Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I do not have a navi unit. Do not want one. So I looked at my options online and found the best price/setup. I found this listing on ebay.

3.5 Car LCD Dashboard Monitor & Rear View Backup Camera - eBay (item 220723533241 end time Jan-19-11 16:48:27 PST)

I looked around and he is the only real USA shipper, the rest are from Japan and China ect. So shipping is more and takes a longer time to arrive. I also wanted the Power adapter for the LCD, so I do not have to hard wire anything up front for the LCD

So total this took me an hour to install with some GF phone time in there.

Tools Required

- Philips screwdriver
- Flat Head screwdriver
- Hex for the bumper
- Wire strippers
- Zip ties
- Electrical tape and wire snaps for joining wires.

Step 1
Use the flat head screwdriver on the strip around the taillights.

Step 2
Unscrew the two philips screws in the taillights, push outwards and the tail light will come loose. Remove the connecting lights and place the light somewhere safe.

Step 3
Read this carefully, if you want it to show reverse only. Then wire it to the reverse lights. I however wanted it on all the time. So I wired mine to the parking lights. That way my headlight switch acts like the on/off button for the whole LCD and camera. When its off the camera/lcd is off. When I turn in to parking lights, and headlights on, the camera will always be on. I like using this for highway and changing lanes. Which was the whole idea for me.

Step 4
Once the wiring is complete plug in the and run the yellow video cable to the LCD input. Hide the wire as you see fit. I ran mine through the taillight hole. Just pulled out the suction cup and ran it through and replaced the suction thing.

Step 5
I zip tied my camera into place, since I did not want it being too obvious since it is a screw on lisece plate model. I used the extra flaps to hold it behind the lights and hides it better.

Step 6

Turn on the car and position the camera, tighten zip ties and off you go!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I like very much, I think if I was to have it on full time I would put the LCD more by the visor or above the mirror so you don't have to look to far from straight ahead.

·
Registered
618 Posts
This system is pretty cool. Would solve the issue of where to put the screen.

·
Registered
693 Posts
This system is pretty cool. Would solve the issue of where to put the screen.

Very impressive system that I would be very interested in at about half the asking price. But at $900 installed, I think I will have to live without it.

Not really fair to compare it to the $56 system that is the basis of this thread.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not really notice a difference with the lights being right there. The night time camera view goes from the infrared LEDS on the camera. So you get to see a lot of light spots. So i kind of gauge what is around me from those. It works good while in reverse however. I will try to snag a nite time shot before I fly out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I really like that smart mirror thing. That would be a cool idea. I am debating however changing my head unit out to something with a screen and nav and maybe I would add the back up cam. Either way this is very nice!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I really want to find a blue tooth camera that will connect to my ipad. Since I already have the ipad mounted on a carbon fiber Joy Factory Velet arm. I dont really want to add another screen. If I cant find one I will go with a mirror replacement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a Mito autodimming mirror installed in my big car. It has a built-in LCD monitor that only shows up thru the mirror surface when on. It was $450, installed (w/out camera). There were 2 sizes and I got the big one. Mistake! The visors hit the mirror. Other than that, it's great. I played with a separate monitor, but didn't like backing up watching only the monitor. This lets me see the mirror view and the monitor simultaneously.
Separately bought a color camera and mounted it in a piece of square tubing that goes in my hitch receiver. Easily removed by loosening a setscrew & unplugging 12v & video when I tow the trailer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I H-A-T-E having the backup image in the rear view mirror. The mirror is already small enough and the image takes up vital space and is distracting.

Bad design choice IMHO

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I'm looking to do is pull the connection on the mirror and drop in a folding LCD display I found on eBay:

4 3" High Resolution Folded 2CH Rear View Car Color LCD Monitor New | eBay

Unit folds flat with the LCD facing down when there is no power applied. It might or might not fit in the top storage box (be nice if it did).

I'm also thinking I may need to block the license plate lights by "McGuyvering" a light shield, which might affect the field of view a bit, but will make the rear view feature more usable.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Little late here, but are you saying that you have the stock camera that displays in the mirror, and you want to wire it to display on this new screen? In my experience with other Hondas, you cannot do that. The Honda camera provides a signal that only Honda screens will be able to display. You'd have to install a new camera with a standard video signal.

It's a total buzzkill because sometimes a person wants to install an aftermarket mirror (or a screen like you want to do), and you can't do it without replacing the whole system.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts