Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My idiot friend wants to sit in the car and turn it on...

first thing he does is reach in toward the gauge and tap it three times with his damn finger nail...

SCRATCHED!

Don't even think about touching the Gauge Glass! It's closer then you think and it will scratch with a tap!

I tried the softest microfiber cloth (came with my macbook pro) I own to try and get it out and you can see it clear as day...RIGHT over the speedometer.

I'm besides myself...

I know it's just a scratch...but seriously...I didn't even do it...and the car is 24 hours old!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sounds like there's a need for screen protectors cut for the gauge glass.

·
Registered
579 Posts
yep. i know how u feel. i accidentaly scratched mine after a few days. Fortunatly is a small nick, only noticable at night when the dash lights come on. Cant see it during day time. Mines right over the speedo too. Sucks. I'm suprised its so soft. In my prelude, i took apart the gauges tons of times, never one scratch. I just try to forget about it...TRY lol
Also, do not use any solvents or liquid solutions on the gauges/plastic!

It's so hard to resist touching the gauges. I mean now, i know. But it's almost like you need to put a disclaimer so others wont mess with it while exploring the car.

When i clean the gauges or dash, i use a microfiber rag or just blow the dust off. It's a finger print magnet.

·
Registered
579 Posts
thing is, that plastic is sooo sensitive, i'm afraid to put anything on it. Or even use plastic scratch remover. I'm just gonna leave it. Too risky. Maybe honda will get enough complaints or issues with it and they will come out with a recall. *lol* We can only hope.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BILLY MAZE HERE W/ SCRATCH DOCTOR

j/k. that sucks. was your friend at least sorry?
He wasn't sorry till the grace time for saying sorry had passed and he had already gotten two phone calls where he was cursed off and one text message (all while i was trying to clean off scratches, knowing full well that scratches don't "clean" off)

I just talked to my brother...he once used a plastic polish for a similar problem...I'm going to ask the dealer about that...and maybe buy some and let my bro give it a shot (he's much more patient them I am)

If worse comes to worse...I'll find out how much the plastic enclosure costs. I'm pretty sure with dash stuff you can't just buy small parts...so when the CR-Z parts become available...I'll look into it.

to everyone else...I know you want to touch it...it looks all 3D and what not...just don't...and don't let anyone sit in your drivers side...they will probably end up touching it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thing is, that plastic is sooo sensitive, i'm afraid to put anything on it. Or even use plastic scratch remover. I'm just gonna leave it. Too risky. Maybe honda will get enough complaints or issues with it and they will come out with a recall. *lol* We can only hope.
From what I read...lots of gauge plastic is sensitive like this...the clearer the plastic...the softer.

I have to assume that plastic polish makers are aware of this.

My scratch is a hair line scratch...I imagine that only a little polish is needed to fix it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a little hairline scratch too, and I have no idea where it came from.

Screen protector FTW lol
As angry/upset as I am...I wonder if this is just something that is going to happen...even without someone "fingering" the gauge.

I mean...eventually you are going to have to clean dust off of it...I can imagine the simple act of dusting might scratch it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.