Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before:
YouTube - Horn000

After:
YouTube - Horn001

Material Needed:
- 12V Dual Horn - I got 3 sets of these from Korea (aroudn $15) and has 510HZ & 410HZ

- Wires

Step 1: Take off your bumper. Good DIY on this can be found on Kreaper's thread: http://www.crzforum.com/forum/do-yourself-articles/2490-switchback-led-front-turn-signal-install.html

Step 2: There are 2 horns on the car. one in front the driverside wheel and one infron of the Rad.

Step 3. unclip the wiring from horns and remove horns. It's held with 1 bolt each. Driverside one is easy to access but to access the bolt on the Rad Horn, you need to remove 3 plastic clips. 2 clips are illustrated on the photo below. one is on the bottom of the car.

Setp 4. If you look at the original horn, it only has 1 prong that connects to the wiring harness. this is Positive terminal. Negative is grounded throught the metal frame. I wired negative terminal of my new horn to the metal frame that connects to the bolt.

Setp 5. Wire up the positive side. Test to see if both horns are working. I had to use thicker guage wire for High Tone Horn for some reason.

Setp 6. Re-assemble and you are done! :hi5:

·
Registered
675 Posts
nice DIY! do you have a link wher you bought those from korea??

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Audio Clips - check the Youtube vids :)
I had my friend who was coming back from Korea buy this from a local shop. I have one set left for sale I could sell to you but shipping this would be too expensive I think.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Audio Clips - check the Youtube vids :)
I had my friend who was coming back from Korea buy this from a local shop. I have one set left for sale I could sell to you but shipping this would be too expensive I think.
One of my work mates are in Korea now. Maybe I'll get her to look into this one. I'll send her a pic. lol She's gonna be like WTF!!! :beer:

·
Registered
320 Posts
A type R... horn?... really? wheres that face-palm smiley when I need it...
Ive been a domestic car guy right up until I got this car, and I've made plenty of ricer jokes in the past so I may be a bit biased, but the whole "type R" craze... it just doesn't stop does it? :dunno:
Forget the packaging tho a horn is a horn, nice work on the mod :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great post.
Scary too. I just can't believe that I have to go this route to get rid of that wimpy horn.
I am not going to mess with the front of my car, just to be able to get to these stupid little horns.
There got to be better way, without dissembling the front of the car ????:dunno:
I have some small super strong horn from Italy which I was about to mount on my motorcycle, and I would like to use that one.
Is there any way of tracking down the wire for the original horn and cutting it so I could tap on it the new horn ?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Great post.
Scary too. I just can't believe that I have to go this route to get rid of that wimpy horn.
I am not going to mess with the front of my car, just to be able to get to these stupid little horns.
There got to be better way, without dissembling the front of the car ????:dunno:
I have some small super strong horn from Italy which I was about to mount on my motorcycle, and I would like to use that one.
Is there any way of tracking down the wire for the original horn and cutting it so I could tap on it the new horn ?
It is really just a 10 minute job taking the front bumper off. It takes longer to swap the horns than it takes to take the bumper off and put it back on, and it is a one man job.

J

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.