Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the car sits in the sun on a hot day the door handle will not open the door when pulled. It will adventully work after a few hard tugs but I feel it's only a matter of time before I rip it off the car. I need to fix this before that happens.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've noticed the same thing on my 2011, but more so on the passenger side. I've had several passengers standing outside the car waiting for me to unlock the door when it is already unlocked.

One thing I've noticed is that if I pull the handle out and up (just a little) that it opens just fine.

Keep us posted if you take the car in, or if someone else on here has had the same problem.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Before my accident this issue was more prominent for me, the handle and what the handle was attached to seemed to bend a bit before actually openning the door.

After the accident the shop found that the handle was improperly put on (or something), the insurance paid for the fix even though the accident didn't cause it and I wasn't about to refuse a free fix.

Now, the handle is much more solid, it does flex a bit, but nothing like it was before, I noticed mine more in the winter when it was -2 out and the door was frozen shut.

Look into a DIY handle removal or something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joea, the exact same thing happens to both doors on mine. I took it to the dealer several times and they finally were able to experience the problem and ordered parts to replace the latches inside the handles.

I took it in 5 days ago to have the new parts installed and there is no change so it's back at the dealer now. I don't know if they lied about replacing them or if that wasn't the actual problem or if the replacement parts also malfunction.

I'm so frustrated, but I'll keep you posted so you know what to tell them if you decide to get it fixed.

Also, I took it in the first time while the warranty was still good and even though it's expired now, they are not charging me because the problem was noted while it was still under warranty.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The only time I have trouble with my door latches is when the door closes on the seat belt buckle. I haaaaate having to try and pop that open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
have 2011 and i notice the same issue with the passenger side after it has been sitting in the heat and the door hasn't been opened in a few days. Always thought it was just me not hitting the unlock on the keyless correctly until I got in the car and was able to open the door from the inside.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have experienced this too, my car is black and if left in the sun the drivers door sometimes refuses to open. I find if I hold the handle in the open position, pause and try again it works. Only happens during high ambient temperatures, which are probably over for this year :eek:
Could be a plastic component in the lock mechanism softening with the heat ? Just an idea.

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
I have had both my doors outer handles replaced, under warranty before it was up. First the passenger, which twisted (the inner pivoting piece which is PLASTIC!), and then the driver side. This was in 2013. This summer when it got super hot, and my car is black and has been sitting in direct sunlight it is resistant to opening the door and I hear a little creaking sound.

The techs that replaced my handles said all the moving pieces are plastic. Would explain why they get kind of "bendy" in high temperatures.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So that`s the problem!

I have had both my doors outer handles replaced, under warranty before it was up. First the passenger, which twisted (the inner pivoting piece which is PLASTIC!), and then the driver side. This was in 2013. This summer when it got super hot, and my car is black and has been sitting in direct sunlight it is resistant to opening the door and I hear a little creaking sound.

The techs that replaced my handles said all the moving pieces are plastic. Would explain why they get kind of "bendy" in high temperatures.
Thanks for the input, good to know it has a plastic construction, have to be more careful in handling. Luckily I live in a cold climate and shouldnt have the problem again.
Till next summer. :unsure:

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
Yea now I only use two fingers when opening the doors, so that I am more gentle. I also instruct passengers to be gentle on it. Or I will open the door for them :pat:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driver Side Door-Handle doesn't open door when hot and sunny outside.

I have been experiencing the same problem for about a month now with my black 2011 Honda CRZ. When it is hot and sunny outside and the sun is shining on the driver side door, it wont open. After a few good tugs, it finally opens (but not always). I often have to enter from the passenger door and open the driver door from the inside, which always works fine. The suggestion above also worked well for me for a while (i.e., lift the handle up and out and it is more like to open). Today I applied a little more pressure and the handle broke (it didn't break off the door, but it is now fully disconnected from the internal mechanism). I called the Honda dealer and spoke with their service people and they hadn't heard of this, but I'm taking in the car tomorrow at 10am and hopefully they can fix it.

I live in South Florida where it's very hot and sunny, but this only affects the driver side door. Also, if I park in a direction where the sun is hitting the passenger side door then I'm usually safe, but I often forget and end up tugging at the door to finally get it to open. Unfortunately today was the day it finally broke :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm also in South Florida and had the driver side handle brake on my 2011 Storm Silver Metallic I do like the fact that they come painted to match the car already and it was only $80. for the part which I installed myself.

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
I called the Honda dealer and spoke with their service people and they hadn't heard of this, but I'm taking in the car tomorrow at 10am and hopefully they can fix it.

Print out this thread and show them! We're all 2011s!

My two new door handles both will still do this problem if it's a hot day and my car has been sitting in the sun for more than a few hours. I know what the problem is, so I stop yanking and keep gently trying until they open. They don't do it as often as the first set of handles did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I took the car to the dealer for service and had the problem fixed. The problem was the door latch needed to be replaced. Since I didn't address the problem right away when I first noticed it (about a month ago), I also ended up breaking the door handle when getting frustrated and pulling it too hard and often in an attempt to open the door. This caused me an extra repair bill to fix the handle I broke, which was a result of my frustration and not the immediate problem.

Dealer Charges as follows:
Driver Side Door Latch (part): $200.07
Driver Side Door Handle (part): $141.37
Labor: $324.90
SUBTOTAL: $666.34
10% Discount: $66.63
Shop Fees: $10
Tax: $36.58
TOTAL PAID: $646.29

This bill would have been about half the price ($323.15) had I repaired the problem initially and not kept tugging at the handle to the point of getting frustrated and ultimately breaking it. Lesson learned :(

Despite this repair, I have 66k miles on my CRZ and am happy with it.

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
If you regularly have your Honda serviced at a Honda dealership (i.e. you have a history with Honda), they can offer you a "Honda Goodwill Warranty" if you are out of factory warranty and something broke that shouldn't have. I wonder how much $ this would reduce a door handle replacement to. When I did mine, I still had bumper-to-bumper.

I have experience with this warranty from when I had a taillight replaced due to moisture inside. My factory warranty was out, and part+labor was going to be $512. They offered me Goodwill Warranty and it only cost me $50.

Just FYI for anyone else!

·
Registered
693 Posts
My 2011 seems to be a victim of this same door handle malady. For a couple years now both outside door handles have been failing to snap back to their fully closed position after having been used, unless you push them back down. But yesterday, the outside drivers side door handle has now failed completely. You can still open the driver's door by using the inside door release, but the outside one has failed completely.

I don't look forward to a paying $646 per side to repair this. Does anyone have any experience in fixing this problem themselves?

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2011 seems to be a victim of this same door handle malady. For a couple years now both outside door handles have been failing to snap back to their fully closed position after having been used, unless you push them back down. But yesterday, the outside drivers side door handle has now failed completely. You can still open the driver's door by using the inside door release, but the outside one has failed completely.

I don't look forward to a paying $646 per side to repair this. Does anyone have any experience in fixing this problem themselves?
I haven't had experience fixing this problem on the CR-Z, but I've fixed a similar problem on a vehicle that I owned years ago in which part of the plastic linkage for the door handle failed. I just scavenged the broken plastic piece from a wrecked car and replaced the part as needed. There is no way I would spend over $600 on this type of issue...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
wow! I guess i'm NOT the only person with this problem!! I thought it was just me!

Sometimes when I pull on my drivers door handle, I have to pull again. Almost like it doesn't want to open! So what IS causing this? The exterior handle itself, or? What parts are needed to fix it? Sounds like a 2011 problem to me!!

·
Red&Black
6,005 Posts
It's the plastic link part inside that connects the actual handle to the part of the door linkage that unlocks it and allows the door to open. They should have made that part metal instead of plastic

1 - 20 of 174 Posts