Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well i just installed my armrest and my wife loves it. Just wanted to post my experience with the install in case anyone is thinking about doing it.

I bought the armrest online and paid a little under 300 with shipping. The armrest came with all the needed parts to install it that they mention in the online guide to install it. You can view the installation guide at collegehillshonda.com

The install went smoothly and took me just a hare over 2 hours. Some of that time was just looking for tools. Mainly looking for something large enough to drill the holes. I was weary of installing it due to the fact that i had to drill holes and possibly destroy my new car or break something.

When installing it i did not unhook my battery as i saw no need for it and was just careful around all the wiring. FYI I'm not telling anyone else to do that so if you are dumb and shock yourself or do something else stupid don't blame me. I also did not have the little trim tool they talk about. I used an older flat head screwdriver that had dulled edges and i had no problems.

All of the trim pieces come off relatively easy and more importantly go back into place easily. I also did not feel as though i was in danger of breaking other stuff while doing it.

The worst part of the installation is drilling holes on the center console. That is when my wife came into the garage asking what the hell i was doing with a rather disgusted look on her face as she realized that the only reason i went to undergo this task was for her benefit. I just used a 1/2" and 1/4" wood drill bit the one that has a triangular center bit and it looks like wings on the side of the bit. It worked just perfect for me but if your installing it use whatever works for you.

I was also concerned that the armrest would not match as it does not appear to me on the pics on the internet that it would really match. It looks great though and looks just as though it was designed to be on the vehicle and not some after thought that they designed to bilk you for additional money. All the parts fit smoothly and it feels solid and stable. I would not want to put a couple hundred lbs of force on it but it seems more solid then i thought it would and seems and feels well made. The top of the armrest is covered in some faux leather i think and it is soft to the touch but seems durable

I dont like the idea of losing my big cup holder either but just bought some new water bottles that fit in the front cup holders.

It you are reasonably competent and take your time i would recommend the install to others. If you are clumsy and one of those people that magically have left over parts after building things then you may want to look into how much the dealer costs to install it.

Hope this helps others who may be thinking about installing it.

Copied form another thread

Wow I'm glad I didn't have the instructions, they make it TOO hard.
I spent 30 minutes figuring out how to do it and about 20 to put it in place.

1. Move both seats as far forward as possible
2. pop off the third cup holder
3. Loosen the e-break cable and unhook the two cables
4. Remove the lower two bolts holding the e-break attachment assembly .
5. remove the two black wood screws on the console then pop out the two plastic
clips that they were attached too.
6. Wiggle the Armrest bracket in place under the break cables and attach with the bolts that were removed.
7. hooked up break cables and adjusted.
8. used a step bit to in large the current hole where the two black screws were for those little silver collars
9. used a small awl to punch a spot on the console from the inside through the armrest bracket holes, used a step bit to drill a hole big just big enough for the supplied bolt to go though.
10. I used a die-grinder to open up the holes so the supplied plugs would fit.
11. vacuum up the plastic shavings
12. slide in armrest
13. install 4 supplied bolts silver collars on the the front to
14. install plastic plug caps.
15. slide seats back.

I never figured out the use of the cloth covered tape, till seeing the instructions. As long as your e-break cable is proper its is not needed, and the supplied zip tie is not needed as you do not need to remove the original one.
Found a DIY Video on the topic...

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
while the forum appreciates you taking the time to share with us how the install went... this really doesn't pass as a DIY mainly b/c you don't describe how to install it and there aren't even any pictures of this...

i'll give you a few days to respond so that you can either update this thread with the STEPS YOU TOOK to install the armrest and also to include some pictures... thanks :wavey:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a few reservations about installing the armrest and I have seen in the forums that a lot of people have complained about not having the armrest in the car. I know you can order them with it or pay the dealer after but I don't know many people that want a 600 armrest. My hope was to help people on the fence about the armrest to either get it or not. I almost didn't try the install based on the instruction i saw online that has been listed on this site. I didn't post pics as the guide has diagrams that are good and step by step instructions already. if anyone needs more info ill be happy to provide it other the disassembling my car again for pics. here are some pics once it is installed in case any care.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Question for those who self installed....

I had the dealer install mine.. and I have had an issue or two with the way things were done on some other accessories...

When you installed yours, did you have visible bolts at the bottom of the console? Like the pics below?

I have already told the service manager at this dealer not to let the clown who did the work above (and some other stuff) touch my car again. I just want to make sure this visible bolt (and one on the passenger side also) is normal?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
:eek:mg: wow... i'd take it back and get the correct hardware for that... unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, that appears to be a standard bolt+washer EVERY HONDA uses metric bolts throughout the ENTIRE vehicle...

it does add some "bling" to the side view... but i'd seriously go back and DEMAND they fix it properly and deduct that techs pay for that crap...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It wasn't this that I was pissed about... there was grease all over my seats and my headliner. There was a broken sun visor on the drivers side. I had the body side moulding installed... and the pieces didnt line up! The part past the rear of the door was about a 1/4" off on both sides.....

that is why I was not happy! I just figured that based on his other work, I wanted to make sure the console was done correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The exposed nuts are how the instructions show to make it. You can't really see it unless you are looking for it. I wasn't too thrilled with it either. One of the reasons I wanted to install it was because I have known a lot of incompetent mechanics that drop screws and nuts and don't bother to pull them out and I didn't want that garbage rolling around in my car.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The exposed nuts are how the instructions show to make it. You can't really see it unless you are looking for it. I wasn't too thrilled with it either. One of the reasons I wanted to install it was because I have known a lot of incompetent mechanics that drop screws and nuts and don't bother to pull them out and I didn't want that garbage rolling around in my car.
Thanks for the info. This guy screwed up so much other stuff, I just wanted to make sure this was right. The bolt that was used doesnt look like the one pictured on the PDF, so I was curious.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I installed mine yesterday, and yes the bolts are correct. Be aware that the instructions are NOT 100% accurate. There are some console dis-assembly needed that the instructions do not refer to, such as the center bar under the radio needs to be removed in order to get to the top console screws. Hovever the install is quite easy once you see how the armrest gets bolted in. I plan on covering the exposed bolts.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.