Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at, reading about, and visiting web sites like this one trying to make a decision about buying a new CR-Z. My problem is I own a 93 Miata that I've had for many years and it's almost become a part of me. Should I give it up for a new Z? Or...keep it for many more years.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Depends on your financial situation, your love for the Miata, willingness to give it up. Ever thought of keeping it, and getting a CRZ? Do you want a car payment and more expensive insurance? All things to consider in my car purchasing decision. I personally let go a 370z nismo for the CRZ. Haven't even thought of the car since honestly. If it were me, I would try to own both as a first avenue, if thats not possible wait maybe a year, see what happens and then go from there. Just a lot of late night rambling from a guy who seems to buy a car every year, and plan on keeping it forever. Then ends up selling it within months. I always come back to Honda and I always keep the Honda's longer.

I have actually kept my 2009 Honda Fit longer then my s2000, 370z, Civic Si. For the more fun practical application in life. I sold my s2000 for the Fit. I never looked back there either. The CRZ is just that a great reliable car that is fun to drive every day of the week, without feeling bad about it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
One thing you may want to consider is the safety aspect, as cars have come a long, long way since 1993 in that regard and hitting a new car in an old car is bad news. There are plenty of older cars that I'd love to own, but I keep remembering a particular feature on the Fifth Gear TV show where they crashed a 1995 Renault Espace into a 2005 one. Both cars scored five stars in the Euro NCAP crash tests, but because the 2005 car was so much stiffer and stronger it caused the older car to deform badly and probably would've killed the driver at least. The '05 car didn't even feel the need to deploy its airbags.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, MD & Kenny for your reply. Safety has always been an issue with the Miata but driving it is a pleasure on twisty roads and an unpleasant experience on the freeways. So I'm more or less divided but I'm leaning more for buying the CR-Z and selling the Miata in the spring. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
If one thing you think youll miss about the Miata is the driving experience I would recomend you test drive a CRZ. In my opinion it handles pretty well stock but more importantly i can tell that it will be an extremely competent car (for the street at least) with light suspension mods. I know the Miatas are revered for handling so you may feel differently. Only way to know is to drive it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'd say keep the Miata and get a CR-Z. I'm assuming the Miata is paid for. And it should be sorted out. Insure it as a low mileage recreation vehicle. That way you still have a tossable little car for the nice days to drop the top.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was looking at used Porsche 911 1979-1989's for about 15-20K..really nice cars ..but when I did my analysis and calculations it wasn't even close... you have a 30 yr old car on one hand a very nice car indeed but maintenance will be a concern at 30 yrs the used Porsche will be about 2k a yr to maintain minimum and if the engine comes out due a serious leak or break down at least another 3-5K since they do remove the engine for serious problems in fact it's not unusual at all to spend 5K in a year for a 911 Carrera or SC in maintenance for those year cars vs. a new car with no maintenance and I took the 8 yr and 100k miles extended warr so all parts labor etc... also a 30 yr Porsche may have exterior problems paint chips dents leather problem even tune ups as opposed to a car with little to no maintenance no ext problems that are not covered and a very comfortable interior with state of the art technology found in no other car right now .. my advice if you love the miata keep it..I don't believe its that much value on a trade in or resale so possibly keep it ..? then purchase the CRZ you won't be disappointed .. if you need to sell the Miata to purchase the CRZ maybe wait a while longer and save more money ..but be assured the prices for the CRZ will NOT stay at this level once this veh really catches on which is NOT the case today IMO...buying it now or later and keeping your current veh or not is really based on motivation and finances..and whatever you decide good luck in your decision......if the Miata is running good you still enjoy it and it's costing you nothing to maintain then why get a new car at all ? If you can afford it buy the CRZ now because later it wil be more money..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've owned both a 1971 Porsche 911T and a 2005 Mazda Miata. The CRZ I now have is the equal if not better than both of those cars. May not be as "stylish" in a classic way, but performs very similarly, handles similarly, and freeway driving is more comfortable. In my city, pickups and 4X4's outnumber sedans, and I feel better being tailgated by one of them in the CRZ than in the Miata or the 911. Last time I filled up the CRZ, I got 32 miles per gallon (city driving) - the best ever in the 911 was 32 MPG between Amarillo and Albequerque, and 31 MPG between Bakersfield and Las Vegas and back in the Miata.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.