Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just took ownership of a poorly maintained and neglected 2011 CR-Z EX model with automatic transmission and the stock navigation unit. It drives surprisingly well and seems to be in good working order despite the years of neglect.

The issue I cannot find a fix for is that when I am driving the car the door open warning appears and dings when I hit any little bump. It shows that the driver's door is open from the display.

I have tried installing a new door jamb switch, taping the new one down so it is constantly closed, adding spacers to make sure the door is making contact with the switch, removing the switch and driving without it, and I have even tried removing the passenger door switch as well. And no matter what I do the issue still persists.

The confusing part to me is that the door open warning happens even when there are no door jamb switches in the car.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sounds like there may be a short happening in the door switch wiring. I'd put an ohmmeter on it and see if it shows continuity when it shouldn't. If it does try moving the harness around to see if you can locate the trouble spot. Pay close attention to the hose at the front of the door where the wiring passes through and flexes as the door opens and closes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like there may be a short happening in the door switch wiring. I'd put an ohmmeter on it and see if it shows continuity when it shouldn't. If it does try moving the harness around to see if you can locate the trouble spot. Pay close attention to the hose at the front of the door where the wiring passes through and flexes as the door opens and closes.
Thanks for the response. I figured out what the issue was. The car had an aftermarket alarm system in it and the wires for the alarm were spliced in at the fuse box with those alligator clip things where they splice in at the middle of a wire. I removed the splices and the aftermarket alarm system and that has resolved the issue. It must have not been grounding correctly causing the door open warning to go off.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
8,675 Posts
There is a whole discussion on this forum about proper techniques for doing wiring DIY Electrical: Tools, Tips, Techniques, Parts. I prefer solder and heat shrink. Others use crimp connector and sometimes tape. Alligator clips are only used for temporary testing and things like jump starters, and should never ever be used permanently. I don't even use them for my battery charger maintainer, I have a proper quick disconnect for it. I will use them for the jump starter.

Many issues come down to poor interconnects and the first thing to look for when something odd happens. Glad you found it, and I hope any insulation that is missing for those connections was replaced with good electrical tape to prevent shorts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts