Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pondering on the idea of using my 2013 base CRZ (automatic CVT) to door dash or uber eats as a side gig.

My only concern is the under hood battery dying on me, and hybrid battery and related components not being able to handle the constant short trips and on/off cycles that will happen as I pick up the food & drop it off at the final destination/s.

Does any one have any experience doing this? If so, what are the pros and cons?

What items should I be looking to purchase to secure deliveries on the cargo area?

What parts have you had to replace as a result of constantly opening and closing doors/etc?

· Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
311 Posts
I do a lot of short trips (under 3 miles) constantly (3-5 times daily) and my 12V battery is still quite strong. It's 4 years old at this point. I've had the car for a year.

I'd suggest using an insulated food delivery bag. Find one with fabric that won't really slip around on the rear carpet. I've got a buddy who used to deliver (he found out it was really not worth his time) and used two of these in his trunk to great effect. One large and one small.

e.g.:

· Registered
2010 GT Milano Red
18 Posts
I am pondering on the idea of using my 2013 base CRZ (automatic CVT) to door dash or uber eats as a side gig.

My only concern is the under hood battery dying on me, and hybrid battery and related components not being able to handle the constant short trips and on/off cycles that will happen as I pick up the food & drop it off at the final destination/s.

What items should I be looking to purchase to secure deliveries on the cargo area?

What parts have you had to replace as a result of constantly opening and closing doors/etc?
I never did something like that, but on the motorways with a lot of start stop, I can do about 6-7 starts stop before the battery run flat. On Consumption, I would say that if doing around 45mpg you will be in 35? Time in a while make a trip of about 60 miles to "recover" battery and avoid carbon deposits.
Open and close, crz are known for have a weak opening wire that a few members here need to replace. Mine is failing but still get going. And I would change the oil more regularly, maybe every 3000-5000 miles? Is it worth it? Only the time will say.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do a lot of short trips (under 3 miles) constantly (3-5 times daily) and my 12V battery is still quite strong. It's 4 years old at this point. I've had the car for a year.

I'd suggest using an insulated food delivery bag. Find one with fabric that won't really slip around on the rear carpet. I've got a buddy who used to deliver (he found out it was really not worth his time) and used two of these in his trunk to great effect. One large and one small.

e.g.:
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping the storage bags was something the delivery apps provided you with but its a good idea of intial costs.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never did something like that, but on the motorways with a lot of start stop, I can do about 6-7 starts stop before the battery run flat. On Consumption, I would say that if doing around 45mpg you will be in 35? Time in a while make a trip of about 60 miles to "recover" battery and avoid carbon deposits.
Open and close, crz are known for have a weak opening wire that a few members here need to replace. Mine is failing but still get going. And I would change the oil more regularly, maybe every 3000-5000 miles? Is it worth it? Only the time will say.
Yeah, I am mostly concerned about door handles. With this being a hybrid, I am also concerned how it handles being used as a delivery car when compared to an old ICE econobox from the 1990s or 2000s.

I have set the oil maintenance minded and it seems to kick down to ~20% around the 5000 mile range, so no worries there

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a good way to lose money while trashing your car at the same time.
This is the case for sure but I am already using it daily for a very short commute. Using to deliver food will actually have me driving it more as to allow the hybrid battery to properly cycle.

That said, it does comes with a lot if cons as opposed to just going out on joy rides to achieve the same result

· Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
534 Posts
As someone who worked at a big national chain tire shop I can say I have witnessed what happens to these cars. The owners can't afford any decent repairs or parts. They get absolutely destroyed on the interior too. Once I saw a Ford Focus roll in with only 24k miles with bald tires showing cords and the owner couldn't afford to replace them or the dirty air filters. Do not expect the car to last in the long run. You get no benefits from work as you are considered a contractor and you have tompay for all of your expenses. You will still lose a lot more than you gain. One person driving for Uber Eats reported driving for 12 hours only netted a little over $120 earned and had to pay for almost $60 in gas alone. That's a little over $5 an hour. Factoring in maintenance you're basically driving the car at a loss. Again, do not do this.
This is the case for sure but I am already using it daily for a very short commute. Using to deliver food will actually have me driving it more as to allow the hybrid battery to properly cycle.

That said, it does comes with a lot if cons as opposed to just going out on joy rides to achieve the same result

· Registered
39 Posts

Hey man,
I used to do pizza delivery out of my Z. It was pretty good, most of my deliveries were roughly 8-12 mins each way. This allowed me to get roughly 40 mpg (6 mt btw) on most of my trips. The best thing was insulated bags for large pizza boxes which I could hold 2 of which the “seats” up or 4 with them down. I’m not sure if it was time or use but my truck shocks got weak but they were like $20 to replace. With 1-2 deliveries I paid off gas for a week and was able to pocket the rest of the money. I’d recommend getting a wireless Bluetooth transmitter for your radio/phone to be able to use maps faster and easier. Good luck!

· Registered
3 Posts
I do Jimmy johns delivery with it and doordash on the side with 118000 miles now still going super strong, no problems with absolutely anything. The real problem you'll have is getting in and out of the damn thing if you're even slightly taller than 5'8 lmao. If that's what you want to do, this is the car you want to do it in.

· Registered
53 Posts
I have been delivering UBEREATS with a 2011 crz 6speed with158k miles for 6 years. Over 6k delivery’s. 2 door handles and 2 12v batts but the first of each was used when I started. Everything else just normal maintenance. the 12v battery gives no warning before it dies And still has power but won’t turn over the car. All ways try to jump it if it wont turn over.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Staying somewhat on topic. What would you consider the bare minimum commute this car needa to avoid any mechanical or electrical issues?

I have heard its bad for most cars if your commutes to work/school ate short. Anything under a couple miles or minutes is not recommended. I found myself purposely driving around in circles to clock in some time and miles as my commute is short. Any input is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts