Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's an easy mod for those of us who love the CVT and paddle shifters, but are too embarrassed to let the world know we drive an automatic.

PRND--Before:

...and After:

1) Remove trim ring by prying up at the indentation/slot located at the edge of the front of the trim ring:

2) The boot I'm using is from a 2013 CRZ 6-Speed--remove parts you don't need; the black plastic connector from the top of the boot, and the white plastic bottom that's held on with staples--but you can search/find one that you like better than the OEM 6-Speed boot. I made a template from a 3/4 inch thick piece of wood/scrap to hold the boot in the CVT trim ring while fastening into place:

3) Make the template so it slips freely in the trim ring, but snug enough to hold the boot secure while working with it.

4) Position the boot and template together, into the trim ring:

5) Leave enough material to wrap around the inside of the lip:

6) Cut off excess material, if any:

7) Remove the little access lid and tape over it to prevent glue from getting on the face of the trim/boot:

8) I used Weldwood contact cement, put on both surfaces and let set up for 15-30 minutes:

9) Press boot onto the trim--I used a 10mm wrench:

10) Cut a slit in the leather for the access hole lid, and notches for the clips to pass through:

11) Push the front edge of the wood template down/into the shift boot while holding the leather in place, then pull the template out and away from the trim ring:

12) Remove the tab/cover on the front of the shift knob to reveal the phillips-head screw:

13) There's another screw, right below the one under the tab/cover. The screws are really small, so put a towel over the opening for the trim ring, or you may drop one inside the console by accident--If you're a really froody guy who knows where his towel is, then you can skip the next step and go on to #15:

14) This is a good time to remove the console to adjust your e-brake cable, because you just lost one of the screws noted in step 13:

15) Now that the hand-brake is adjusted properly, remember to find that little screw you were looking for a half an hour ago. Now reinstall all the parts you didn't need to take apart for this DIY, then clip your new boot/trim assembly onto the console:

16) Instal the shift knob back onto the lever--don't worry, the hole in the top of the boot isn't wide enough to accidently drop one of those screws down to the bottom of the console again, so you shouldn't have to repeat steps 14 through 16. In fact, it takes a little bit of tugging and shaping to get the top of the boot to the right position (and it will hold there, if you're using the OEM CVT shift knob.)
This shows the selector in Park:

...and here it is in Neutral:

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude, youre the sh*t. Thank you.
Sure thing. And thanks for reminding me to do it, since I've had all the parts and pieces for quite some time now, but didn't get around to doing it until I was prompted a bit.:beer:

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice. Can you put the MT knob on there too?
I'm not sure, because I haven't examined the MT knob and how it mounts. On the other hand, I did convert my gen1 Insight's knob to a button-delete knob. I've never had a problem with the button on my CR-Z, but a semi-trailer just about backed over me while I was fumbling for the button to get the hail out of his way right after I got my Insight! (That was the first time I ever drove/owned an automatic, and was still forgetting you had to push a button to change the selector.):blink:

The only problem you might have with putting the CRZ 6-Speed knob on the CVT is that I think it threads on to the shaft, and you'll need an after market knob with set-screws. But before you look into that, check out the button actuator on your CVT--it has a plastic shaft that's quite long, so you may have to push the lever down (disabling the push-button to shift function) and drill a small hole through the metal shaft and through the plastic while it's still in the down position. EDIT: Can't disable the push button--see Fediej's note in a following post. END EDIT

You'll be locking the selector button into the down position by inserting a metal sleeve into the hole you drilled or tap some threads (preferred method) and put an allen screw in there to hold it down.

You might be able to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, by taking the plastic rod and metal shaft apart, and (after you find out where exactly to cut it) cut the plastic rod and thread the inside of the metal shaft, so you can screw a piece of all-thread down into the shaft far enough to be stable and to hold the plastic rod in the down position, then (if you have the right thread in your all-thread) you can just spin the 6-Speed OEM shift knob on.

Before you make such modifications, it would be a good idea to go ahead and buy the parts that you will need to revert back to the normal automatic shift actuation in case you want/need to put every thing back to the condition it was before you started cutting and drilling.:beer:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Daymnnnnnn, that's a sick subtle mod! I have an automatic too, but I can drive manual. I think it's time to break out my sewing skills....

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Daymnnnnnn, that's a sick subtle mod! I have an automatic too, but I can drive manual. I think it's time to break out my sewing skills....
Thanks for the applause on the mod. Since I've done it, I tend to forget what the OEM looks like underneath it all. Post a pic of yours, after you get done sewing!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Loved the boot mod! I did this when I had my CVT, gave it a more upscale look, imo.
Regarding swapping the shift knob: Sick Speed makes/sells an adapter that allows you to thread on a manual knob while retaining the push down function. If the actuator is locked down as Litz suggested, you can't remove your key from the ignition. May not be an issue with those that have the fancy starter buttons. Just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Loved the boot mod! I did this when I had my CVT, gave it a more upscale look, imo.
Regarding swapping the shift knob: Sick Speed makes/sells an adapter that allows you to thread on a manual knob while retaining the push down function. If the actuator is locked down as Litz suggested, you can't remove your key from the ignition. May not be an issue with those that have the fancy starter buttons. Just an FYI.
By golly, you're right! I did "lock" the button down in my 1st Gen Insight with no problem, but the CR-Z has a bit more nuance to it, lol. Hope my idea didn't cause any cursing and screaming throughout the neighborhood. :|
Here's a video of how slick the Sick Speed adapter works:

Thanks @Fediej ! :grin2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts