Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been experiencing issues of light steering, almost as if my CRZ is going to veer off the road when going round corners at high speeds (such on motorways, bypasses etc) and even in town driving as if the front wheels are not really gripping to the road. I never experienced this before I had to replace the two front tyres (which I think were more expensive and premium - I think they were Bridgestone). Now, I have budget tyres and I am thinking I am experiencing the light steering issues through the steering wheel because of cheap tyres with less grip? Or will it not make a difference?

Please fellow CRZ owners, let me know what you think, and have you been experiencing light steering response through the steering wheel?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Absolutely tires make a difference. What brand did you purchase? I would recommend Falken tires because they are a few dollars more and relatively cheap. They have always been good tires for me both performance and road noise wise.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Tires (Tyres) have ratings on them from A to something lower. A is the best B is worse etc. These ratings are for grip, temperature and a number for expected life, Speed rating etc. I personally put Pirelli P7 on the speed bump and they are much better than the OEM supplied in US Dunlops. I am not sure if across the pond tires have the same UTOC ratings we have here in the US

These articles might be useful to you: How To: Read a Tire Sidewall - Feature - Car and Driver

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

https://www.safercar.gov/tires/index.html

https://one.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle-Safety/Test-Procedures

Procedures and ratings in your area may differ.
I have recently been experiencing issues of light steering, almost as if my CRZ is going to veer off the road when going round corners at high speeds (such on motorways, bypasses etc) and even in town driving as if the front wheels are not really gripping to the road. I never experienced this before I had to replace the two front tyres (which I think were more expensive and premium - I think they were Bridgestone). Now, I have budget tyres and I am thinking I am experiencing the light steering issues through the steering wheel because of cheap tyres with less grip? Or will it not make a difference?

Please fellow CRZ owners, let me know what you think, and have you been experiencing light steering response through the steering wheel?

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
A premium tyre is well worth the additional cost; also, you must get the correct type of tyre for your area's driving conditions, e.g., rain, snow, ice, hot/cold temps., just like you wouldn't wear dress shoes on the basketball court.:grin2:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I'd have that front end checked for alignment and wear. Any serious potholes, railroad crossings, construction zones? My Z on cheap tires is one of the most confident-handling cars I've ever driven.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'd have that front end checked for alignment and wear. Any serious potholes, railroad crossings, construction zones? My Z on cheap tires is one of the most confident-handling cars I've ever driven.
Totally agree with that.

And a note on the word cheap, which in the case of tires doesn't necessarily mean nor synonymous with inexpensive or crappy. There are pricey 'premium brand' tires that perform worse than many affordable or low cost tires. I've been riding around on $54 a tire all-season Sumitomos and the CR-Z feels great, handles very well and this is from a driver with almost 10 years of HPDE track experience using everything from 'cheap' all-seasons to 4/32"-shaved $240 a piece R-compounds.

So tell us the tire brand, model, full tire sizing information, vehicle and tire mileage, service history, any vehicle modifications and last time an alignment was performed and we can help further.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Totally agree with that.

And a note on the word cheap, which in the case of tires doesn't necessarily mean nor synonymous with inexpensive or crappy. There are pricey 'premium brand' tires that perform worse than many affordable or low cost tires. I've been riding around on $54 a tire all-season Sumitomos and the CR-Z feels great, handles very well and this is from a driver with almost 10 years of HPDE track experience using everything from 'cheap' all-seasons to 4/32"-shaved $240 a piece R-compounds.

So tell us the tire brand, model, full tire sizing information, vehicle and tire mileage, service history, any vehicle modifications and last time an alignment was performed and we can help further.
As for the tyre brand, I'm not sure...just a budget tyre that cost £45 in total. The tyre size is correct in line with CRZ requirement. An alignment was carried out by the Honda dealership back in a December, but since replacing the rear driver side tyre yesterday, the steering wheel seems to be off centre again....not sure if I just need to get my wheels balanced on all fours or if the tracking needs realigned again?

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Totally agree with that.

Also remember that for the same model of tire there are different ratings even for the same size.:nerd: ( usually just speed though)

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
As for the tyre brand, I'm not sure...just a budget tyre that cost £45 in total. The tyre size is correct in line with CRZ requirement. An alignment was carried out by the Honda dealership back in a December, but since replacing the rear driver side tyre yesterday, the steering wheel seems to be off centre again....not sure if I just need to get my wheels balanced on all fours or if the tracking needs realigned again?
New or used tire?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
As for the tyre brand, I'm not sure...just a budget tyre that cost £45 in total.
Is there something preventing you from going and reading what is on the side of the tire?

The tyre size is correct in line with CRZ requirement.
There is a range of acceptable sizes, so again is there something preventing you from answering the questions with precise information?

I never experienced this before I had to replace the two front tyres (which I think were more expensive and premium - I think they were Bridgestone). Now, I have budget tyres
but since replacing the rear driver side tyre yesterday
So three new tires and one old tire? Two new tires in the front and one new tire on the rear? The rears weren't replaced as a pair?

If you're not going to answer the questions as they were asked then hopefully the others will be patient with this and get you a satisfactory solution. The information needs to be clear and concise with no ambiguity or inexactness so the issue can be pinpointed and addressed much more quickly then having to ask the same thing multiple times and going back and fourth with vague descriptions. The Car Talk guys would be asking the same things, this is the only way problems can be diagnosed remotely without seeing the actual vehicle. Best of luck to you and good luck everyone else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As for the tyre brand, I'm not sure...just a budget tyre that cost £45 in total.
Is there something preventing you from going and reading what is on the side of the tire?

The tyre size is correct in line with CRZ requirement.
There is a range of acceptable sizes, so again is there something preventing you from answering the questions with precise information?

I never experienced this before I had to replace the two front tyres (which I think were more expensive and premium - I think they were Bridgestone). Now, I have budget tyres
but since replacing the rear driver side tyre yesterday
So three new tires and one old tire? Two new tires in the front and one new tire on the rear? The rears weren't replaced as a pair?

If you're not going to answer the questions as they were asked then hopefully the others will be patient with this and get you a satisfactory solution. The information needs to be clear and concise with no ambiguity or inexactness so the issue can be pinpointed and addressed much more quickly then having to ask the same thing multiple times and going back and fourth with vague descriptions. The Car Talk guys would be asking the same things, this is the only way problems can be diagnosed remotely without seeing the actual vehicle. Best of luck to you and good luck everyone else.
Wow...well, first of all, where I am (not sure where you are located) but it is the middle of the night and going out to the car to check the tyre size on the rim is the last thing I am going to do. Secondly, I am new to forum, so still trying to find my feet. Nice to have received a warm welcome.

As for the tyres being replaced at the back as a pair, no, they were not. I got a puncture on Wednesday night and just replaced the tyre that had to be replaced, so there is an older tyre (still with reasonable enough tread on it) and a new one of the back, one budget tyre (cheap) and a more premium tyre.

But, anyway, thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New or used tire?
The tyre was new and was fitted on Wednesday.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Even tires of the same size but from different manufacturers, or even different models, can have different rolling diameters. May be part of your tracking issue.

In general, tires are a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing. Cheap tires tend to provide less grip which increases stopping distance and generally makes the car not handle as well. Sometimes it's a necessary compromise just to keep the car rolling, just remember they are the only thing connecting the car to the road and should probably be the last place to save $$.

It is recommended to change tires in axle pairs because difference in grip from side to side can cause the car to behave unusually, especially under hard braking or emergency avoidance maneuvers where you really want the car to do what you expect. If you have to go the cheap route, you should consider getting 2.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
The tyre size I believe is 195?
That is just one of the measurements.

Even though this is from a Tire manufacturer it explains how to decode what all those numbers mean.:smile2:
How to Read Tire Sizes | Goodyear Auto Service Center

The size on my CR-Z is 195/55R16 87V

This is a shorter explanation than I tried to give you last time I visited this thread.

Even if two tires have the same price the ratings may be very different. You want the best ratings you can find at the price you are willing to spend so that your CR-Z stays rubber side down>:).

Myself personally I always try to get the top ratings I can find and am willing to pay more so I can replace all four at once. I even looked into Run Flat tires since the CR-Z I have came with no spare tire. I also force the dealers to cross rotate ( since my Tires are non directional) instead of just front back which is what they prefer to do but in the manual they say to cross rotate them.:nerd: This evens out the wear and makes the tires last longer.

Some of the tire dressings people use deteriorate the tires. Be careful of what you use. I wash mine with a dedicated sponge and the same car wash soap I use for the body but diluted more. I don't need my tires to be shiny. That is just me though.

I am also a nut and check the tire pressures every other week when car has not been moved over night. I am keeping my Pirelli Cinturato P7™ All Season Plus tires at 34 PSI which is 4 PSI higher than the sticker on the car. I like how the car rides with this Pressure and it is is not so high that it wears the tires funny or below what Honda recommends. These tires can take a much higher maximum ( as indicated by the sidewall) than the Dunlops the car came with. You never ever want to exceed this pressure and should stay below it. Pressure goes up as car is driven.

Tires and their selection is more than just buying some round black rubber thing that you buy in 16":lol:

I hope I have not overwhelmed you with tire information.

Summary: Tires are very important and most people ignore the fact the car suspension is engineered with a certain minimum specification tire in mind. They are also a big factor in safety they affect stopping distances and traction:surprise:

Your life depends on them!:|

:eek:fftopic:

If possible when you replace a punctured tire try to get at least the same brand and model( tread pattern) so as to not affect the handling of your car. I had two flats in Texas when I still had the OEM Dunlops. One they could plug the other they had to replace. Because the specific model OEM Dunlops were a "special" tire from Japan, it took a week to get the replacement so the dealer was very nice and gave me a free loaner car because they were concerned with my safety. Just inflating the tire frequently was not enough. The pressure went down to TPMS warning very fast even when inflated to Maximum pressure from side wall. ( Emergency process to get home)

Do whatever you have to to get home but try to follow the above advice for your safety.:smile2:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Tires these days, like almost everything else, are made in batches. The tire company calls up for a half-million tires of a design and spec, they're squashed-out wherever (which doesn't much matter anymore), loaded in the containers, put on the ship, and offloaded at whatever port. When those are sold, that's that for that type, model, tread design, "rubber" compound, carcass design, blah blah blah. Getting one replacement can be very dodgy, and may be the reason for your car's odd handling. Speaking in very general terms, getting a complete new set is usually a better path than getting one "premium" tire, unless you really are going to return to the fray at LeMans.

I can't recall the last time I heard of actually crap tires. Of course P-Zeroes or whatever top-of-the-line super racerboy tires that go for $600 a corner are that good, and "worth" their cost, but a set of Wangzooms from Halford's at £20 a wheel will probably do you better than one new, design mis-matched Continental at £125.

In my forty years of motoring, I've only had one tire go "bad", which was a (then legendary) Fulda Y-2000 which had a belt delamination and was replaced immediately and free by the tire shop, and not a shop where it had been purchased. When my Z finally used up its stock Dunlops at 46K, I got a set of cheap "Thunderer" tires from Thailand "A Sense of your control...!!" (why won't Asian manufacturers shell out a couple of bucks for translators?), and in all honesty, they have been outstanding- quiet, rain-happy, grippy, round, and black.

·
Registered
19 Posts
in general i find cheap tyres tend to be one of 2 things, either grippy but short-lived (toyo t1r) or last ages but like planks of wood ("triangle tyres" a fried had on the back of his 200sx so he could drift easier!)

as you move up in price you generally tend to get more of the best of both. going by the EU ratings, i chose the best i could see for my tyre size which were the dunlop sp sportmax rt, very happy with them at £110 each fitted :smile2:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I found the Dunlops that came on the Z were fine, although others don't care for them. My complaint about them was how noisy they got with age, and I probably replaced them a bit early because of that. However, they were free, so long as I bought the car they were on.

But they weren't like the SP Dunlops of old.

And nothing I've had ever matched my Datsun's Michelin X-AS tires. They were amazing on that car.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm just resurrecting this for a while..

A tyre revelation. 👍

I hate cheap tyres and being a bit of a G1 Insight hypermiler I like the best eco tyres I can find.

So just fitted a full set of Continental eco contact 6 195/55R 16 87V to my 2013 Lithium car.

Cost £411 inc fitting etc.

These are 'A' rated for economy and 'B' for wet grip and 71db for noise.

What an improvement over the cheap rubbish that was on it before.
It feels like it won't ever stop when rolling along LOL. 😱

I'm expecting to gain a few mpg on my normal driving routes and will report back in due course.
They also seem to be much quieter as well.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
646 Posts
Tires make a huge difference both in how the car handles and how it feels. Before buying my tires I spent hours on tire rack looking at reviews. I got the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 because they were very grippy and very responsive, whereas something like the continental procontact sport (I think, can't remember) made the steering feel more mushy and less responsive. They can also affect mpg. Eco tires give better mpg at the expense of grip or driver feeling.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts