Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

so after realizing how boring and ugly our keys look lol, I decided to change my key to switch blade key.

Went to ebay and bought 3 button flip key shell for $10
and got keys cut at Honda Dealership: $10

since our keys have transponder built in in the electronic housing, it was direct swap without any modification.

Step1: Open up the original key: remove 1 screw and pop it open

Step2: Take out the button housing

Step3: Open up the flip key housing, it will want to turn clockwise. Turn it and Slowly seperate two halfs. Careful not to loose the spring or any other parts.

Step4: Fit the button housing and test all the buttons. For mine, I had to skim off the edges of the panic button hole.

Step5: Match up straight part of the spring and slot on the other half. Turn the other half 1 Revolution Counter clock wise. DO NOT turn it more than 1 revolution or you will ruin the spring. Close the housing and test the flip action before putting 3 screws back.

Step6: Carefully remove the original Honda logo from the original key and use some double sideded tape to stick it on the new housing

Keys Cut

And it Works!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
:hi5:

Thx! Just bought one!!

did you have to do any modifying to the chip? I've read that sometimes the transponder isnt close enough to the wheel and the car wont start - any issue like that with your mod??

cant wait!!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I am going to get the keys cut today so I will update you on that. one thing I had to modify was the hole for the panic button was a bit tight so I had to scrape the edges off with exacto knife.

·
Registered
421 Posts
great to hear but sucks because i just ordered the $100.00 ikeyless version.... plus i gotta pay for cutting and programming. you guys only have to pay $10.00 plus cutting....... oy vey!

1 - 20 of 295 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.