Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,573 Posts
Thank you so much for this guide. Had a flat battery, replaced battery and got the ABS and VSA errors.
Tried to clear them with a bluetooth 387 adaptor and TORQUE pro app. It connected fine, scanned and then reported no errors? Gracioso, thank you. A paperclip and 2 minutes - now all sorted!

It did not just reset after X number of starts? After my CPS failure I am not sure if it reset itself or if the dealer reset it. I know in past I have reset using my Scan Gauge II Just not sure of these particular warnings and I have a USA Specification CR-Z. With my Scan Gauge II the ignition has to be on but car not running in order to clear codes if I remember correctly.

·
Super Moderator
4,573 Posts
This is great my CVT will get these kinds of codes if I ever unplug the battery, good to know how to clear them, thank you

They will also usually reset after driving X number of Miles (Kilometers)(or at least they are supposed to). Other codes(emissions not ready) need X number of Start shut down cycles combined with Miles(Kilometers). :smile2:

·
Registered
63 Posts
My car intermittently gave me VSA, Hill Start, and ABS alerts for a few weeks (with the VSA and ABS warning lights lit), and then gave them perpetually.

My dealer (Community Honda in Orland Park, IL--naming it so people can consider avoiding them) diagnosed a bad VSA module and quoted $3090.45 for it (if you google the part number they quoted, 57110-SZT-S11, you can find it for $1573.32, so they're trying to get at least 96% markup).

I followed this sequence (admittedly, had to do it several times, then drive the car for a bit, and then do it again), and the lights are gone.

I wouldn't have paid even $1573.32 for it, as I'm preparing to trade the car in, but I was considering used modules for $100ish. I absolutely recommend everybody try this before dumping any money into solving this problem. Spend an hour trying to get it to work, even. You might save yourself a LOT of money and effort.

Thank you so much for finding and posting this!

Edit: Ugh... the damn lights came back. Will try it again, but perhaps my VSA module is actually dead.

Edit #2: The lights went away again, and have not returned for a couple days. :)

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
My car intermittently gave me VSA, Hill Start, and ABS alerts for a few weeks (with the VSA and ABS warning lights lit), and then gave them perpetually.
I followed this sequence (admittedly, had to do it several times, then drive the car for a bit, and then do it again), and the lights are gone.

What was the "sequence" you followed--I kind of missed that. ? What DTC was coming up, and did you follow that diagnostic procedure?

·
Registered
63 Posts
It was literally the first post in this thread. lol

There are no DTC (OBD) codes--the traction control system can only be diagnosed with Honda's proprietary equipment. And as I said in my post, they diagnosed it as a bad VSA module.

Jump pins 4 and 9 on the OBDII port, hold down brake, turn ignition on (don't need to start car), release brake when the ABS light turns off, press brake when it turns on, release when the the light turns off. ABS light will blink a few times. Then repeat the procedure with the traction control button (just pressing it) and the traction control light.

I had the VSA and ABS warning lights, and every time I drove the car, the information panel would alert me to Hill Start, VSA, and ABS malfunctions. But no more.

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I had the VSA and ABS warning lights, and every time I drove the car, the information panel would alert me to Hill Start, VSA, and ABS malfunctions. But no more.
Sounds eerily similar to when the 12 volt battery is just about dead...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Battery is about a year old and tests fine.

The problem appeared several weeks after I cleaned the terminals (I used a tender to supply the chassis with power while I cleaned the posts), so it could be related to that, but regardless--I'm just happy I won't be trading in a car that has warning lights and it didn't cost me anything to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The search function on this forum is an awesome tool. Truthfully, seeing ABS, VSA, and Check Engine lights on, would normally steer me away from buying a car. After reading this thread, instead, I used those lights as a negotiation point.

Using the instructions in the OP, I was able to reset the lights in about two minutes. I want to add my thanks to the OP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The search function on this forum is an awesome tool. Truthfully, seeing ABS, VSA, and Check Engine lights on, would normally steer me away from buying a car. After reading this thread, instead, I used those lights as a negotiation point.

Using the instructions in the OP, I was able to reset the lights in about two minutes. I want to add my thanks to the OP.
I read this thread a few days ago. There is so much useful information and links. Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may be an old thread for some but we have a 9 year old CRZ with 40,000 and this happened to us. Dealer wanted $3000 + for new abs module so when we got home started looking and found this. It worked for me, lights turned off and will see if they stay off. Reason doubted that the abs module was bad was every now and then they would go off and stay off. You could drive it 5 to 10 times and then come back on. Drive a few more times and go back off.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts