Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Doess this look like it’s worth $600?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, they are genuine trash. I know everybody loves their pretty liveries and their videos of high revving engines, but they don’t sell you those. They sold me an oil pan I can best describe the welds by calling them “pidgeon sh*t.” The tuning shop who did my supercharger install, King Motorsports, and other people I’ve talked to including other shops and some people in Japan, have all told me Spoon Sports is garbage. Doing some digging I’ve found that the parts they don’t make (brake calipers, suspension, etc.) are decent. But the ones they do make are embarassing.

The welds on the oil pan really speak for themselves. They’ll hold, but I would not pay $600 for that ever again.
Brown Wood Font Rectangle Material property
Fluid Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Material property
Water Liquid Hood Fluid Automotive exterior
Leg Human body Automotive tire Gesture Grey
Human body Jaw Chest Trunk Art
Automotive tire Hood Grey Water Automotive design

·
Registered
304 Posts
OEM new pan free of oil contaminates. Dimple dies and the IP of the baffle shape. Crater cracked aluminum welds. High labor costs of Japan. And lastly ricer tax.

$600 checks out. Welds could be better.

I did a $150 weld in baffle for an S2000. My welds were nicer...

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
those welds aren't pretty. but they look solid enough for the purpose.

and as ryan said, lots of various reasons it's expensive - new oil pan alone costs $300.

especially if you bought it from a reseller here in the US, where they are going to be adding a markup on top...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow, so the products Spoon Sports actually manufacture are bad? Well, the welding on this oil pan says so. I have the calipers and suspension kit which I like, obviously they did not manufacture it according to this. 😅 I guess the question is even though it does not look like $600, will the buffle oil pan do its job properly without breaking or leaking.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Googling for this exact part shows that's what they look like. It's an aluminum barrier in a non-moving non-load bearing opening. What's it have like a dozen little weld beads spaced around; perfectly fine. Most understand that Spoon/Mugen products are a combination of Genuine Honda, often using modified OEM base parts as with this oil pan, with a sort of Gucci-style reputation, marketing and pricing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Lots of examples of welds breaking on welded in oil baffles. Oil is heavy and sloshing it back and forth at a high rate of speed quickly work hardens and breaks welds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, so the products Spoon Sports actually manufacture are bad? Well, the welding on this oil pan says so. I have the calipers and suspension kit which I like, obviously they did not manufacture it according to this. 😅 I guess the question is even though it does not look like $600, will the buffle oil pan do its job properly without breaking or leaking.
Showa makes the suspension and Nissin makes the calipers. Both are OEM manufacturers and make OE Honda CR-Z parts. I am considering Spoon’s calipers because they are rebuildable and they can fit in 16” wheels, unlike the HPD brake kit.
Googling for this exact part shows that's what they look like. It's an aluminum barrier in a non-moving non-load bearing opening. What's it have like a dozen little weld beads spaced around; perfectly fine. Most understand that Spoon/Mugen products are a combination of Genuine Honda, often using modified OEM base parts as with this oil pan, with a sort of Gucci-style reputation, marketing and pricing.
Except Mugen actually IS nice. The exhaust, titanium emblem, rear wing, front grille and more I’ve bought from Mugen are absolutely top tier. Even my father, a mechanical engineer of more than 40 years of experience, is always surprised with the stuff they make as he’s never seen anything like what they do at such a scale. Spoon Sports relies on pure marketing and their products they make themselves are junk.
See Mugen’s work here:
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Font Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Door Alloy wheel Bumper
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

those welds aren't pretty. but they look solid enough for the purpose.

and as ryan said, lots of various reasons it's expensive - new oil pan alone costs $300.

especially if you bought it from a reseller here in the US, where they are going to be adding a markup on top...
Nope. Bought it through my favorite importer basically at retailer cost. That’s what it costs with shipping and other fees.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Showa makes the suspension and Nissin makes the calipers. Both are OEM manufacturers and make OE Honda CR-Z parts. I am considering Spoon’s calipers because they are rebuildable and they can fit in 16” wheels, unlike the HPD brake kit.
Wilwood DPHA calipers! Half the price of the spoons and a higher quality caliper with better pad options. Will bolt right on to the CR-Z with the 10.3" rotor. Toss some Brembo blanks at it and have really fantastic brakes for cheap. Fits under stock 15" Honda wheels.

I run these on my K swapped Insight under 15" Civic hybrid wheels. Sadly that means they are not visible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wilwood DPHA calipers! Half the price of the spoons and a higher quality caliper with better pad options. Will bolt right on to the CR-Z with the 10.3" rotor. Toss some Brembo blanks at it and have really fantastic brakes for cheap. Fits under stock 15" Honda wheels.

I run these on my K swapped Insight under 15" Civic hybrid wheels. Sadly that means they are not visible.
Seems like a hell of a deal! But for my build, as much as possible has to come from Japan. The exporter I know can get a much better deal than sticker price (although not as cheap as those Wilwoods) and I have plenty of pad and rotor options. The rotors I want for mine are two piece SCR Pro rotors from Project Mu and the pads are the MX72 Plus from Endless. A friend in Japan recommended some of the parts like the pads. But if you wanna follow along you can view my build here: SkittyDoogle build thread: HPD Supercharger installed...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Except Mugen actually IS nice. The exhaust, titanium emblem, rear wing, front grille and more I’ve bought from Mugen are absolutely top tier. Even my father, a mechanical engineer of more than 40 years of experience, is always surprised with the stuff they make as he’s never seen anything like what they do at such a scale. Spoon Sports relies on pure marketing and their products they make themselves are junk.
See Mugen’s work here:
That doesn't change the fact that your photos match all of the same product photos on the web.

I've been in the Honda aftermarket community for almost two decades now. I know mugen is nice but many of their products are way more expensive than comparable products from other manufacturers and are thus paying a premium for the name (and subjective aesthetic, ie form over function). I've also used a baffled oil pan for HPDE at racetracks across the country (it's intended use; roadcourse driving) Virginia International to Buttonwillow Raceway, nearly a decade of extremely hard use, 4/32" shaved R-compound tires (lots of "heavy sloshing") and never had a problem with welds.

The discounting others knowledge and experience is logical fallacy bs and serves no purpose other than argument. The point is if one spent just a minute searching then they'd know what they were getting. It's not like spoon was trying to hide what it looks like, its all right there. You knew what you were getting. Return it or sell it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That doesn't change the fact that your photos match all of the same product photos on the web.

I've been in the Honda aftermarket community for almost two decades now. I know mugen is nice but many of their products are way more expensive than comparable products from other manufacturers and are thus paying a premium for the name (and subjective aesthetic, ie form over function). I've also used a baffled oil pan for HPDE at racetracks across the country (it's intended use; roadcourse driving) Virginia International to Buttonwillow Raceway, nearly a decade of extremely hard use, 4/32" shaved R-compound tires (lots of "heavy sloshing") and never had a problem with welds.

The discounting others knowledge and experience is logical fallacy bs and serves no purpose other than argument. The point is if one spent just a minute searching then they'd know what they were getting. It's not like spoon was trying to hide what it looks like, its all right there. You knew what you were getting. Return it or sell it.
You’re right. It does not change the fact that it matches the photos. But what I am trying to convey is that it is still junk and nobody I’ve ever talked to beforehand has ever mentioned their pidgeon sh*t welds. Had I seen a better picture I’d probably have agreed with you, but alas I did not. So I now meet as many as I can and warn them beforehand so they can avoid such a disappointing purchase. Also, good luck trying to sell a used oil pan meant for a car that has an incredibly niché market for anything close to its original value. It’s not like many CR-Z owners here are flooding my messages with offers.

As per discounting experience, I don’t quite understand who’s experience I’m discounting. I paid for these products with my own money and came to my own conclusion that they are junk. You may come to whatever conclusion you’d like. Mugen at the very least makes much higher quality products and demand a premium for doing so, which I have determined to be true as they have exceeded my expectations time and time again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@SkittyDoogle what was your reasoning for purchasing the Spoon "Buffle" oil pan vs any other option?
It was a big name that has a hefty reputation, and I was unaware of other companies that made a baffled oil pan. Taking it autocrossing meant oil flow is pretty critical so I picked it up. If anything I’m glad I did because now I can tell everyone about Spoon’s products and I can avoid them in the future.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
717 Posts
Oof, those welds look awful lol. In fariness I'm not into the car modding scene too much, but I feel that if you're paying $600 for a part from a name brand, it should be nice. Sure, it may work, but wheres the pride? Where's the high workmanship?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Grab the added baffles and see if you can rip them out.

Are they structurally sound but just not aesthetically pleasing welds? Comparing them to the robotic welds on the Mugen muffler is a bit silly; they're inside the pan which once installed will never be seen again. The pan is cast aluminum and attached to a cast aluminum block, doesn't flex. There's this false notion that welding has to look like a stack of coins laid out and anything that doesn't is inferior or subpar. Look at the welds on the OEM CR-Z exhaust for example; solid bead, no 'stack of dimes' look whatsoever, there's weld spatter, it's not at all aesthetically pleasing but strong and effective and will last decades.

Also these mass produced pans from the likes of Spoon and Mugen (I've had Mugen pans on other Hondas) only offer minimal baffling; usually just an added ceiling and a tiny added vertical wall or two. There's no trapdoors, there's no baffling on the bottom of the pan around the pickup/sump. These pans are suitable for light occasional track use but the best option (and usually less expensive) is to add one's own more extensive baffling to a factory pan. If you don't have your own means of fabrication any machine shop could cut sections of aluminum baffling and weld them in.

And if it's just the welds that upset you could always take it to a shop and have them draw out some longer beads.

·
Registered
977 Posts

I can attest to the performance of the DHPA calipers. They are excellent as a daily street brake upgrade if paired with some EBC slotted rotors however... I noticed the beginnings of brake fade when I used them on the Dragon. They aren't as bad as a completely stock brake setup but I feel like some larger rotors are a must for this car if you are doing some hard driving on twisty roads with heavy brake use.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
It was a big name that has a hefty reputation, and I was unaware of other companies that made a baffled oil pan. Taking it autocrossing meant oil flow is pretty critical so I picked it up. If anything I’m glad I did because now I can tell everyone about Spoon’s products and I can avoid them in the future.
I'm not a welder by trade but I have successfully melted metal together in a structurally sound manner and those Spoon spot welds look no better than mine. And for that reason alone I say that it's definitely not worth the price you paid.
Big name, big reputation, EXCLUSIVITY, all things that add up to a big price tag that some people are willing to pay for, oftentimes while foregoing proper research, just to get a product that the "cool kids" think they must have to impress the other "cool kids."
Here's the thing though, if you're so disappointed with the aesthetic quality, and especially if one of the welds is cracked like @ryanthegreat1 pointed out, contact your distributor and Spoon and return it. Or just keep trying to impress and/or annoy people by complaining about how much you're spending on the big name parts just to have big name parts because JDM, because RACECAR.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts