Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently was involved in an accident that caused my airbag to go off as well as damage to the frame of my vehicle. My insurance company is now taking the car to the lot as a salvage title. BUT, I recently put in an order with RexxStyling for a body kit and fenders I no longer need at all. Is anyone LOOKING or know anyone looking to purchase a body kit ???? I’m currently stuck with no car and I’m out 3,500 dollars. Plz plz plz I desperately need the help.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
You could not fight the insurance company to have them repair the car to the condition it was in prior to the accident? Did you have collision coverage? Or could the insurance company find you a replacement CR-Z?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could not fight the insurance company to have them repair the car to the condition it was in prior to the accident? Did you have collision coverage? Or could the insurance company find you a replacement CR-Z?
Nope, They’re not budging on it not being a total loss. They are only willing to provide me with what they think the car is worth. Which is only about 3k due to the car having a couple under the hood issues. That’s no where near enough for me to go get the car out the lot and repair it.... I’m only 20 I work a simple 9-5 I invested so much hard earned money into buying this body kit and the company is not going to provide me with a refund even though the products are not even shipped nor finished being produced. I’m just stressed out trying to find a buyer for the body kit because I’m in the hole right now big time.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
You bought a Body Kit for a car that had mechanical issues and you are under employed. Sorry to hear of your troubles but I have been unemployed since 04/01/2020 was terminated due to a Reduction In Force caused by the pandemic. Now I am struggling to just make rent food etc. I am glad my car is paid for. Good luck but I doubt without legal assistance with the insurance company or someone who wants that kit will help you. If it were me I would fight the insurance company since the car was in working condition prior to the accident and you can show them what you paid for it and what a comparable car in the same condition would cost. They are required to return the car to pre-accident condition or replace it if not repairable. Pay a Lawyer. Or they should pay you the real value of the car.

·
Premium Member
5,930 Posts
I can link this thread to a CR-Z facebook page, and see if anyone is interested:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Man... I hope you can sell that kit - just be ready to not get full retail... everybody is cash-strapped right now.

What all components are included? Do you have a link to the kit you ordered?

You could not fight the insurance company to have them repair the car to the condition it was in prior to the accident?
I think that's only a thing in Virginia. Kinda cool that you have the option to tell your insurance that you want a comparable car instead of a check when your car gets totalled out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea Unfortunately my insurance doesn’t provide that option.... I’m really hoping this company is empathetic enough to understand I don’t have that much money to just toss in the air.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
I believe that is US law not just VA but you have to ask and you have to escalate. At minimum you should be able to get what the car NADA value is when you honestly assess it. The comparable car is also used to set the value of your car. When I have had accidents I always had to fight with the adjusters to have OEM parts installed and all items on car returned to pre-accident condition. I have been lucky because I have never had an insurance company push to total my car.

Man... I hope you can sell that kit - just be ready to not get full retail... everybody is cash-strapped right now.

What all components are included? Do you have a link to the kit you ordered?

I think that's only a thing in Virginia. Kinda cool that you have the option to tell your insurance that you want a comparable car instead of a check when your car gets totalled out.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
@x-cruciate you should never accept the first offer from the insurance company unless it is more money than you expected. friend got rear-ended and they gave her $1200 more than she paid for the car 4y ago... she laughed the whole way to the dealer and bought a nicer car than what she had.
I believe that is US law not just VA but you have to ask and you have to escalate. At minimum you should be able to get what the car NADA value is when you honestly assess it. The comparable car is also used to set the value of your car. When I have had accidents I always had to fight with the adjusters to have OEM parts installed and all items on car returned to pre-accident condition. I have been lucky because I have never had an insurance company push to total my car.
NADA retail value should be what you get for the car, since that is roughly the cost of getting one in comparable condition. You usually have to fight a bit to get them to not use absurd comps (base model comps for a wrecked EX, or trashed 200k mile smokers' cars as comps for a pristine low mileage wrecked one)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've totaled vehicles before. Taking the car to salvage has always been optional for me. Of course I've never said no. Who wants a totaled car in the driveway? But you can use that time t remove the kit and put it up for sale in the forum.

You would get the insurance payout and eventually someone could buy it. It actually looks really sick IMO from the side. GL!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At this point I’m not worried about them taking the car, I will be getting a decent amount back for the car now after some back and forth. I’m only 20 so it’s a learning experience. My only issue now is getting a refund for a body kit that isn’t even done being made. The company has no refund policy on the invoice or their site but they are refusing to issue one. They even went as far to say “ we’ll help you resale “ which makes 0 sense to me but correct me if I’m wrong. Why couldn’t they just refund me and sell the kit to someone else? I’m not even finished paying for the entire order.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just hoping I can get my deposit back on the fenders because I just made that payment the other day. As far as the body kit I guess I’ll have to find someone who wants it. Gonna lose out out big.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Insurance company is still totaling it? They will not repair it? Just make sure the amount they are paying you is close to what the value was prior to the accident.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes they are still totaling it, it’s getting picked up tomorrow. Yes they are paying me out a fair price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the insurance company is paying you a fair price AND you've purchased the non-refundable body kit for your CR-Z, why not just buy another CR-Z with your insurance refund? That way your body kit will fit

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the insurance company is paying you a fair price AND you've purchased the non-refundable body kit for your CR-Z, why not just buy another CR-Z with your insurance refund? That way your body kit will fit
This!

Without knowing the actual extent of the damage done to the car, it's hard to advise rebuying it and fixing it up. That takes money and skills as well as time and space.

As you've found, you can dicker with the insurance company and have them show examples of where you can replace the car with what they're getting you. FYI for next time, NEVER disclose flaws to them (never tell them "It's pretty good but it has a miss at high rpm and 4th kinda grinds"). Let them walk around and do their own visual assessment on the damage.

The body kit is probably made to order, they buy materials to make it, then do so after you order it. If they refund it because of what happened in your life, they're out the cost of what they've spent so far. That being said, if they haven't started construction, you can always ask for a partial refund minus materials that aren't transferable to the next job (though they don't have to give it). Ultimately, you're at the mercy of the contract or purchase agreement when you bought it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts