Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Max altitude 12,183.00 feet with over eight miles above 11,000 ft.... Snow on the ground already... they have been plowing. Up to 7% grades in some areas, and lots of pretty country and lots of FUN curves and switchbacks.

The full loop I did is from Denver up 36 to Estes Park, and then into Rocky Mountain National Park for Trail Ridge Rd, and then down to Grand Lake, through Winter Park to I-70 and then back to Denver. I have pictures and will post them later.

The Z handled it well.... I did run out of battery finally on the extended uphill grades, but a simple downshift or two gave me all of the power I needed to keep going. My girlfriend even commented about how well it accelarated uphill. I probably pissed off :angry: some of the slowpokes passing them where it was legal, although some were nice enough to pull over and let me by.

Got great mileage on the downhill side of things... it was showing over 60mpg then. Of course while climbing the up side, and accelerating hard coming out of the curves.. it kind of killed MPG on that side.:rolleyes:

I love the way this thing handles... I was taking some curves and hairpins at a "bit" over their "suggested" speed. The car tracks.. no slide.. no squeal... (NO.. the tires are not stock!:blush:), not enough body roll to be concerned about.... for a basically stock vehicle, it is unbelievable. MUCHO FUN!:thumbsup:

I hit one 270 degree downhill switchback at around at nearly triple the posted rate... and the Z handled it fine... I maintained speed through it.. and then had to back off a little, as the girlfriend was turning a little green :cry:

Will get some picture up later.....

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics of the Trail road trip I did today.....

Check out that cool CRZ forum decal! :thumbsup:

You can see where they have been plowing the snow in this pic. The Sticks are there to judge snow levels... I am told that sometimes you can't see the sticks at all during the winter.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looks beautiful, though I gotta admit mountain driving isn't my favorite! Steep grades, whether up or down, wear on me after a while. Switchbacks aren't my friend-- driving or hiking!!! :eek: Of course, that's not much of a problem in my part of Maryland! We're more ridge and valley geography around here. Oodles of streams, which does translate into many twisty-turny roads that can be a lot of fun.

Wifey and I did our own road trip up into "the country" of Carroll County (well, not so countryish any more!), taking the main (and crowded) roads to our destination, but using a lot of narrow and fairly scenic back roads coming home. Fall colors kicking in around here, and it was a nice ride. It's great to look forward to road trips, or just take one for the fun of it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks beautiful, though I gotta admit mountain driving isn't my favorite! Steep grades, whether up or down, wear on me after a while. Switchbacks aren't my friend-- driving or hiking!!! :eek: Of course, that's not much of a problem in my part of Maryland! We're more ridge and valley geography around here. Oodles of streams, which does translate into many twisty-turny roads that can be a lot of fun.

Wifey and I did our own road trip up into "the country" of Carroll County (well, not so countryish any more!), taking the main (and crowded) roads to our destination, but using a lot of narrow and fairly scenic back roads coming home. Fall colors kicking in around here, and it was a nice ride. It's great to look forward to road trips, or just take one for the fun of it! :thumbsup:
Got Pictures??? Lets see 'em!:thumbsup: and yea... switchbacks with a 40 lb pack kill me! But it's worth it when I finally get where I am going....:sleep::sleep::sleep:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Last time I was on that road I was freaking out! I've got some height issues.. But I'm thinking it might not be as bad in this little car, as the big beast I was driving last time I was there. If only there wasn't a 16 hour drive for me to get to the mountains!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last time I was on that road I was freaking out! I've got some height issues.. But I'm thinking it might not be as bad in this little car, as the big beast I was driving last time I was there. If only there wasn't a 16 hour drive for me to get to the mountains!
I understand. I don't have any fear of heights. But my girlfriend does, although not as bad as it was. When I met her, she had trouble getting on a stepladder. We have worked at it.. and now she can even do some easy climbing. She cant look at the right off the passenger side edge of the road drop-offs on Trail Ridge though... they still mess with her (but hey, that is a LONG way down!):blink:

Some climbing pics:

Loni on Mt. Democrat scree field

Loni nearing peak of Mt. Elbert

Loni on Horsetooth climb

Me somewhere.. I think it might have been Horsetooth

·
Registered
886 Posts
WOW! Those pics.. You're up high.
And yeah, your girlfriend has obviously made some progress!

My last mountain climb was in Washington stage. They Olympics. In that case we found a trail that started on TOP of the mountain. Lead down to a beautiful lake. We decided it would be a great idea to hike to the lake.
It was.. on the way down. Coming back was a nightmare. I'm not in particularly bad shape, but not good shape either. Well, long story short, the hike up was a bit outside my skill and fitness level, but I had to do it anyway.
I guess it was a growing experience.. as a hernia grew outside my pelvis wall! heh.. live and learn...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Wicked,

Yea, Democrat and Elbert are both 14'er's... Fun!

Nature is beautiful and demanding! Sounds like you had fun though! Getting in shape is the hardest part... and so easy to lose, if you just goof off a bit!

I like to hike so far back in the mountains that I seldom see anyone for a week or so. I have been lucky to be able to do that. Have lots of wonderful memories, and looking forward to making more.

I have always wanted to hike the Olympics.. I used to live in Florida, and when I left I was headed for Washington State, for a total change! Never made it that far though... got "stuck" in Colorado!:blush:! Washington is so beautiful based on the pics I have seen... so many shades of green!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like you had a blast.

Are those 16 or 17" diameter wheels? What tires? Looks good!
17x7 MB Weapons (Bronze) from Discount Tire (rebadged Japanese A-Techs)

Tires are Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow) 225/45's All Seasons.

Tires are awesome! Inspire a LOT of confidence!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I understand. I don't have any fear of heights. But my girlfriend does, although not as bad as it was. When I met her, she had trouble getting on a stepladder. We have worked at it.. and now she can even do some easy climbing. She cant look at the right off the passenger side edge of the road drop-offs on Trail Ridge though... they still mess with her (but hey, that is a LONG way down!):blink:

Some climbing pics:

Loni on Mt. Democrat scree field

Loni nearing peak of Mt. Elbert

Loni on Horsetooth climb

Me somewhere.. I think it might have been Horsetooth
Motherofgod.jpg

I can only wish I lived near mountains. That's just beautiful and I can't even comprehend what driving on a mountain is like. Looks like it's a freaking BLAST!!!:thumbsup:

17x7 MB Weapons (Bronze) from Discount Tire (rebadged Japanese A-Techs)

Tires are Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Dry, Wet, Snow) 225/45's All Seasons.

Tires are awesome! Inspire a LOT of confidence!
Thanks. Those are bronze? I gotta take another look, I thought they were gunmetal. They look good, anyway you slice it. Love the look!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Come on over, when you get back from Me'heeco! :thumbsup:
Oh man, I'd love to. And may actually take you up on it. I'm not staying in Houston forever. And when I move, it's either to Oregon or Colorado.

I'll be looking for real estate (developed, but not built) within the next year, year and a half. I need at least 10 acres. I'm gonna put a house, 3 car garage with lift(s), glass shop and wood shop. In the middle of my plot.

I might need a couch to crash on during that escapade. ;) J/k

But when I'm in CO I'll definitely hit you up. We can go for drinks or something.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.