Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
@litz disusses that filter here

The filter is at the radiator on the back connected to the transmission cooling lines. They are hard lines.

· Registered
184 Posts
Use alternatives at your own risk. Places that service my CVT recommend every 50 K (or go by the minder) and don't forget the inline filter which is listed as a radiator part..
Solid advice Spdbump.

Yea, I was trying to be friendly in hopes he was legit. But red flag make it suspect as heck. New account, only 1 post, and no follow up, in addition to the overall "salty" tone of the post..

One can speculate, but that's all that is.

Anyhow, still sticking with factory CVT fluid here.

I'm really interested in hearing about the Amsoil CVT in the CRZ. Alas probably won't ever.

· Premium Member
9,067 Posts
When my car was inspected this year, I had them do the oil change and tire cross rotation ( by time) and they recommended CVT fluid change and mentioned it should be done every 50K. I told them I would do the air filters and wiper blades myself later in the day. They claimed my filters were slightly dirty. Saw very little dirt for the engine air filter, but I change it yearly anyway, along with the cabin filter and the wiper blades. They also suggested cleaning the throttle body. I think they maybe on the edge of just trying to sell me services I do not need. They have some service they use that said it was due (kind of like CarFax, but for maintenance). I said I think if you look in my service history book( which I had wanted them to fill out and had handed to them for this service) you will find it was done. We looked at the book together, and it had been done at 66K approximately and sitting at the shop that day it was at just over 80K. I will probably change all fluids on the car, spark plugs and serpentine belt at 100K no matter what the minder says.

Make sure you keep some kind of records for any maintenance done, so the records are accurate. In this case if I had not made sure the book was filled out I might have gone for a maintenance a bit too soon. Not that is a bad thing, but can add to costs.
He was surprised I had done it that early. Since purchase of the car, I think this was the 3rd or 4th change at that time (I have to check the book which is in the car). The point is, I am very meticulous on maintenance. It is part of how I plan to keep the car on the road the longest time possible.

· Registered
184 Posts
Can someone show me a photo of the inline filter installed? The OP lists "8. Next is the CVT transmission filter change. Here is a picture of the filter in the red box:" but I don't see the photo. I got a general description about where I should find the inline filter, but I want to make sure for the next CVT change. Also, would someone list the OEM parts No of this filter? The manual did not say anything about this inline filter. At the last B13 Maintenance Minder code on my Son's 15 CRZ, I just drain and filled fluid and did not do the filter. He bought it used, so that was the first CVT change I had to do on the car.

Oops you asked for a photo installed. Sorry no photo but honestly you can't miss it. Located behind the radiator with one end going into the radiator.

· Registered
29 Posts
Oops you asked for a photo installed. Sorry no photo but honestly you can't miss it. Located behind the radiator with one end going into the radiator.
Thanks for the Amazon link. Yeah, I did not change the filter last time. It's done already. I am not going to just change the filter now I will wait for the next tranny fluid change code. I think at least 3-4 years away. LOL

· This space deliberately left blank
2,558 Posts
Thanks for the Amazon link. Yeah, I did not change the filter last time. It's done already. I am not going to just change the filter now I will wait for the next tranny fluid change code. I think at least 3-4 years away. LOL
you should be changing your fluid every 30,000 miles no matter what the maintenance minder says.

· Registered
29 Posts
you should be changing your fluid every 30,000 miles no matter what the maintenance minder says.
Thanks for the tip. The car is my son's. I think 30K miles is 3-4 years for him.

BTW, does anyone know how the Honda's maintenance minder sub-code 3 (replace the transmission fluid and transfer fluid) get tripped? Is there some sensor monitoring the CVT fluid level or quality, or is it strictly based on the miles since the last sub-code "3"? I have read somewhere that the oil-change code A or B is based on sensor reading, but I have no idea how that works either.

CVT change for every 30K miles sounds excessive for me. I come from Prius world where there is no transmission fluid change mentioned in the maintenance book. Theoretically, the transmission fluid is for life on Prius, although many enthusiasts recommend changing it more frequently.

· Registered
2,819 Posts
30000 miles on the CR-Z's cvt fluid is pretty standard unless you are super gentle in which case you may be able to go longer. There are many on this forum that have changed their cvt fluid much more frequently, some by choice and some by necessity.

· Registered
467 Posts
I've changed the fluid and filter both times in my 13. It had 55k on it when I got it and there was no previous records of fluid change so,,,,,I am up to 75k miles and hopefully it lasts a long time. I'll slow down on the changes now and hit them every 20k or so.

· Registered
29 Posts
BTW, does anyone know how the Honda's maintenance minder sub-code 3 (replace the transmission fluid and transfer fluid) get tripped? Is there some sensor monitoring the CVT fluid level or quality, or is it strictly based on the miles since the last sub-code "3"? I have read somewhere that the oil-change code A or B is based on sensor reading, but I have no idea how that works either.
Well, I thought the next CVT fluid change on my son's 2015 CRZ base would be further away. I changed it 15 mo/ 20kmiles ago, but the Maintenace Minder came up with the B13 subcode recently. I really don't know what causes the subcode "3" to be triggered. I finished the oil/filter and CVT fluid drain and fill yesterday. I was planning to change the filter this time and purchased the OEM parts mentioned in #44. Well, as it turned out, I hit a snag on the oil change part and couldn't get to the transmission fluid change till later in the afternoon. I was working on my driveway and it was getting dark. So, I had to just drain and fill the CVT fluid without fiddling with the in-line filter and had to call it done.

When I was searching for the CVT in-line filter replacement video, I found this one on YouTube. I don't have a service manual on CRZ, but it seems Honda does not mention the replacement of the in-line filter for many of its cars that has this filter. So, is it really necessary to change the filter at some point even without any leak?
Honda ATF Filters - Should You Change Them? - YouTube

BTW, it seems there is a shortage of HONDA OEM CVT-1 fluid (Parts #: 08200-9006) in some shops. Amazon still lists it as in stock but the price is very high, like $21.33/qt. I ordered bulk from Ebay seller, they initially took my order but later canceled it saying it was no longer in stock. Checked a local Honda dealer, but they only had 2qt in stock at $13/qt. Find an online parts store in Arizona, but again this place did not have any in stock. Finally, I souced one Honda Parts on-line store with reasonable price and shipping cost $6.73/qt +$10.69 SH. Ordered 9 qts, so I can do two more changes in the future. If you order online, make sure to check the SH fee. some shops are charging outrageous "hazardous material shipping" fees.

· Registered
2,819 Posts
Well, I thought the next CVT fluid change on my son's 2015 CRZ base would be further away. I changed it 15 mo/ 20kmiles ago, but the Maintenace Minder came up with the B13 subcode recently. I really don't know what causes the subcode "3" to be triggered. I finished the oil/filter and CVT fluid drain and fill yesterday. I was planning to change the filter this time and purchased the OEM parts mentioned in #44. Well, as it turned out, I hit a snag on the oil change part and couldn't get to the transmission fluid change till later in the afternoon. I was working on my driveway and it was getting dark. So, I had to just drain and fill the CVT fluid without fiddling with the in-line filter and had to call it done.

When I was searching for the CVT in-line filter replacement video, I found this one on YouTube. I don't have a service manual on CRZ, but it seems Honda does not mention the replacement of the in-line filter for many of its cars that has this filter. So, is it really necessary to change the filter at some point even without any leak?
Honda ATF Filters - Should You Change Them? - YouTube

BTW, it seems there is a shortage of HONDA OEM CVT-1 fluid in some shops. Amazon still lists it as in stock but the price is very high, like $21.33/qt. I ordered bulk from Ebay seller, they initially took my order but later canceled it saying it was no longer in stock. Checked a local Honda dealer, but they only had 2qt in stock at $13/qt. Find an online parts store in Arizona, but again this place did not have any in stock. Finally, I souced one Toyota dealer on-line store with reasonable price and shipping cost. Ordered 9 qts, so I can do two more changes in the future.
Good job sticking with the genuine Honda fluid, even though you had to go through a lot to get it. You could probably do okay with only changing the in-line filter every other CVT fluid change but I definitely wouldn't want to gamble any longer than that. If you decide to not change it at all and just wait for it to get all clogged up to see what happens please let us know. The CVT on these cars can be finicky especially if you are skimpy on the preventative maintenance.

· Registered
562 Posts
Given how critical it is to use the right fluid it's worth taking the time and effort to get it. CVT's need all the love they can get.
Even for the MT, which isn't quite as critical but does matter, I just went to Honda and bought a couple of quarts of the official Honda MT fluid.

· Registered
29 Posts
You could probably do okay with only changing the in-line filter every other CVT fluid change but I definitely wouldn't want to gamble any longer than that. If you decide to not change it at all and just wait for it to get all clogged up to see what happens please let us know.
Since the manual does not mention anything about replacing the in-line filter, I did not know about it until I came across this thread. That was after I finished the first CVT fluid change on my son's CRZ. When the B13 code popped up again to my surprise after only 15mo/20Kmiles on his car, I ordered the OEM filter with an intention of changing it at the time of CVT fluid change. But as I said, I hit a snag with oil change which I started first, so I had to finish the CVT fluid change quickly before it gets dark. Yeah, I have the filter parts and extra CVT fluid now, so at the next chance, I will replace it. I will see how hard it is to remove the hose off the filter. After consulting a few YouTube videos, I realized that many Honda vehicle has this in-line filter. Seems to be in some vehicles, it is hidden under the battery cage and a few other components in the engine bay making it rather difficult to get to it. That does not seem to be the case with CRZ. It is visible from the bottom of the car and nothing is blocking the access. I am still curious if anyone knows how the Maintenance Minder decides when is the time to change CVT fluid (subcode 3).

· This space deliberately left blank
2,558 Posts
Since the manual does not mention anything about replacing the in-line filter, I did not know about it until I came across this thread. That was after I finished the first CVT fluid change on my son's CRZ. When the B13 code popped up again to my surprise after only 15mo/20Kmiles on his car, I ordered the OEM filter with an intention of changing it at the time of CVT fluid change. But as I said, I hit a snag with oil change which I started first, so I had to finish the CVT fluid change quickly before it gets dark. Yeah, I have the filter parts and extra CVT fluid now, so at the next chance, I will replace it. I will see how hard it is to remove the hose off the filter. After consulting a few YouTube videos, I realized that many Honda vehicle has this in-line filter. Seems to be in some vehicles, it is hidden under the battery cage and a few other components in the engine bay making it rather difficult to get to it. That does not seem to be the case with CRZ. It is visible from the bottom of the car and nothing is blocking the access. I am still curious if anyone knows how the Maintenance Minder decides when is the time to change CVT fluid (subcode 3).
the maintenance minder uses driving habits, time, and overall conditions to monitor all fluid changes. I think the general consensus has been that the maintenance minder does not tell you to change the CVT fluid as often as you realistically should for best operation and longevity.

I would go every 30,000 miles on the CVT fluid, and every other change on the filter.

And yes, I've got the exact same filter on my Acura MDX, and If I keep it long enough to have to change it more than one more time, I'm installing a relocation kit.

· Registered
29 Posts
the maintenance minder uses driving habits, time, and overall conditions to monitor all fluid changes. I think the general consensus has been that the maintenance minder does not tell you to change the CVT fluid as often as you realistically should for best operation and longevity.

I would go every 30,000 miles on the CVT fluid, and every other change on the filter.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I am reading here that CVT fluid change every 30K miles is standard practice on CRZ. I use to own a gasser Civic (1998) and then Hybrid Civic (2008) before switching to Prius, but can't remember doing transmission fluid change that often. However, I did not do maintenance DIY back then and did not pay much attention to what was done to the car at a shop, so maybe it was done more frequently than I can remember. In any case, the strange thing about my son's CRZ I just worked on B13 Maintenance Minder code was that sub-code 3 popped up only after 20K miles / 15 mo since the last CVT fluid change also by a sub-code 3. That is contrary to your statement about Maintenance Minder. I just thought that something triggered this early (only 20K interval) sub-code 3, but honestly, I have no clue.

· Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I am reading here that CVT fluid change every 30K miles is standard practice on CRZ. I use to own a gasser Civic (1998) and then Hybrid Civic (2008) before switching to Prius, but can't remember doing transmission fluid change that often. However, I did not do maintenance DIY back then and did not pay much attention to what was done to the car at a shop, so maybe it was done more frequently than I can remember. In any case, the strange thing about my son's CRZ I just worked on B13 Maintenance Minder code was that sub-code 3 popped up only after 20K miles / 15 mo since the last CVT fluid change also by a sub-code 3. That is contrary to your statement about Maintenance Minder. I just thought that something triggered this early (only 20K interval) sub-code 3, but honestly, I have no clue.
That's interesting. I started out changing CVT fluid every 30,000 miles, but after installing a supercharger on it, I changed it every Winter (if I didn't, I would probably have gotten the nudge, nudge to change it before my "normal" 30,000.....

· Registered
29 Posts
That's interesting. I started out changing CVT fluid every 30,000 miles, but after installing a supercharger on it, I changed it every Winter (if I didn't, I would probably have gotten the nudge, nudge to change it before my "normal" 30,000.....
Wait, so are you saying after installing a supercharger (whatever that is since I don't have a clue as tot what it is), you are doing yearly CVT fluid change, and if you don't change it, the Maintenance Minder was showing sub-code 3 within a year of duration?

· Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Wait, so are you saying after installing a supercharger (whatever that is since I don't have a clue as tot what it is), you are doing yearly CVT fluid change, and if you don't change it, the Maintenance Minder was showing sub-code 3 within a year of duration?
A supercharger is a forced air induction system, which gives the car an estimated 30% to 50% horse power increase. So, I figure it will also accelerate the wear and tear on the engine and transmission, and that would speed up the Maintenance Minder's suggested fluid change interval. As it turned out, I put a lot less than 30,000 per year on my car, so I actually had less than 10-15,000 miles on a CVT change; which was just below the "...20K miles / 15 mo " code interval you got, so I never did actually get that sub code, seeing as I changed it more frequently than the Minder insisted. :)

· Registered
29 Posts
As it turned out, I put a lot less than 30,000 per year on my car, so I actually had less than 10-15,000 miles on a CVT change; which was just below the "...20K miles / 15 mo " code interval you got, so I never did actually get that sub code, seeing as I changed it more frequently than the Minder insisted.
I see. So you are not actually seeing accelerated Maintenance Minder prompt to change the CVT fluid. Since I don't know how my son drives his CRZ, I have to guess, something in an environment or the way he drives has accelerated the prompt this time. Interested to find out when the next sub-code 3 appears on his car. In absence of the sub-code prompt, I will wait for 30Kmiles for the next CVT fluid change. That will take the car up to 95K miles (currently at 65k). I think that will be close to getting sub-code 4 (spark plug change) and 5 (coolant change).

· Registered
2,819 Posts
I see. So you are not actually seeing accelerated Maintenance Minder prompt to change the CVT fluid. Since I don't know how my son drives his CRZ, I have to guess, something in an environment or the way he drives has accelerated the prompt this time. Interested to find out when the next sub-code 3 appears on his car. In absence of the sub-code prompt, I will wait for 30Kmiles for the next CVT fluid change. That will take the car up to 95K miles (currently at 65k). I think that will be close to getting sub-code 4 (spark plug change) and 5 (coolant change).
Tell your son to be nice to his CR-Z, or he'll have to do the maintenance himself. Or tell him to be nice AND have him do the maintenance. ;)

41 - 60 of 62 Posts