Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we were installing a set of Cusco Coilovers, we took a little time to take some extra pictures. As a forum sponsor, we'd also like to do our parts and contribute to the community so we're writing up a DIY that should help provide a little insight into what's involved in installing coilovers. The same procedure can be used to install lowering springs.

Stock Height

1. Remove the wheels

Stock front suspension

2. Remove the top nut holding the shock by removing the rubber cap and holding the threaded center with an allen key and turning the nut with an open wrench.

3. Unbolt the swaybar end link by also holding the thread with an allen key while turning the nut with an open wrench.

4. Remove from the bracket and unclip the abs sensor line.

5. Bungee or strap the hub so that it doesn't swing out too far so it doesn't pull the half-shaft out of the cv joint when removing the shock. Also a good idea to put a jack or something under the lower arm so it doesn't hang too low which can also let the half-shaft fall out.

6. After securing the hub or having someone hold it, remove the 2 bolts holding the shock to the knuckle and pull out the whole assembly.

OEM vs Cusco comparison

7. For the Cusco suspension and possibly other coilovers, remove the collar from the top of the stock shock and re-use it on the Cusco Coilovers

Order of assembly

Rubber mount sits on top of the collar

8. Reassemble it all the same way you took it apart.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Stock Rear Suspension

9. Pop open the rear panels to reveal the top of the shocks by gently prying them with a screwdriver.

10. Remove upper bolt holding the rear shock to the body same way as the front by holding the center with an allen key and using an open wrench to remove the nut.

11. Remove the bolt holding the bottom of the shock to the lower arm, and pull the shock out.

12. Push the lower arm down an remove the spring. Note the orientation of the bottom rubber mount and reinstall it the same way.

OEM vs. Cusco (spring and perch is shown upside down)

13. Trim the tabs off of the top OEM rubber mount to install them into the cusco adjustable spring perch.

A razor blade works easily and quickly.

14. Insert the rubber mount into the threaded spring sleeve and install the whole assembly with the perch on the top of the spring.

15. Make sure the spring is correctly positioned in the bottom rubber mount and correctly placed in the bottom arm.

Spring assembly should look something like this.

16. Make sure the stock rubber bushings are not still stuck on the body and re-install the new shock. The body of the car should be sandwiched by the 2 rubber bushings.

Correct order of components with the body of the car in between the 2 rubber bushings.

17. Install the bottom bolt by jacking up the lower arm and lining up the holes on the shock.

All put together

Lowered

·
Registered
758 Posts
Great shots GoTuning and thanks for the DIY!

How does the lowering kit change the handling characteristics, if it does?
The handling feels a lot better. I feel that I have more control in the car. The ride is stiffer but still comfortable. The only time I really notice how stiff it is, is when I drive on really bumpy roads.

I am glad I bought them.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sadly I have to wait for someone to make a Tüv approved kit. Hoping KW will release something similar as they come with Tüv papers. Awesome DIY anyways! Keep ut the good work :)

How does this kit improve handling under heavy braking at high speeds btw? Read someone taking the Z to the Autobahn and not being happy with it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks amazing i will be ordering these soon. How much is it lowered?
We didn't measure the height before we lowered it but just measure the stock wheel gap and that's how much lower it is now. The tire is even with the fender well.

Sadly I have to wait for someone to make a Tüv approved kit. Hoping KW will release something similar as they come with Tüv papers. Awesome DIY anyways! Keep ut the good work :)

How does this kit improve handling under heavy braking at high speeds btw? Read someone taking the Z to the Autobahn and not being happy with it.
Lowering the ride height and increasing the spring rate will most definitely provide more stable braking regardless of which coilover you use.

Unfortunately this kit was designed for the Japanese market so they don't submit it for TUV approval. Sooner or later, there will be a TUV kit.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is that maxed out? I need to get it slammed, so can you remove stuff on the coil over to make it drop further?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is that maxed out? I need to get it slammed, so can you remove stuff on the coil over to make it drop further?
Most coilover kits arent going to get you much more than a 2.5" drop... And yeah, not really recommended to start removing parts from coils to try and make it lower. They're built specifically to withstand the force put on them at their lowest settings, and not bottom out.

Just go to the "hood" and get your springs chopped :giggle:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just used this thread to install my coilover's today. With my nephews help it was an easy install. Didn't have the means to get the whole car up, so raised the front, installed the front and adjusted, then did the rear. With T1R Basics she'd go much lower then the stock wheels could on the front, room to go max drop on the back. Had to adjust it up a bit in the front was getting wheel rub on the max turn stops.

Thanks for this write up, had it on my kindle Fire, so I could review the pics while working on it. Now I feel the need for twisties. Have an appointment for an alignment Wednesday, So have tomorrow to do any adjustments that I may need. Got the CR-Z warm fuzzies again. :rotfl:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got same kit (zero-1)
Do you need to use clams on front oem shocks to take them out? I can not get my head over how one nut can hold the spring on top of the shock and same time be mounted to the body of the car... ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.