Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
Anyone have a clue how to remove and replace the bulb in the "trunk" area? View attachment 60752
It is sold as a unit including lens. I just installed an LED replacement. Grey part unplugs.

I bought this: Amazon.com: VIPMOTOZ Full LED Luggage Compartment Light Trunk Lamp Assembly Replacement For Honda Accord Civic CR-Z Fit Insight CR-V HR-V Acura ILX MDX RDX TL TSX - 6000K Diamond White, 1-Piece: Automotive

I used my flat blade screwdriver to assist in plugging the grey plug into the clear unit through the hole in the clear unit to adjust the blade of the "bulb" to slide into the plug.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX Navi
18 Posts
OK, I will try to unplug the grey part and see if the LED's that were sent to me will plug in. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX Navi
18 Posts
Yeah, I now see what you mean. The replacement LED's that were sent to me aren't going to work. :cautious:

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
The one I bought is a whole unit and I had to gently persuade the "blades" to go into the plug. I was surprised it was a whole little unit when I took it out of the box. It was a very small generic looking white box and I thought it was way too big for what I ordered. when I saw it had the lens I realized what it was. I am very happy with it it lights up the whole hatch area and a lot of the outside opposite it!

Maybe what you have is for the rear lights that are mounted where the seat belts are in other countries that have a rear seat or front Map lights?

Yeah, I now see what you mean. The replacement LED's that were sent to me aren't going to work. :cautious:

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX Navi
18 Posts
The front map lights were relatively easy to replace after I finally got the lens cover off. The LED's I got go to the entry lights on the doors that I haven't figured out yet how to get them out, and to the License plate lights that those too I haven't figured out how to get out. The manual doesn't explain those details.

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
The front map lights were relatively easy to replace after I finally got the lens cover off. The LED's I got go to the entry lights on the doors that I haven't figured out yet how to get them out, and to the License plate lights that those too I haven't figured out how to get out. The manual doesn't explain those details.
For the door lights and license plate lights, locate the little notch around the perimeter of the lens and the plastic lenses should pop out by pushing a flathead screwdriver or plastic trim tool into the slot and prying up/out. (NOTE: I lost one of my license plate lenses, and had to buy a new one, because when I swapped for LED's, I must not have "snapped" the lens back in fully.) I found them a little bit tricky to remove them too--those license plate lenses.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX Navi
18 Posts
litz, yeah I got the covers off of the door lights but can't get the bulbs out using my hands and I am afraid if I use a tool I will break the bulb without getting it out. And the license plate light assemblies are a HUGE pain to get out. Not sure how to, but they look like you have to push them to unclamp them from the rear bumper. Frustrating.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z EX Navi
18 Posts
This is what I was sent to replace the bulbs in the door and the cargo area. And I haven't been able to remove the bulbs with my fingers so...

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
This is what I was sent to replace the bulbs in the door and the cargo area. And I haven't been able to remove the bulbs with my fingers so...
View attachment 60753
That is obviously wrong for cargo area. You can’t bring the socket out of the door to pull the bulb? I am working back to front on interior and will do exterior when warmer so I do a nice professional job on the load resistors for the turn signals.

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
litz, yeah I got the covers off of the door lights but can't get the bulbs out using my hands and I am afraid if I use a tool I will break the bulb without getting it out. And the license plate light assemblies are a HUGE pain to get out. Not sure how to, but they look like you have to push them to unclamp them from the rear bumper. Frustrating.
Well, just from memory--for the door bulbs--you just flip the lens off, then pull the bulb out, but I tried to do it just now, and it's not coming out as easily as it did a few years ago, so I didn't pull too hard (and gave up, but it's cold out, and maybe I wasn't getting a good grip, and you got me scared to go ahead and pull harder, lol.)

I did take some pics of the license plate light(s) to show you the best method of removing them. Take the whole assembly out, and not just try to remove the lens while the assembly is mounted to the bumper. (I think that's why I lost a lens--because I just pushed the lens on to the assembly while it was mounted to the bumper. Best to unplug the assembly, then you can be assured it snaps back together before you mount the whole thing to the bumper.

If you push the assembly in slightly, you will see part of the hole(s) that the black plastic frame of the assembly clips into. Once you see where the hole is (on either side of the assembly,) you insert a small screwdriver wrapped with tape into the hole. From that point, push the screwdriver in the slot/hole and leverage up slightly while sliding the edge of the assembly in and out of the clip's hole; do the same for the other side of the assembly. Hope I said that right, but here's some pics to show you what I mean.

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
View attachment 60753
Those look like the same bulbs I put in mine (they were actually blue, though.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Okay this is weird. I don't know if I got lucky or what, and I am absolutely not saying this to brag of anything....

It's just this really shouldn't be that hard fellas.

I changed the
1. license plate lights
2. door courtesy,
3. rear "seat" courtesy, and
4. cargo area lights

in about 15mins during a stop at a gas station for some air for the tires one night.

All I used was a small flat head.

This is what I did.

For the license plate:

I didn't mess with the black part, I just stuck my small flat head screwdriver into one side of the clear light cover. gently pry, then repeat on other side and wiggle the cover free.

The trunk was the easiest, the assembly disconnects and I just used a 194 series 24 LED bulb

(I think I'm going to use a 194 bulb with fewer LEDs though it's TOO bright*)

it looks like any size 194 would fit though maybe even a larger 912... although u didn't try.

That white looking bulb should work too.

The door lights: I shoved my screwdriver from the bottom of the door upwards and pryed it out that way. Took one shot because I didn't have to care about making scratches from that angle. I personally don't know anyone who would ever notice if I did.. But that's just me.

For stubborn bulbs: cover bub with cloth, towel, etc. (I hope you have a little flat head screwdriver by now). Take the screwdriver and pry that sucker out gently. I've never broken a bulb that way. But if you do. Who cares!

The rear seat and dome lights..are pretty straight forward.

My only grip is I wish there was a switch on that cargo area light. I don't want it on the whole time everytime! Seems like a stupid RnD oversight especially with how the IMA Hybrid battery electronicals doesn't look like I can afford pointless drain like that.

Again I'm not bragging. I just got this Used 2011.. Maybe they were easier in the 2011? Shurgs

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
My cargo area light is only on when the hatch is open and I am not sure why but the one I ordered replaced the whole light lens and all. I love how much brighter it is. Some of the third party replacement cargo lights include the switch and it would not be difficult to add one if you really want one. Same is true for any light. Drill the right size hole connect two wires ( I suggest solder) and then you can control any light you want.

I still need to install the rest of my exterior bulbs and then I will replace all the inside white bulbs that are left. Might even do the modification to get brighter foot well lights.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
My only grip is I wish there was a switch on that cargo area light. I don't want it on the whole time everytime! Seems like a stupid RnD oversight especially with how the IMA Hybrid battery electronicals doesn't look like I can afford pointless drain like that.
Even if you leave the hatch open, the Cargo/trunk light times out and shuts itself off(along with the rest of the interior lights) after a few minutes.
"Electronicals" 😞

201 - 220 of 225 Posts