Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was having problems being heard while using HFL. Everyone complained that I sounded very distant and that I could not be heard very well, even when I leaned in closer to the mic. Did some research.. and experimenting and this is what I came up with.

The Navigation unit in the CR-Z has a diagnostic mode (meant for techs to use as trouble shooting) but has the ability to set the mic sensitivity for the driver.

Step 1: With the car running and in park, Simply press and hold the Map, Menu and Cancel buttons down for about 5 seconds and you will see this screen:

At this screen select the "Detailed Information and Settings" Tab and you will see this menu:

On this Screen select "Functional Setup" and you will see a screen that looks like this:

At this screen press the talk button on your steering wheel controls and talk in a normal speaking voice from your normal sitting position. It will record your voice levels and adjust the microphone sensitivity level accordingly. For example, the lower you voice appears on the sensitivity meter the more it will turn the mic sensitivity up. Afterward, press return until you are out of this mode. The people you call should now be able to hear you much better when using your HFL and also the the Navigation unit will better understand your commands.

Note: I highly suggest you do not tamper with anything else in this menu, this is for techs and advanced users and you could change something that would prove harmful!!!!

Sorry that I have no info for non-nav units but being I own a CR-Z with a NAV I was only able to test on my own vehicle. So please if you have a non nav unit and find any info to add to this post... Please do! :hi5:

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
so did this "fix" the low/far sounding mic when talking to ppl?? just trying to be as accurate as possible here... see, i was able to get to this same screen/diagnostic on my '06 Si-navi and the mic adjustment was ONLY for the "Voice Controls" for the radio, navi, etc... of course since bluetooth wasn't available on my year/model, the adjustments i did obviously wasn't for bluetooth...

can anyone confirm this is how to "properly" adjust bluetooth mic volume or if the bluetooth shares the same mic as the voice controls??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so did this "fix" the low/far sounding mic when talking to ppl?? just trying to be as accurate as possible here... see, i was able to get to this same screen/diagnostic on my '06 Si-navi and the mic adjustment was ONLY for the "Voice Controls" for the radio, navi, etc... of course since bluetooth wasn't available on my year/model, the adjustments i did obviously wasn't for bluetooth...

can anyone confirm this is how to "properly" adjust bluetooth mic volume or if the bluetooth shares the same mic as the voice controls??
Well I placed a few calls after I did this adjustment to some of the same people that were telling me they couldn't hear me, and the response was excellent. Everyone said that they could hear me very well, a couple people commented that they could not tell I was talking to them via blue tooth.

So far in testing, this defiantly makes a difference in BT phone conversations and I have noticed a big difference in voice commands. I was having troubles getting the voice commands to work properly and was starting to think I was not fond of the system. I have been testing this out for a couple days now before I decided to post, but would also love to hear others input. If you have had trouble with mic sensitivity like I have please try this fix and post back your results.

Also for non Nav users, if anyone finds the magic trick (I am sure there is a similar diagnostic screen for the standard unit as well) please let everyone know.

Thanks for the feedback.:)

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
:cool: thanks for the update!!

i'm not sure what it would be since the Civic non-navi model didn't require a mic for anything... maybe the newer models with BT might be able to chime in of find info on how to do it on those, i'm sure the process is the same if not similar...

·
Registered
85 Posts
One more question, when you say to press the "talk" button, are you talking about the button used for voice commands for the nav, or the button used to place telephone call commands?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Good timing. Just today Mrs. GM3 said she had problems hearing me so I will give this a try tomorrow. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Well I placed a few calls after I did this adjustment to some of the same people that were telling me they couldn't hear me, and the response was excellent. Everyone said that they could hear me very well, a couple people commented that they could not tell I was talking to them via blue tooth.

So far in testing, this defiantly makes a difference in BT phone conversations and I have noticed a big difference in voice commands. I was having troubles getting the voice commands to work properly and was starting to think I was not fond of the system. I have been testing this out for a couple days now before I decided to post, but would also love to hear others input. If you have had trouble with mic sensitivity like I have please try this fix and post back your results.

Also for non Nav users, if anyone finds the magic trick (I am sure there is a similar diagnostic screen for the standard unit as well) please let everyone know.

Thanks for the feedback.:)
Ditto... Kreaper said it all! Worked the same for me!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cool tech help. Everyone complains when i talk to them in my car. Very smart, very cool. Thanks man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only thing I am unhappy with in the crz is the mic sound without navi. anyone have any tips how to increase the sound?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It did not adjust my volume but did show up as a red indicator when returning to the diagnostic screen. I'll go back in and try again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You cannot believe the problem I am having. It's Miller Honda in Van Nuys, and I'm happy to post that. I will be calling Honda tomorrow. It's been three months since the Bluetooth started going bad. People said it sounded like I was in a wind-tunnel. A person had ordered a part and said it would be in, in two weeks. That was three months ago. I have made seven phone calls and never received a reply. I finally went in -- twice -- and was told they would call me. Finally, last week... I am having some medical issues. And now I need to be talking to doctors and they can't hear me, and when I leave a message, it sounds garbled. I went in yet again, this time speaking to a manager who was very apologetic. I said I would not leave until it was resolved. He promised me that either he or the person who had ordered it would call me the next day and that 'I could count on it.'
What should I do now???

·
Registered
676 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to make the mic more sensitive on non-navi ex models. At times people have a hard time hearing me, especially with the air on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to make the mic more sensitive on non-navi ex models. At times people have a hard time hearing me, especially with the air on.
:yeahthat: x2

I have similar complaints at highway speed. It works fine as long as there is no background noise, AC fan is on low, and driving at under 45 mph. It would be nice to be able to adjust it without paying the extra $2k for Navi...

Good find for the Navis, Kreaper. It does give me hope that the non-Navi has some sort of adjustment option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the same problem with people barely understanding me, especially when the car is moving, even slowly. I don't have the nav, so can't do the adjustment shown here. I wonder if there's a possibility of replacing the mic with a better one. The lousy mic is especially worthless for voice control of my iPhone with Siri, which works perfectly through just the phone. Whether I speak normally, close to the mic, slowly, loudly, over-enunciate, the Honda Bluetooth is useless. I could, of course, keep switching the audio input on my phone every time I use Siri, but that defeats the purpose of the "hands-free" concept. I have a 2011, so maybe the newer models work better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts