Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

DIY: Polarized/convex/heated side mirrors w/LED turn signal

48K views 103 replies 42 participants last post by  chrisrkooz 
#1 ·
Disclaimer: For informative/entertainment purposes only. Not responsible for user error. This was installed on 2011 EX w/Navi.

Brand name: Safe Driving
Part number: 271104

Item found by resibud (thank you!). From resibud:
Japanese site Rakuten. These are convex mirrors with integrated turn signals and heater.
The name of the person to contact is : Rin Yamakawa

Email: info-sales@factory-direct.jp
Rakuten site translated to English
My cost with heater/LED signal = 14070 Japanese Yen = $144.471 US Dollar (included shipping to Tennessee/paypal fee). To order, I sent an email to him in English and then used an online translator to translate to Japanese. I ordered mine on Aug. 15 and received delivery on Aug. 22. Great turn-around from Japan! Delivery requires signature.

Tools needed:
Trim tool (to pry off OEM mirror)
Philips screwdriver
Electrical tape
Pliers

Installation time:
I am guessing 15+ minutes for each mirror. I have to guess because I paused to take pictures for this DIY

Installation:
Working on the Left (driver's side) mirror: Remove OEM mirror. I used a trim tool. Pry up at the mirror bottom and pull out. Here is the back of the mirror after removal:

Before you remove the wires from the OEM mirror, mark the new mirror in accordance. One wire is solid black and the other is black w/a bit of white on it. I wrote "B" (for "black"), on the new mirror and "W" (for black/white).

Back of new mirror:

Remove the white plastic motor cover to give yourself some working room: Remove center screw and pull the white cover off. There are (2) "prongs" inside a greased rubber boot on the bottom and left side. Please see the "on edit" at the bottom of this DIY. Instead of removing the motor cover, you can remove the entire motor.

Pull all the OEM colored and black/white heater wires from their retainer. You will be splicing into the pink and purple wires (OEM turn signal wires).

Cut a short length of one of the supplied wire bundles. The length I cut was way too long but I wanted a lot of work room:

Using the clamp connectors supplied, splice the
BLACK wire into the PINK oem wire
BLACK/WHITE wire into the PURPLE oem wire:

Instructions that came with the mirrors:

Take the wire bundle that you cut a length of and connect the BLACK to BLACK and BLACK/WHITE to BLACK/WHITE on the mirror:

Connect the OEM heater wires to the new mirror. Remember your markings from the beginning (black and black/white). Slide the rubber cover back over the connection of the turn signal wires and apply electrical tape for insurance. I forgot to take a pic of it w/the electrical tape applied. Reinsert all the OEM wires back into the plastic retainer. Reinstall the white plastic motor cover. It's a little tricky. On the two "prongs" that slide into the two rubber boots, there is one tab that must be aligned with the slot:

Test the turn signal and heater (turn on your rear defrost):

If everything tests fine, (also test the mirror motor), mount the new mirror into the housing. Peak under and align the top clips with the slots and swing the mirror down. There are 4 tabs left to push in. Make sure you hear them click in.

Hope this helps and if I have left anything out, please add-on.

on edit: resibud photo and advise. Instead of removing the white plastic motor cover and getting into the grease, remove the entire motor:

Yep, just did the passenger mirror and removing the entire motor is the way to go! Thanx again resibud.

See less See more
#70 ·
Question: Are the heater wires already going to the mirrors on the base model also? I know most auto manufacturers run all of the wiring but unless the option is purchased its just an open plug. I have a '13 base but need the heated mirrors here in NW Texas. If it's already run and tied into the rear defrost that would be perfect!

#76 ·
Just ordered mine :wub:

tracking#:
EJ302548521JP

#86 ·
Contacted Rin for these bad boys. Got them in a week and immediately installed them the same day they arrived. It was very easy, took me like 15 minutes for both sides. I just T-tap connected the signal wires, plugged in the heater wires,and popped them back in place. Hit my hazard switch to ensure they work. The polarized blue makes a huge difference. You can definitely see better in the day. I would definitely recommend these over the T1R's just because I love the amber arrow lights embedded behind the mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#88 ·
Bringing this thread back to life real quick because I just ordered these.

Does anyone have a recommended length to cut the supplied wire? That way I'm not cutting too short, or too long to fit inside the mirror housing?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#89 ·
Bringing this thread back to life real quick because I just ordered these.

Does anyone have a recommended length to cut the supplied wire? That way I'm not cutting too short, or too long to fit inside the mirror housing?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wouldn't this depend on how you route the wires? Pull all the wire through make sure you leave enough for any place it has to bend and enough in case you have to work on it in the future make the best most water tight connections you can. Solder and heat shrink are your friends. Make sure wire is not tight anywhere so heat and cold do not break connections or damage wires.

#95 ·
I just used the heated side mirrors this morning and they work but they do not heat the whole mirror. FYI it heats everything except where the LED signals are. It's still good but it just doesn't heat the whole thing due to the LEDs

#96 ·
Just bought my CRZ yesterday (thread in the welcome forum awaiting approval) and the first thing I did was start Googling for blind spot mirrors. Then I found this thread. I'm definitely going to do this, but I'm kinda not jazzed about the blue tint. But then again, if it helps cut down on headlight reflections, then I'm sold on the blue tint. So--does it?

#97 ·
his thread. I'm definitely going to do this, but I'm kinda not jazzed about the blue tint. But then again, if it helps cut down on headlight reflections, then I'm sold on the blue tint. So--does it?
Just bought my CRZ yesterday (thread in the welcome forum awaiting approval) and the first thing I did was start Googling for blind spot mirrors. Then I found this thread. I'm definitely going to do this, but I'm kinda not jazzed about the blue tint. But then again, if it helps cut down on headlight reflections, then I'm sold on the blue tint. So--does it?
Did it help cut down? so for the revive.

#101 · (Edited)
Emailing to see if these are still for sale... The link is dead so wish me luck :)

Edit: Wow they responded fast - they do still make them but are currently out of stock.
"Yes, we continue this product, but unfortunately out of stock now. Factory is too busy now, I expect need another 2months or something."
I'm gonna have to remember to follow up in about two months then! Happy to hear that I'm not too late!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.