Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured some of you guys might find this useful.

This is a quick guide i left my real camera at home so you have to live with these pics till i change my oil again...

Tools required

17mm Socket and Ratchet.
Phillips screwdriver.
Flat head screwdriver or panel tool.
funnel
drain pan
oil filter wrench
shop or paper towels.
jack and jackstands
block - or something to hold the car from rolling

Oil
Mobil 1 0 - 20
Honda Filter 15400-PLM-A01

1. Let car cool, not cold just cool.
2. Block off the rear wheels, jack car up, support with jackstands.
3. Remove air diversion panel.
Remove 2 plastic "fast clips" on the front side by prying carefully on the center
ring.
Remove 2 plastic screws on rear side.
Remove are 4 screws on each side. (8 total)

4. Open Oil cap
5. Remove 17mm nut on bottom side of engine. you will see stamped lettering and
an arrow pointing to the proper bolt to remove.

6. Drain pan and take off oil filter
7. Put your finger in the new oil and rub a little but on the rubber seal of the new
filter, and put on
8. OPTIONAL STEP. I personally run about a half to a quart of oil to flush.
9. Put new crush washer on the drain bolt and put back on.
10. Fill oil 3.6 qts, replace cap

11. Start the car let it run for a bit and check the oil.
12. It should be between the two tick marks, add if neccessary.
13. Put the panels back on.

·
Registered
886 Posts
In a previous thread a lot of people were saying to do the 1st after ~1000.00. Then, picking up a normal schedule from there.
My sales guy specifically told me NOT to do that.. He said "Do not touch the oil until the car tells you to". Though, I've been learning more and more that people at dealers aren't actually "car people", (they're money people) so I think I trust people's opinion here more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No disrespect intended towards our fine forum members, but what makes you think they're any more qualified than a person who works with the cars for a living?
In my experience with Hondas, I pay attention to the oil indicator built into the car's computer. If Honda says (as they do) to follow the guides given re: oil changes, then that's what I'll do - if anything goes bad, it's on them, not me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I might go half way on this topic. Gonna trust the car's oil life indicator but at 3 k Zed will get a new Honda oil filter and a top off with the recommended oil.

Anyone know the brand in the engine for delivery? Just so it's the same?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i dont know for sure, but i hear that manufacturers use a special break in oil. this is usually why they tell you not to change it. im not sure if this is true but its something to consider.

i plan to leave the factory oil in until the car tells me to change it then im gonna go with a full synthetic (unless somewhere in the manual it says not to)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Mobile 1 0W-20 is sold at Wal Mart just an FYI. At least I found it in both central FL as well as up here in the North East.

Brand in the engine is the Honda oil, contracted out to Exxonmobil. The Honda oil isn't full synthetic like the Mobile 1 0W-20 oil but in testing the wonderful guys over at technical forums like cleanmpg and bobistheoilguy found no fuel economy benefit to switching to use of full synthetic oil.

As for oil life I'll wait until January regardless of mileage as I normally do 6 month intervals.

·
Registered
886 Posts
No disrespect intended towards our fine forum members, but what makes you think they're any more qualified than a person who works with the cars for a living?
In my experience with Hondas, I pay attention to the oil indicator built into the car's computer. If Honda says (as they do) to follow the guides given re: oil changes, then that's what I'll do - if anything goes bad, it's on them, not me.
Only that the guy who told me this is a sales guy (I;d trust a service tech).. Focused on sales. I think he was trying to make it sound easy.. No special concerns.. "Just be happy and drive, and get out of my face and never talk to me again"
The few times I've called him about issues he's spun me around and sent me towards the door w/ absolutely NO help.
He told me several things that were just plain WRONG.. contrary to the manual. Told me things were in the car that aren't actually there (locking fuel cap.. he said specifically that it IS there, but it's not), etc.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
not sure about other members but i worked for 2 different dealerships (Ford and then Honda)... even tho i worked in the bodyshop for both places it has been MY experience that salesmen know jack about the cars they sell... you might find 1 or 2, depending on dealership size, that actually knows some decent info about the cars... now that's talking about salesmen in general... on the other hand, techs generally have great knowledge of the cars, some more than others... so specific tech responses, i'd generally listen to them...
I might go half way on this topic. Gonna trust the car's oil life indicator but at 3 k Zed will get a new Honda oil filter and a top off with the recommended oil.

