Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
When I got my car last year it had Yokohamas in a "plus-zero" 205/55 size. I didn't think they were a proper fit for the stock wheels and I recently replaced them with Continental PureContact LS Eco tires in the correct 195/55 size. I find the directional stability to be better with the narrower tires and the handling is fine for the street driving I do on our wonderful urban roads here in NY.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
When I got my car last year it had Yokohamas in a "plus-zero" 205/55 size. I didn't think they were a proper fit for the stock wheels and I recently replaced them with Continental PureContact LS Eco tires in the correct 195/55 size. I find the directional stability to be better with the narrower tires and the handling is fine for the street driving I do on our wonderful urban roads here in NY.
Assume you're talking 16" diameter, in which case yes nearly 2% larger overall diameter is definitely a noticeable change.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Sorry they were 205/50 not 55.
Ah so -1.5% smaller than factory overall diameter, yeah that's an even more drastic change in feeling IMO than +2% over. Less sidewall, lower volume, harsher ride. Bet the 195/55s feel great in comparison.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well it's still no Lexus. ;)
And I still say hello to the bump stops on occasion thanks to the craterous potholes that just show up.
But yes ride is better and noticeably quieter (not saying the car is quiet, just relatively so).
I actually bent some of the OE wheels and I know that's hard to do, I think the Yokos had a lot to do with that although the potholes certainly did too. I've hit a few with the Contis and afaik didn't do any further damage.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You should do this without any problems. Today I set cruise control at 50mph and then 60 mph for a while and this is the result: I know this is around 55MPG(Us) but easily can be improved ;) View attachment 64237
The tyres are Goodyear/Michelin with 37PSI front and 35PSI rear.
Those are super results!! I recently took a new job at a Hydro Plant and the drive is quite far. This past week I averaged about 43 MPG or so. There is a lot of my trip to work through the mountains so I am on and off the gas quite a bit. I know this hurts the mileage. I can do better on a steady drive I believe. But not sure it will hit 50MPG.

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z GT-Navi Milano Red
179 Posts
Noooooooo, my back hurts.
Those are 205/55/16 with very soft side walls and after experimenting with different pressures I found it the best option...
To don't go completely off topic I don't understand why people buy cheap tyres. I saw a few cars on this forum with expensive rims and Chinese tyres on them. They will be happy until drive on high speed onto big water puddle...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Those are 205/55/16 with very soft side walls and after experimenting with different pressures I found it the best option...
To don't go completely off topic I don't understand why people buy cheap tyres. I saw a few cars on this forum with expensive rims and Chinese tyres on them. They will be happy until drive on high speed onto big water puddle...
I know I was just joking around. Upping the pressures for MPG has always been a thing within reason. You've got fantastic mileage to substantiate those pressures.

I just go doorjamb pressures because squishier ride and I'm generally in traffic anyway so it doesn't matter. 😒

21 - 36 of 36 Posts