Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 CRZ with 16000 miles

Anyone know how many quart it use for Drain & refill cvt tranny?

Thanks

:dunno:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,414 Posts
3 US QT.. Page 113 of your manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure there is a transmission filter? 3 qt seem a lot for a small tranny. my v6 accord drain and fill use 3 qt.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are you sure there is a transmission filter? 3 qt seem a lot for a small tranny. my v6 accord drain and fill use 3 qt.
I was not able to find anything about the CVT on page 113 (that page is about the wipers), but in the back, under Specifications, it says "Honda CVTF (continuously variable transmission fluid) 3.0 US qt (2.8 l) (Change)". Nothing about a filter, though. This is page 313 in the "Information" section (what else would you find in a manual, apart from information?!) with the other fluid capacities.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes, there is a filter. The most ignorant techs and parts guys will only confess of a filter deep within the case of the CVT. That's not the one you want.

Any mechanic with a half a brain can crawl under the car, identify the CVT, identify the radiator, and see two hoses that connect between the two. One of those hoses has a Honda inline filter, often used on automatic transmissions.

Do a google search for this part number and you can find drawings, pictures, and prices for this filter and the two spring clamps the hoses to the filter. 25430-PLR-003 Info for the CR-Z and second gen Insight would be the same in this regard.

"Officially", Honda does not specify this as a time change item. You would have to initiate it yourself, and you might have to show them where it is. Officially, Honda waits far to long to specify the CVT time change. Go with your heart.

If you are looking for it at your local Honda parts dept or any online Honda dealer website parts catalog (such as Bernardi), look under the section called ELECTRICAL / EXHAUST / HEATER / FUEL, then the subchaper called RADIATOR HOSE - RESERVE TANK. Items 12 and 19 should be of interest.

If you do change this filter when you drain your CVT, you will need about 3.5 quarts of Honda CVT fluid. It may not be in the manual, but I've been there and done it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It might be common sense but just thought I'd point out that draining isn't going to empty all of the fluid. With my old hybrid I had to flush then turn the car on before flushing again. Even though I poured fresh red colored fluid in on the second flush it got mixed enough with old fluid to be almost black.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...the REAL CVT filter...

Hi everybody, sorry for my awful english but here in Rome we don't need to know english, we communicate better with gestures :)

I followed with great interest this thread before changing the oil on my CVT Insight 1.3 IMA and I thought the round filter indicated that you were the only filter present in the transmission of my car.

Then I searched again and browsing the web I discovered that the real transmission filter is the part no. 2 that you can find here:

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_large_image_C50.php?block_01=17TM8A01&block_02=ATM0800&block_03=19751

(I hope you can see that link without registration, anyway it's free and very useful)

This is the real filter:

Transmission Filter for HONDA of JT492

I bought a similar filter for Daihatsu Cuore (Mira) owned by my friend and despite being equipped with a conventional automatic transmission (with torque converter), the situation is the same: there is always an oil filter that filters the lubricant from the pan.

On my Insight 2011 I only changed the CVT lubricant, at the approx. mileage of 28,000 but does someone of you know how many miles we must change the (real) filter too?

Changing that filter there's no need to adjust the quantity of oil because the pan is empty in any case when you drain it...so there's no difference between changing oil + filter or only oil

Thanks for your advise! :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
4 Should cover you, but because it's going to only be obtainable during business hours or online, I like to have an extra quart in one gets spilled, or you overfill or something silly.

It'll take around 3.5ish. Just keep checking it, the spot between the dots is pretty narrow. All people on here really do is the in-line filter, but personally I think it's overkill so i think we are just going to do it every other time, which is still much better than what Honda will tell you to do.

A 3/8" breaker bar can be helpful to, one with not a very long handle. Ours was in there rather solid both times I've done it and the first time was the first it had ever been drained, second time it was still pretty hard to crack but the breaker bar made it easy. I say just get the right tool because you don't want to strip the head out or break a larger ratchet when you stick it into the socket cap bolt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts