Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi i was curious to know what the engine code was for the various markets... if someone could look in their engine bay for the code, that would be great...

i thought of this b/c of the differences of this thread on the CVT "gear" ratios http://www.crzforum.com/forum/transmission-discussion/1960-gear-ratios-cvt.html ... the JDM CVT is different from the USDM CVT... i also read before that the code was "LEA" in this thread i posted a while ago http://www.crzforum.com/forum/honda-cr-z-news-rumours-updates/503-cr-z-technical-info.html

i know the USDM model is "LEA1" as pictured below from when i went for a test drive... and i assume the CDM model is the same as the USDM model... what is the code on the EDM and JDM models??

in case anyone was curious, it seems every market uses the same IMA system...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Mine reads LEA1 too as a USDM.
There are some slightly differences on official spec. between US, UK and JP web site.
US: max horsepower @ 6000 rpm. max torque @ 1000-1750rpm (6MT)
EU: max horsepower @ 6100rpm. max torque @ 1000-1500rpm
JP: max horsepower @ 6000rpm. max torque @ 1000-1500rpm (6MT)

The torque range on US model is where it gets interesting.

BTW, I remember I've read someone on this forum said that there is minor difference between CARP CR-Z and non-CARP CR-Z. But he didn't say what it is.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I should be able to sort something out tomorrow - where on the actual engine is the number/code? (I got the model code from my V5 registration document when I responded above).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I wonder if JP, EU and US CR-Z has the same rev limit at 6500rpm. I was watching Best Motoring and I had noticed that they could rev to a little bit beyond 6500rpm like ~6600-6700 rpm. It's possible that they get the pre-production or it's just a video angle thing.
EU and JP owners, what's your rev limit?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
thanks for sharing the pictures :thumbsup:

it appears that EDM gets screwed right along with the USDM in getting the watered down version of the CR-Z :angry:

JDM gets the "LEA" while the USDM/EDM get the "LEA1" different engine codes usually mean that, while it's the same engine some parts of it is different...

since i don't know the facts on the LEA engine just yet, the best thing i can do is a comparison the Honda K20 engine... it's basically how the USDM NEVER saw a K20A... we got plenty variants of it in the forms of: K20A2, K20A3, K20Z1, K20Z3, K20Z4 (EDM), etc... but we never get the K20A which is the most powerful of the K20-engines... let me put it this way... the K20A is rated at 240hp/159tq (Mugen Civic Type-R) while the most powerful K20 we got was the K20Z1 (Acura RSX-S) rated at 210hp/143tq... it's the same engine but the JDM version got better cams/higher comp ratio/intake manifold/ported head/etc... it's basically a more refined/tuned version of the K20...

i think it's safe to assume that since there is a definite difference in the engine codes for the CR-Z and a definite gear ratio difference on the transmissions (CVT confirmed)... we can all agree that the JDM CR-Z is probably a bit "Sportier" and more finely tuned than the EDM/USDM CR-Z :sadwavey:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
thanks for sharing the pictures :thumbsup:

it appears that EDM gets screwed right along with the USDM in getting the watered down version of the CR-Z :angry:

JDM gets the "LEA" while the USDM/EDM get the "LEA1" different engine codes usually mean that, while it's the same engine some parts of it is different...

since i don't know the facts on the LEA engine just yet, the best thing i can do is a comparison the Honda K20 engine... it's basically how the USDM NEVER saw a K20A... we got plenty variants of it in the forms of: K20A2, K20A3, K20Z1, K20Z3, K20Z4 (EDM), etc... but we never get the K20A which is the most powerful of the K20-engines... let me put it this way... the K20A is rated at 240hp/159tq (Mugen Civic Type-R) while the most powerful K20 we got was the K20Z1 (Acura RSX-S) rated at 210hp/143tq... it's the same engine but the JDM version got better cams/higher comp ratio/intake manifold/ported head/etc... it's basically a more refined/tuned version of the K20...

i think it's safe to assume that since there is a definite difference in the engine codes for the CR-Z and a definite gear ratio difference on the transmissions (CVT confirmed)... we can all agree that the JDM CR-Z is probably a bit "Sportier" and more finely tuned than the EDM/USDM CR-Z :sadwavey:
while i agree with you, you are comparing a type r motor to a non type r. the b series was the same way. a b16 from a civic type r was not as built as a b16 from a si. i bet the differences in the lea to the lea1 are minuscule.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
while i agree with you that they are not both Type-R's... THAT IS THE POINT!! we don't get Type-R here... the best we get/got was the RSX-S which, like i said above got 210hp... that motor had the previous Type-R cams but lacked the pistons/valve train/intake manifold/etc to make it a better engine... the Type-S and Si's ARE our version of the Type-R... so that comparison is actually even...

if you want me to do a direct comparison to the Civic alone (non-R) then they get a R20 engine while we get an R18... so that's an even further comparison than the K20 comp...

now you could've said the fact that i used the Mugen Type-R K20A vs the regular Type-R, i could agree that it's closer in comparison... but i wanted to compare the best they have vs the best we got... if you really want to get technical Japan also got a K22 which was the K20 with higher displacement... that engine produced 260hp N/A and was only in the Mugen RR (only 300 made)...

i do agree the differences aren't going to be much... in fact that's what i said originally... but just the fact that they are different was the point of my argument and i used extremes to exemplify that...

·
Registered
232 Posts
With weapons (guns, vehicles, etc) the addition of suffixes to a model number usually denotes an advancement or improvement. Take 1911 vs. 1911A1 or M1 Abrams vs an M1A1 or M1A2 as examples. I'm not saying that is the case with Honda engines, but you might be premature in assuming that just because our code has an additional 1 means that we automatically must have a watered-down or lesser engine.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i agree... i just look at Honda history and generally when they have an engine with just the "A" on it and no number, that usually means that engine is better than the other markets engine...

my assumption comes from not just that... but the FACT that the JDM CVT has a "sportier" gear ratio than the USDM CR-Z... that indicates to me that the JDM engine is also tuned/refined slightly sportier...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
With weapons (guns, vehicles, etc) the addition of suffixes to a model number usually denotes an advancement or improvement. Take 1911 vs. 1911A1 or M1 Abrams vs an M1A1 or M1A2 as examples. I'm not saying that is the case with Honda engines, but you might be premature in assuming that just because our code has an additional 1 means that we automatically must have a watered-down or lesser engine.
I agree with this. And if it is watered down, I'm sure we'll be able to get the non watered down parts. Whether or not you install them is your disicion.

Once these parts are available on the aftermarket, I'll take a serious look at them and do my research. But I won't be doing anything major until my warranty is up. I/E/Tune is all i have planned for the mean time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.