Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Well the drivers side door outside door handle has been giving me trouble on & off for a while. I took the inside panel off, put some spacers on the actuator rod. Closed the door & now neither the inside or outside handles open the door. You can see lever move for both handles, moves by hand, tested the door locks & all is working. At a loss ???? What am I missing ??

· Registered
142 Posts
View attachment 70142
View attachment 70143
Well the drivers side door outside door handle has been giving me trouble on & off for a while. I took the inside panel off, put some spacers on the actuator rod. Closed the door & now neither the inside or outside handles open the door. You can see lever move for both handles, moves by hand, tested the door locks & all is working. At a loss ???? What am I missing ??
It's so sad. I actually broke the left side Aliexpress replacement handle, but almost the inner handle is opening...

These days I am thinking about modding the CR-Z like the Bo & Luke car :LOL:

· Registered
2010 Honda CR-Z 6MT GT Plus Horizon Turquoise Pearl
1 Posts
The same thing happened to my CR-Z last summer. The exterior door handle broke, this happens because in hot climate the wire gets loose and you have to apply more force to open the door. The handle ended up breaking, I bought a replacement handle in AliExpress but it broke too after 2 weeks of usage. I finally bought an original replacement at my local Honda dealer for 200€ and thanks to a YouTube video I "fixed" the cable by using some spacer to tighten it up so I don't force the handle again. It works fine now, I hope I helped a little.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for the responses.
Looks like I am going to take off the outside door handle & then break out the plastic latching assy inside the door. Should be able to open the door after that.
Then replace everything again with a used Honda assy.
I’ll post again on how it goes.

· Registered
2,822 Posts
Thank You for the responses.
Looks like I am going to take off the outside door handle & then break out the plastic latching assy inside the door. Should be able to open the door after that.
Then replace everything again with a used Honda assy.
I’ll post again on how it goes.
In order to save you some time, money and frustration I hope the answer to the following question is something along the lines of "of course I have." You've read the numerous broken handle threads and the multiple diy fix-it threads and even the couple threads from people who have engineered and produced replacement parts that they're willing to sell, right?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have done several various searches. Nothing to date on how to open a door that is stuck closed and will not open from either the side. Troubling part is that the door handles inside & outside the car are actuating the plunger as designed to release the door latch. Perhaps there is a mechanism inside the latching assy between the plunger to the door latch that has failed. I have a couple extra assy’s from another car and will take a closer look at how the internals function before I break out the failed unit on my car. There may also be something going on with the key cable to the latching assy that I am missing. Need to look at that as well.

· Registered
142 Posts
I hoped that SPOON had a reinforced handle but nope 😝

That said, I think the best solution would be a mechanism that emulates the thrunk, electronic, with a click and it opens the lock.
I always noticed how the experience of opening the CR-Z's trunk is way better that those handles.

· Registered
184 Posts
For those with symptoms of a failing door handle and the door handle hasn't completely broken off.

Tying a large zip-tie [horizontally] to the metal rod with the zip-tie "nub" positioned above the actuator/lever will fix it. If not at the very least it'll buy some time.

Got this idea after watching the "washer method" (credits and post found here) . But hadn't seen anyone use zip-ties.

Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Wire Electrical supply

@Kenny5 is this where you put your washers?

· Registered
1 Posts
This is exactly what I did to my CR-Z. door was opening OK from inside but was a very hard pull on the outside.

For those with symptoms of a failing door handle and the door handle hasn't completely broken off.

Tying a large zip-tie to the metal rod with the zip-tie "nub" positioned above the actuator/lever will at least buy some time.

I've had an new AliExpress handle ready to swap in but now it's on hold due to the zip-tie having "fixed" my failing handle for the time being.

I am not sure if this zip-tie method is documented anywhere else yet but it was easy-peasy 😁.

View attachment 70177

@Kenny5 is this where you put your washers?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts