Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
seems this cars ground is the chassis, as in instead of running a ground wire to a main ground harness that goes to the chassis, it relies on the chassis to be the ground harness. So if the electrical component needs a ground it goes through the component housing to the chassis. Disconnecting the battery kills the power and the component doesnt need that ground which was "removed" when disconnecting the part....O2 sensor may be grounded through the exhaust piping to the engine to the chassis. So disconnecting the battery may eliminate the posibility of getting a CEL for this reason. I could and probably am completely wrong but some of this assumption is from issues from people putting in a CAI without disconnecting the battery and unplugging the MAF and then when its all put together they get a CEL. Disconnect the battery and then no CEL.

I am probably way off but better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took her for a 20 mile trip after reseting the computer. Sound wise there is only a slight difference from inside the cabin but that is expected as the pipe is right under the seats. As for power its not really enough to feel it but I did notice more pull in the higher rpms. As I was on my test drive a late 90's prelude pulled up next to me on the highway going about 60mph and wanted to "go" I went from 6th to 3rd and pulled away to 80 quickly.

The install was relatively easy on a lift. The "broken" gasket sealed up just fine as expected and 8mm bolts from lowes worked just fine. No CEL so far also as expected.

As for the video clip the exhuast note didn't change or get any louder at all.

Any questions?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
seems this cars ground is the chassis, as in instead of running a ground wire to a main ground harness that goes to the chassis, it relies on the chassis to be the ground harness. So if the electrical component needs a ground it goes through the component housing to the chassis. Disconnecting the battery kills the power and the component doesnt need that ground which was "removed" when disconnecting the part....O2 sensor may be grounded through the exhaust piping to the engine to the chassis. So disconnecting the battery may eliminate the posibility of getting a CEL for this reason. I could and probably am completely wrong but some of this assumption is from issues from people putting in a CAI without disconnecting the battery and unplugging the MAF and then when its all put together they get a CEL. Disconnect the battery and then no CEL.

I am probably way off but better safe then sorry.
Thanks for the answer.

I was intially thinking this was some old wives tale (old mechanics tale if you want to stay car related)!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
do you have a 6MT or an AT? the HKS products i have dont dyno much but i feel a difference in response from the throttle. Have you noticed anything like that?

Also, a mod like this gets better with supporting items. If your exhaust bottleneks it again you dont realize the true gains. Ill see what happens when i get mine on. Thanks for the mini-review. Let us know if anything changes after the ECU has some time to adjust to it.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Hey Joea, thanks for the report. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do you have a 6MT or an AT? the HKS products i have dont dyno much but i feel a difference in response from the throttle. Have you noticed anything like that?

Also, a mod like this gets better with supporting items. If your exhaust bottleneks it again you dont realize the true gains. Ill see what happens when i get mine on. Thanks for the mini-review. Let us know if anything changes after the ECU has some time to adjust to it.
I have the 6mt and this is my first performance mod. I have done cat back exhaust and intakes on my other vehicles and I have noticed the increase throttle response then but as you said my stock exhaust is a bottleneck. I plan on doing an intake and axle back exhaust on this car down the road and I do think that all of these things together will really make a difference.

I wish I would have borrowed a g-tech and did some runs before and after but I didn't so shame on me. And sorry no pics, I will be changing my oil in the next week and I will snap some then. This whole process took a lot longer then I thought it would and I just wanted it done and on my car instead of in the trunk

No problem everyone glad I could give my .02

·
Registered
98 Posts
Doesn't sound like its really worth it then is it :(
By itself, the downpipe will not appear to be effective...but as others have said, with supporting mods (freer flowing exhaust, intake, tune, throttle body, etc.) the mod will be worth it.

You cannot look at modifications (especially breathing mods) as standalone improvements, it is important to think in related systems of improvement.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
By itself, the downpipe will not appear to be effective...but as others have said, with supporting mods (freer flowing exhaust, intake, tune, throttle body, etc.) the mod will be worth it.

You cannot look at modifications (especially breathing mods) as standalone improvements, it is important to think in related systems of improvement.
5hp and 10 on the torque side advertised. On the CR-Z, that should make a difference and one that should noticeable...

:rules::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.