i agree 100% regardless of where the % reads on oil life, i will change it at 3k miles...
i dont know for sure, but i hear that manufacturers use a special break in oil. this is usually why they tell you not to change it. im not sure if this is true but its something to consider.

i plan to leave the factory oil in until the car tells me to change it then im gonna go with a full synthetic (unless somewhere in the manual it says not to)
1st- supposedly there is a "break-in" oil and this oil is a special blend that helps attract small metal fragments from breaking-in engine parts... i have never seen any proof of this, but i've read it a few times online...

2nd- i also heard that it's not so great to change right away to synthetic until you have some miles on the engine... personally with my one new car, i changed the oil using Honda oil at 3k miles... immediately dyno'd the car... changed the oil again around 6500 miles... then my next change i used Royal Purple full synthetic and just followed the regular schedule from then on... my car ran REALLY good, and got REALLY good mileage for what it claimed...

i plan to do the same thing on the CR-Z :popcorn:

·
Registered
159 Posts
First, let's assume the original oil is designed to attract any tiny metal fragments than come loose during break-in. Can you think of a reason why the manufacturer recommends leaving it in there for 10K miles, rather than 3K? Are they perhaps expecting some small metal fragments to come loose during that many miles? And ... if yes, why wouldn't it make sense for the manufacturer to recommend changing the oil every 3K (for the first 10K) and use their special oil the first two times?

·
Banned
251 Posts

AM I THE ONLY HONDA TECHNICIAN ON THIS FORUM??

and just so everyone is clear on this... no one at honda even KNOWS what the fuck is in that shit they give it at the factory but first recommended oil change is looking to come in at around 10,000 miles or 16,000km. thats ten thousand not ONE thousand. wtf.

anyways, im going with what the damn factory engineers told us but it just goes against everything i have ever known as an engine builder and EMS tuner.

i have inspected the plugs and the oil several times. and have found nearly nothing as far as metallic particles. which is very odd.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
well the CR-Z does have lower resistance coating on the pistons so maybe that's why it's not shaving much?? idk...

oil "recommendations" are just THAT... those figures don't compensate for how hard or soft you drive the car... it's based on average information on an average driver... i'm not average, so i change it when i feel it needs it... that's just the way i see it :popcorn:

·
Registered
208 Posts
and just so everyone is clear on this... no one at honda even KNOWS what the fuck is in that shit they give it at the factory but first recommended oil change is looking to come in at around 10,000 miles or 16,000km. thats ten thousand not ONE thousand. wtf.

anyways, im going with what the damn factory engineers told us but it just goes against everything i have ever known as an engine builder and EMS tuner.
It seems a fair bet that the factory oil is good for the break-in period. I think it is also fair to say that from both a service cost and general public perception, extending the first change period has some benefit to Honda.
My guess is that the 10k first change is an upper limit, doing it early is very unlikely to have a detrimental effect. Question is how early is best for your engine? Maybe if you did a change at 300 miles, you'd need to refill with the same special oil. Maybe that oil is actually designed to do it's magic over a 1000 mile run-in process, and it's characteristics change over time in order to achieve this.
I think there is probably some agreement that the first 10k miles have an impact on the next 90k, but I think in reality the difference you can make to a modern engine is quite limited, and a little over-hyped by the oil vendors.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
thinking i may do a change @ 50% which is more then 3k but less then 10k. will keep an eye on the oil to see how it looks from now to then. What about tranny oil, i have a 6spd, how often should i change that.

·
Registered
873 Posts
According to the owners manual, change the engine oil according to the
maintenance minder messages, or annually, whichever comes first.

So, if the car has a break-in period of "XXXXX" amount of miles, if it falls under the 10,000 miles schedule maintenance, wouldn't it be okay to go ahead with doing an oil change? Just a question.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I planned on doing my first oil change at about 5k, but I'm thinking that I might wait per the specific instructions of the service department to leave the "break in oil" in the car for the full duration of the oil viscosity sensor. He said to not change the oil until the life reaches 20% at the earliest.

Not normally what I do, but I got such a stern talking to by my service guy that it is imperative that I do so that I guess I'll take their advice.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.