Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a medium size dog, 60 lbs, that can easily jump into the back hatchback area of my Prius. I like the CRZ but I notice the CRZ hatch is higher because there is a few inches of height between the tailgate and the actual hatch area, so my dog would have to jump over this "hurdle" (don't know what else to call it haha) into the actual hatchback area. This "hurdle" seems too high for my dog to jump over. With small dogs you just place them back there and big dogs won't fit, but medium dogs are too big to lift into the hatchback area and need to jump in. Does anyone with a CRZ have a medium size dog they travel with that sits in the hatchback area, and is it an easy jump for the dog? Or do you use other options like a dog ramp?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I carry a mixed breed dog on my 75 mile each way 4 day per week commute (dog looks like a big border collie but supposed to be 1/2 labrador and is around 55/60 lbs). Now that she's 14 yrs., she needs a ramp. Her ramp slides into the hatch next to her (telecoping plastic ramp with handle and clip) and I have a velcro strap I put on the left side to keep it from falling on the dog. She loves the car with its higher viewpoint and direct line of sight to the a/c :thumbsup:

I measured the roof ht. when I bought the car and she has 2 inches clearance when she stands. We have a 370Z too, and she hates that hatch as it's too low. She is much happier with CRZ than when she rides in SUV or station wagon type cars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My chocolate lab (60 lbs) loves it back there. I usually put one of her poofy pillow beds on the cargo tray to make it more comfortable for longer trips but Spammy has never complained. She loves staring out the back as we're cruising along.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My chocolate lab (60 lbs) loves it back there. I usually put one of her poofy pillow beds on the cargo tray to make it more comfortable for longer trips but Spammy has never complained. She loves staring out the back as we're cruising along.
I also have a yellow lab 60 lbs and am wondering does your chocolate lab jump up easily over the "hurdle" or do you pick her up and put her in the hatchback or do you have her climb up into the hatchback area through the doors?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also have a yellow lab 60 lbs and am wondering does your chocolate lab jump up easily over the "hurdle" or do you pick her up and put her in the hatchback or do you have her climb up into the hatchback area through the doors?
Well my dog is elderly (15) so I lift her but when she was younger she could easily have jumped. If I let her crawl in, I just let her go through the front. I always keep the rear "seat" folded down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My pal is a 60 lb. Labradoodle who easy hops into the hatch. I placed a doggie pillow for him in the back and he absolutely loves it back there. It's like a man-cave for a dog (a dog cave!).

One thing - I got the windows tinted a few weeks ago so he isn't blasted by the sun.

It always surprises me how much stuff I can fit in the back.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My Kaze (Kah-zee) goes in through the side door. I just have the passenger seat forward and the seat back forward and he walks right in and lays down. An earlier thread has pix of him in there. you shouldn't have any trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.