you could by the part like you want to it wouldn't be that much cheaper than the full assembly because it would either come unpainted or painted to match so you'd still have that hurdle.

It's honestly not a hard job even if you have little experience with cars. It took me longer trying to translate what the service manual was showing me against what I was actually looking at. Even with all the back and forth it's + or - an hour job. The second time I did it, it was less than 30 minutes and I was by myself. If you have a family member, friend, or neighbor that has some more knowledge or at least an extra set of eyes and hands to help it's not bad and tools are minimal. If I remember Honda wanted like $600 to replace the handle but the dealer is always expensive for service. Just for curiosity about changing brake pads on the Z while getting the airbag recall done and just for the front pads they want $279 before any other "problems" they find. Just spend the $110/handle+shipping and a nice day with a drink and knock it out. You could always start with the passenger side because there isn't nearly as much going on there like the driver side.

In theory you could 3d print the part and paint/wrap/etc. it to match. Still have to take everything completely apart because you'll need to connect the 3d print to the cast metal part that moves along with the handle pull. If I didn't have to spend over a grand recently I was going to buy a 3d printer and this was one of the projects I thought about doing to test out since my passenger side is about to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have literally been lurking this thread for years, yesterday my handle finally broke completely.

For over 3 years my driver door would give me slight trouble and the handle would stick open and would need to be pushed back in to return to its normal position.

For at least the last year I've been using the "Pull up and out" method described here to open the door and it's worked beautifully for me. Yesterday as I attempted to open my door it finally snapped and now my door handle just hangs there sad and flaccid.

Edit:
What part is it that I need for the driver's side? there are "L" and "R" front door listings, and I assume that it would be "L" and "R" as you sit in the driver seat, but I don't want to be wrong here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
wow thats the exact part in Davids pics that broke in BOTH my handles( within days of each other )
Wow that seems weird unless you routinely carry a passenger such that the other handle is subjected to the same wear. Maybe this indicates an issue with the type of plastic they used having an expiry date which allows them to disintegrate once it has passed?

I had noted once that my Civic had held up remarkably well against the ravages of sun and time when it came to the bits of plastic in it. Another vehicle of the same model year (my grandparents Nissan, I think it was) was essentially just coming to bits as the plastic turned to dust and could just crumble with a touch in places. I had various normal wear and tear problems on my car over time, but whenever I searched online to troubleshoot, I had never come across a real noted ISSUE with my generation of civic at all until recently when my battery was draining overnight for no apparent reason. I was surprised to find that similar years of Civic were turning up in the top Google results for the same problem and it was all due to a tiny bit of plastic that normally opened the circuit to the brake lights on the pedal that broke and left that light on even when the keys were removed. I thought it interesting that Honda would have no way of predicting that particular fail, considering that it took a full 20 years for the plastic they used in that piece to age to the point of disintegrating the way that Nissan did so much sooner... Yet, it certainly seemed that there was a definitive limit to how long it would last that was being reached with some vehicles of particular vintage and causing this odd battery issue.

SO maybe the plastic in these handles is just bad plastic that dies young. I felt the passenger side handle on my CRZ was a little floppy the other day too, despite never using that door at all. I had to replace the driver side handle on my Civic too come to think of it-Similar design as these and it just ripped off the back half in my hand one day. I HAD been in a bit of a mood, though, so I thought maybe I just hulked out for a moment rather than thinking it was poor craftsmanship. :grin2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
i dont use the passenger door that much as im usually driving alone. one of the benefits of a two seater lol. my 2011 has been a florida car its whole life and i think the constant heat has played a large factor along with it being a black car to help degrade the plastics integrity.

141 - 160 of 174 Posts