Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOPIC UNDER CONSTRUCTION

(Waiting for different leds to compare, I am posting this so I don't forget stuff)

Difficulty: Easy
Costs: You can get nice leds on eBay starting from 4 dollar till..
What you need: little screwdriver, textile for protection, ..
Not under my responsibility

1. When your door is open, put a small screwdriver with a bit of textile (for protecting the plastic) in the holes at the bottom of the transparant plate.
  2. There are 2 x U shaped clips, so you have to push that black doorpanel a bit away with your hands or a other screwdriver.
  3. After that you can tilt it over towards the inside of the car a bit in a certain angle (see picture) and then pull it down.

4. Press the door controller (name?) to cool of the light
  5. After that you have to wiggle the light, its rotated in 45 degrees clockwise (so wiggle in that way, north east - south west)

6. Now you can replace the T10 bulb with a other colored bulb or led. Max +/- 4 cm, so a lot of space left to use leds ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A canbus system is to control if the lightbulb is broken, but its normally for your headlights, indicators, brakelights etc.
So I expect that the canbus is not implanted on the door lights.

My collection should arrive next week!

Now about your led. That kind is the weakest in there sort. SMD is the strongest.

So if you want to flash out the blue lights I would go for something like this:
2 X 5 SMD LED T10 168 Blue Side Wedge Car Light Lamp on eBay (end time 24-Aug-10 08:58:47 BST)

For your info.. I ordered also a set of dome led light (xenon white blue), gone post the results to

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tutorial: Door lights replacements

And what a difference! Damn!

I will post pics but you need 3 different LEDs (door, license plate and trunkdome) + festoon SMD led

Because of the angle and space used. Will post them asap

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is it possible that LEDS would get hotter then the stock bulbs and cause melting or burning on some plastic? also which lights did you use specifically? can you post pics of them because I seem alot following that link and they look kind of large. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Is it possible that LEDS would get hotter then the stock bulbs and cause melting or burning on some plastic? also which lights did you use specifically? can you post pics of them because I seem alot following that link and they look kind of large. Thanks
LEDs stay wayyyy cooler than regular bulbs... not to mention they use less electricity probably resulting in a tiny increase in mpg...

·
Registered
208 Posts
The interior mods I've done in the past have been replacing the ~32mm long festoon bulbs, and I found 4 5mm white LEDs gave better light than the original 5W bulb. Any T10 bulb ought to fit in this location, but be aware that LEDs are quite directional, they only fire forwards (hence the SMD T10s having LEDs facing in 5 directions).
In this fitting, there is no reflector, so most of the light going sideways will reflect off the black plastic. Depending on the effect you want, that might soften the bright spot in the centre - or maybe a simple foil reflector might work.

In this location, I'd probably build a custom bulb to mount several SMD emitters on a flat PCB, with maybe 4 or 5 all facing forward. LEDs run cool, and like to stay cool, so it is an issue if you wanted really bright lights in there, so if anyone has ideas for how the standard 5SMT T10 doesn't look right, I can maybe knock together a design. (don't have mine yet to play with)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Great DIY. jss plugged red leds on my doors:]]

prob gonna buy some more leds for the rear interior lights.
are they the same bulbs? is there a diy for that too?
thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Checked them out and this thread features great pictures of all the panel removal/bulb replacement but not the doors. No matter thought I was able to figure it out by just looking for the notches and popping the panels off. Super easy install and looks badass after the swap.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I just replaced all the lights in my interior. The bulb location lacking pictures is the door illumination. Removing the lens from those isn't tricky.

I used a screwdriver (taped, of course) along the edge of the underside. Gently press upward near the notches until the lens "pops" a bit. It won't come loose all in one shot. After you have it loose, use your fingers to lift and pull the bottom of the lens. Once the bottom comes free, swing the lens outward away from the door. The top edge will drop out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.