Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has replaced these? Part is listed ad "tape", I will probably have to peel it off but don't want to make things worse. Numbers in the diagram are 5 and 6.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Automotive lighting Automotive design Font Parallel Slope

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yes, multiple times. It is painted the color of the car underneath but it's not well clear-coated and will have a bit of orange peel look to it. Removing the old tape is time consuming, you'll need goo gone (or remove after the cars been sitting in the sun) or similar as well as isopropyl to remove the goo gone and prep for a clean surface for the new trim tape. Looks bad without the tape but I'm guessing those with black CR-Zs would look fine.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
To add further information, it is a 3M vinyl tape that Honda uses, not sure which one specifically as it doesn't say on the backing but it is good quality and has some stretch to it without thinning which is necessary because of how it wraps around the door. If you wanted you could probably get away with cutting your own vinyl if you have some and have done vinyl work before but the factory one is nicely cut; just requires patience when lining up and applying. Go slow. You should remove the vertical plastic trim piece on rear edge of the door and the side view mirror as it will underlap with them and roll down the window and pull down the rubber door window channel as it wraps around the door and under the channel.

Edit also when you're done and pushing all the rubber door/window channel gaskets back in make sure to pull back the edges to see and ensure they're properly seated. They might feel like they press back in easy by hand but you'll be able to see clearly by prying back the edge if they're not completely seated in the tiny metal lip across the door. Sliding the rubber back and forth can help it slip into the channels. Don't want any leaks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To add further information, it is a 3M vinyl tape that Honda uses, not sure which one specifically as it doesn't say on the backing but it is good quality and has some stretch to it without thinning which is necessary because of how it wraps around the door. If you wanted you could probably get away with cutting your own vinyl if you have some and have done vinyl work before but the factory one is nicely cut; just requires patience when lining up and applying. Go slow. You should remove the vertical plastic trim piece on rear edge of the door and the side view mirror as it will underlap with them and roll down the window and pull down the rubber door window channel as it wraps around the door and under the channel.

Edit also when you're done and pushing all the rubber door/window channel gaskets back in make sure to pull back the edges to see and ensure they're properly seated. They might feel like they press back in easy by hand but you'll be able to see clearly by prying back the edge if they're not completely seated in the tiny metal lip across the door. Sliding the rubber back and forth can help it slip into the channels. Don't want any leaks.
Thanks for the added details. I had previously replaced the door weatherseal youre talking about and yeah getting in the channel through me for a loop at first.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got the balls to go through with this. Just finished getting the old one off. Scrubbed it down with goo gone followed by CarPro Eraser which basically removes all oils like an alcohol would do. Waiting on the girlfriend to come by to lend me her hands so I dont botch the new one and rip the door off the hinges lol. She is very patient and good at art type projects and will prove invaluable for finishing this up. Cleaned up 6 years of grime under the sideview mirror while i was in there.

·
Registered
2012 NSBP EX CVT
187 Posts
I bought the drivers side door seal and am going to replace that as previous owner broke the seal getting in and out of the car. Haven't gotten around to putting it in yet though. Was thinking of doing these pieces as well. Thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts