Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
2013 spare tire kit

I have a 2013 CR-Z EX. I installed the official Honda Spare Tire Kit according to directions (not difficult at all) but it did raise the floor by 2 inches so that the cargo cover could no longer be stored in the floor area securely. The new kit hangs out a bit from both sides of the floor cover (once it's laid on top of the kit) and the floor cover no longer fastens down into the clips on top of the IPU duct cover as one of the clip holes is covered by the right tool kit. It also creates an uneven floor as the floor cover slopes down on the front side of the kit.

No idea why Honda thought this was a valid fix. There's room behind the battery, would be great if Honda utilized that space for the tire and developed a secure tire rack.

·
Deputy Forum Librarian
4,781 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pictures of installed spare tire

These are the pictures of the installed kit for a USA model:
Honda CRZ spare tire kit 315 - Copy.jpg
Honda CRZ spare tire kit 316 - Copy.jpg
Honda CRZ spare tire kit 317 - Copy.jpg
Honda CRZ spare tire kit 318 - Copy.jpg

If you can't live without a spare then it's better than nothing. You can find the kit on Honda's E-store and then shop around for a better price. The kit I ordered online from a Honda dealer was less than what my local dealers could give me and that's with paying freight. It wasn't hard to install, I installed it and uninstalled it twice - second time was so that I could take the pictures and show the dealer that it didn't fit properly so that I could return it.

·
Deputy Forum Librarian
4,781 Posts
These are the pictures of the installed kit for a USA model:
View attachment 6098
View attachment 6106
View attachment 6114
View attachment 6122

If you can't live without a spare then it's better than nothing. You can find the kit on Honda's E-store and then shop around for a better price. The kit I ordered online from a Honda dealer was less than what my local dealers could give me and that's with paying freight. It wasn't hard to install, I installed it and uninstalled it twice - second time was so that I could take the pictures and show the dealer that it didn't fit properly so that I could return it.
It's not bad! Better to have it than none.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep when I bought my kit, I had the same problem it stood a bit higher than it should. But I kept it for the fact I dont want to not have a blowout and no spare again. The only thing I dont like is that you cant put the curtain on the lower mounts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was torn between keeping it and returning it. I was ticked about how it fit and that Honda didn't have any kind of warning on their website about the changes it would make once installed. I'm still hopeful that Honda might develop a better alternative, but not holding by breath.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
What a lot of manufactures are NOT telling you, re: the aerosol can type flat tire and inflation kit, is... Once the sealer is injected into the tire (tyre), that tire is screwed.

You CANNOT reasonably remove the hardened foam from the tire, it will be impossible to balance the tire and rim. The tire becomes instant garbage. The rim will take time to clean also.

Spare tire and rim stowed in car....priceless.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well I went ahead and bought the spare kit and tire.
Bad news is it does stick up about an inch above where the board should lie. However it's not terribly bad and the board does lie flat. Also no chance of being stranded again just for a flat.
just remember to check the spare tire pressure occassionally,
it's no good back there flat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check the air pressure AND make sure you can get the lug nuts off your other wheels. I've had shops put the lug nuts on so tight I couldn't get them to budge.

I went ahead and added road side assistance through my insurance. Well worth the 50 cents a month it's going to cost me.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It kind of sucks that this spare tire option is so janky all because of the newer/larger battery. I'm probably in the minority, but I don't believe the S+ button is worth all this nonsense. Having a spare tire in a vehicle is pretty essential, but the poor fitment of this kit makes it seem like it's the ultimate poster child definition for 'afterthought'.

Don't get me wrong, if my '11 was totaled out, I would get a 2013-14-15, and the spare tire kit. But I'd be wishing the whole time that it fit like it did in my '11.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I just checked and there wasn't any styrofoam underneath the spare. I am glad I took a look at it because my spare was at 12 PSI and I had to bring it up to 60 PSI.

I like the 2013's, but to be honest; I prefer my 2011. The only thing I wish it had is the 2012's reinforced roof that gave it the higher safety rating.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I put the spare tire kit in my 2013. The new brace under the tire, is almost exactly like the one that's already there, but with a few metal pieces to support the tire. There is new foam to fit around the spare (not under it), but it's just the width of the tire that sets the back up about 1 1/2 to 2".

1. If you want it to look good, get a new rear cargo area liner, as you can see the foam stick out on either side of the old one.
2. Gas mileage does not appear to change. Of course, I put mine in the first month I got the car, and my mileage has improved significantly in the last 20K miles. It may be in spite of having the new spare. Personally, I don't think of the weight as relevant. I believe the spare was left out simply because there was not enough room to do it correctly; the 2013 battery pack must just stick up higher.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I've seen the kit looks to be about $600. Is that right or has anyone found it cheaper elsewhere? I'd like to get one for my 2013 before winter this year

·
Registered
18 Posts
From what I've seen the kit looks to be about $600. Is that right or has anyone found it cheaper elsewhere? I'd like to get one for my 2013 before winter this year
$600 is crazy and more than twice what I paid for my sister-in-laws spare tire kit.

See if your local dealer will price match the 06421-SZT-A50 spare tire kit with the lowest price you find online. E-store prices suck, use Google to search the part number.

Get the tire from Bridgestone and save $30-$40. T135/80D15 is what you want.

Total cost: $268

FWIW, that spare tire pump comes in handy for blowing up pool toys, bike tires, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
kit found cheap but tire not so much

Found the kit as cheap as 120 from Honda Parts Network + shipping ~$19. Local dealer wants about $200+tax + tire + mounting...

Did you (or anyone) just pick up a T135/80/15 and get it mounted on the wheels that comes with the kit? Cheapest for just tire I'm finding is $90 (ebay tire rack) + mounting.

Still comes to about $250 vs about $400 with my local dealer.

Where'd you get the tire for $30-$40?

And anyone have any idea why Honda is charging such an incredible markup? Is there something I'm missing here about that tire or are they just marking this up like crazy?

Thanks.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts