Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Yes or depending on your needs, one of @PeterPerkins custom devices. You could buy a brand-new laptop, but most of these clones need Windows 7. Or you can buy a real HDS for several K and a several hundred a year subscription if Honda will even let you buy one.

You do not have to Do Anything!

So I have to buy a used lappy and some hopefully non iffy software from China?

·
IMA Enthusiast
1,398 Posts
I have only ever used a laptop with an HDS clone for my Honda work so can't comment on any other devices.

I generally use a cheap netbook running Windows 7 as the host.

An HDS clone can do 99% of everything a Honda dealer can do, not many other tools can say that.

You can but the whole kit including a cheap laptop for <$200.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Are there any online or PDF instruction manuals or "how to" guides for the HDS?
🙂
There's u-toobs videos of various uses of the HDS clones. Generally found by searching for the trouble code. From what I've seen of it it's pretty straightforward with the HDS menu and if you have the Factory Spaghetti Manual it explains what to do with the HDS for each troubleshoot. For example replacing PCM/ECU you have to program the key and write the VIN and there's sections for these in HDS menu.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I downloaded what I presume is this factory speghetti manual you speak of awhile ago. Now hereby dubbed the FSM in my drive. Lol.

Okay, that's good to hear it's pretty straight forward. I haven't messed with it yet. Still need to install the Win7.iso on another partition to dedicate for auto diag use.

I got it mainly to reset SRS. They lights have all still been tripped since swapping passenger seats with another cR-Z.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Has anyone been able to use a newer operating system with one of these HDS clones or similar?

AFAIK It just allows you to program it, no connection to the "mothership" or Internet should be needed. Just entering the codes, or it is discovering the codes like registering an application on a computer, or blue tooth pairing. It is essentially a password, or it would be useless for security. It is seeding the process. But I have not looked deep into it.
Does the key and ECU programming work with the HDS clones? The hacked versions do not contact the mother ship which I believe is necessary for those operations.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Does the key and ECU programming work with the HDS clones? The hacked versions do not contact the mother ship which I believe is necessary for those operations.
I've seen a couple videos of people doing that and also writing the VIN onto the ECU. It was a primary interest when looking into them when my ECU needed to be replaced but I never got around to getting the HDSclone to do it myself since the car needed to be smogged to renew registration.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
111 Posts
I ended up buying the Foxwell Honda specific model. I haven't tried it out yet as I've only just got the zed on the road again.

I would like to tell everyone of the excellent custom service from Autel though. I had a return in with Amazon but I was sans voiture, I contacted Autel customer support to say I haven't been able to get to UPS. I explained that their unit was very good but I needed a vehicle specific scan tool. They offered to refund my money and keep the Autel unit as a gift. I replied that it wasn't necessary, I'd return the unit as soon as I had the car back on the road. They insisted on the refund and me keeping it.

I've never dealt with a customer service from a company like that. (y)

101 - 115 of 115 Posts