Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
According to hondanavi.com, it looks like the CR-Z uses the same Navi software (Turquoise DVD) as the Fit.

I own a 2009 Fit and have been working off and on to disable the OK button since I bought the thing. It's unbelievable that Honda expects us to pay $100-$150 for map updates EACH year and then has the audacity to require us to press the OK button each time we start the car. I think a ONE time acknowledgement, or each time the car battery is disconnected/reconnected would have been more than sufficient.

That said, I've been able to reproduce Agent Craig's work over at Honda Navigation Hacking - Hive13 Wiki From my work, I've found that most of the existing Windows CE ROM modification tools either don't work with our version of the software, or corrupt the extracted files (ie Bysin and Cerom). If, for example, I extracted the same set of files multiple times, I would get different results each time (observed by doing binary comparisons on the extracted files)

I thus took it upon myself to re-write these tools, and I've made some progress - to the point where I could replicate the changes Agent Craig made to HMIManager.dll and verify they work with my Navi system.

I really think if those of us working on this put our heads together, we can nail this thing. awptickes, I would be very interested in hearing from you as to what you've discovered/modified/tried/etc. What tools are you using to modify the .bin file? Are you using IDA to analyze HMIManager.dll or some other tool?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm trying to do something similar but on a TL, the problem I'm running into is injecting HMIManager.dll back into the bin file using bysin, however bysin always comes back with "Unable to find HMIManager.dll on BIN"

Subscribing, hope when you guys figure out how to remove the nag screen from HMIManager.dll, you'll also figure out how to inject HMIManager.dll back into 10AVN2.bin.
I had the same issue when I attempted to apply Agent Craig's hack to enable using DVD-R's instead of the original disc. I ended up doing a lot of research online and analysis of the Bysin/Cerom code to figure out the file format of the .bin files. It turns out that Bysin and Cerom both produce inconsistent results on multiple runs extracting the same sets of files. That is, if you extract the same files multiple times and then compare the results, they are inconsistent with seemingly random "corruption" in random files.

After this discovery, I created my own tool that lists the records of the bin file and validates the checksum of each. With this, I was able to use a hex editor to replicate Agent Craig's patch and then use my tool to get the correct checksum for the record within the bin that I changed, and then use the hex editor to correct the checksum. At that point, the patch worked like a charm (many thanks to Agent Craig!)

My plan is to eventually release binaries and source code for a full-featured ROM editor, but for the time being the tool I've written gets the job done (for me, at least).

Once the OK button is hacked away (sounds like Awptickes has made more progress than anyone on this front), I plan to resume work on the bin editor for anyone who wants to make other changes to their system.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Looks like this is sort of getting somewhere!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think the checksum is what is causing my hack to crash.

I had the same issue when I attempted to apply Agent Craig's hack to enable using DVD-R's instead of the original disc. I ended up doing a lot of research online and analysis of the Bysin/Cerom code to figure out the file format of the .bin files. It turns out that Bysin and Cerom both produce inconsistent results on multiple runs extracting the same sets of files. That is, if you extract the same files multiple times and then compare the results, they are inconsistent with seemingly random "corruption" in random files.

After this discovery, I created my own tool that lists the records of the bin file and validates the checksum of each. With this, I was able to use a hex editor to replicate Agent Craig's patch and then use my tool to get the correct checksum for the record within the bin that I changed, and then use the hex editor to correct the checksum. At that point, the patch worked like a charm (many thanks to Agent Craig!)

My plan is to eventually release binaries and source code for a full-featured ROM editor, but for the time being the tool I've written gets the job done (for me, at least).

Once the OK button is hacked away (sounds like Awptickes has made more progress than anyone on this front), I plan to resume work on the bin editor for anyone who wants to make other changes to their system.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Have you tried the hack on another nav unit? Maybe my nav is just acting up.
Yes. I tried it on my car's navi after I thought I'd fixed it on your unit. The issue is when I try to put in an address, or switch back to navi from the navi menu.

I'm going to try it in my Dad's 2009 Fit Sport next time I see him, but I think it'll happen on that too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. I tried it on my car's navi after I thought I'd fixed it on your unit. The issue is when I try to put in an address, or switch back to navi from the navi menu.

I'm going to try it in my Dad's 2009 Fit Sport next time I see him, but I think it'll happen on that too.
I have the same Fit and would be more than happy to try it. As for the checksum, from what I experienced the software update would not load if the checksum within the bin file was incorrect. I had initially tried just modifying the bytes of interest in the bin file via hex editor, but the system would never flash my updates. Once I (manually) fixed the checksum, everything worked fine.

I'd be happy to post the source code to my tool. I haven't had time to work on it recently, so it still won't modify a bin file ... but it will check one and tell you if the checksums are incorrect, and if so, what they should be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for chiming in late, I just discovered this thread. Hopefully the efforts haven't stopped yet. I am more than happy to help out if someone can brief me on the progress.

I own a 2007 accord with the White DVD. I actually don't mind the nag screen because it will automatically blank the display if I don't click ok - helps with night driving when I don't want the nav screen on. However this project seems like a fun challenge.

Is there a free decompiler that is able to work with SH-4 binaries? I am between jobs now so the license for Ida Pro is WAY out of my budget.

James Bond: I agree with you about issues with checksums being seemingly random. Two different versions of bysin/dumpnavi produced different data within the 09Touch2.bin file even though the internal edits of the HMIManager.dll file were identical prior to doing the "update" to the bin.

sprite23: Regarding the error you are getting "Unable to find HMIManager.dll on BIN", I was getting the same error. Looking through the source of the bysin/dumpnavi code, I realized there had been some updates for a command line parameter option called "updateModule" instead of just "update". This should allow you to update "compressed" modules in the bin (even though they are not really compressed). You should see a "C" for "Compressed" while doing a listing of the elements contained in the bin. I haven't found any compiled binaries for windows containing the updates for the latest code, so I had to recompile it in VC++ to get it to work. You can do the same, then make the call:
bysin 09Touch2.bin updateModule HMIManager.dll
Worked for me.

Good job to all the people who have contributed to this so far. There has been a lot of progress made towards reverse engineering this system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
James Bond: I agree with you about issues with checksums being seemingly random. Two different versions of bysin/dumpnavi produced different data within the 09Touch2.bin file even though the internal edits of the HMIManager.dll file were identical prior to doing the "update" to the bin.
I've been pretty busy since last hearing from awptickes, so I haven't updated the tool I was working on beyond it verifying the checksums in the different parts of a bin file. This is still useful, though, since it allows one to make binary/hex edit changes to the file and then see what checksum values need to be updated to have a working bin file (if the checksum is invalid, the car won't accept the modified bin file).

I've tried using IDA Pro to explore the OK button removal, but it's not exactly an intuitive piece of software.

I'm not sure if the crashes awptickes was experiencing were due to file corruption from the bin editing tools he was using, but if so, I would be interested to try his changes by editing the bin files directly w/ a hex editor and then fixing up the checksum(s) with the tool I created.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OH NO! Reviving a dead-ish thread.....

So, while I don't own a crz..
I'd love to take a crack at this, as soon as I'm able to get the DVD and grab the files. I'm a software developer, mostly for desktop applications / etc (I hate web-dev), with MSDN and all that fun stuff. Haven't done c++ in a few years, but I'll still give it a go.

For the record, I have an Odyssey (what, I've got 5 kids, leave me alone :) ), and that nag screen irritates the crap out of me. Besides, I'd like to see what else I can mod on it....

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I'm a web dev. What do you hate about it? The fact that there are 8 billion kinds of browsers, devices, and OSes that you have to make things work on? Yeah... that's enough for me...lol.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts