Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had Mr Zed for a couple of days. I've been running it in normal mode for most of the time. Today I had to take my son to Dulles airport and the traffic in VA was terrible. In the traffic I dropped it to eco. Did it do much? I have no idea.

The one thing I'm trying to get used to with Mr Zed is the steering is very light and quick to react. I'm used to driving a heavier suv with slower steering. I read that the steering tightens up in sport mode so it might be more to my liking. With that said, I just wondered if anyone here uses sport all the time? The sport mode to me (afaik) will run in each gear to the redline and then change gear unless you use the paddles. On rental cars I've had, the s mode just makes for longer runs in the rev range but not to the redline.

TBQH, I'm not all that bothered about fuel economy. Mr Zed is miles better than my suzy gv so if I lose a few mpg using sport mode all the time it wouldn't bother me.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
112 Posts
The owners manual goes into pretty good depth about sport mode and what it changes, iirc.
Nevermind, it just has marketing words. The FSM has more details though.

On mine (2014) it changes steering assist, throttle response, gear ratio selection, IMA assist amount, and engine braking.
If you have a CVT it allows you to control the CVT ratios with the paddle shifters permanently. In normal/ECO it only temporarily allows you to select gear ratio.
Holding right paddle shifter, or pressing sport again; will put you back into auto.
Yeah it will auto upshift for you at redline. Something i wish it didn't, tbh.

I find myself instantly putting it in sport mode every morning. I will use the paddle shifters and stay in the highest ratio possible when cruising. The manual states there is a ghost "8th gear" which it will drop into when driving on the freeway, but i've never seen it do this.
I only get 29MPG on a good day so you can probably guess my driving habits.

Also cool tip, holding both paddles on the CVT model for like 7 seconds will put the car in 'L', low range.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
...The manual states there is a ghost "8th gear" which it will drop into when driving on the freeway, but i've never seen it do this.
The ghost 8th gear might be the difference between running in SPORT mode (in 7th) and then pressing NORM or ECON, which drops the revs....
Oh, I always press the SPORT mode button at start up; might touch the other modes briefly, just to see if they still work. :)

·
Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
112 Posts
The ghost 8th gear might be the difference between running in SPORT mode (in 7th) and then pressing NORM or ECON, which drops the revs....
I dunno it says this under the "manual shift mode" and says the 7 stays there.
But you might be right, it doesn't say anything about sport mode.
Rectangle Font Circle Writing Number

Reactions: litz

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit confused by the "if you have a CVT" bit. I thought all automatic Zeds were a cvt??

·
Registered
114 Posts
🙋‍♂️, Yep all the time. I have a 6 speed MT and average in the UK 52 mpg which i think is about US 43.3 mpg.
I prefer the weight of the steering in this mode and feel of the accelerator pedal also.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Oh, I always press the SPORT mode button at start up; might touch the other modes briefly, just to see if they still work. :)
If you tape the button down does it remain in sport?

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
If you tape the button down does it remain in sport?
Haha...give 'er a try, but it'll probably just switch back to NORM the next key cycle. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've only had Mr Zed for a couple of days. I've been running it in normal mode for most of the time. Today I had to take my son to Dulles airport and the traffic in VA was terrible. In the traffic I dropped it to eco. Did it do much? I have no idea.

The one thing I'm trying to get used to with Mr Zed is the steering is very light and quick to react. I'm used to driving a heavier suv with slower steering. I read that the steering tightens up in sport mode so it might be more to my liking. With that said, I just wondered if anyone here uses sport all the time? The sport mode to me (afaik) will run in each gear to the redline and then change gear unless you use the paddles. On rental cars I've had, the s mode just makes for longer runs in the rev range but not to the redline.

TBQH, I'm not all that bothered about fuel economy. Mr Zed is miles better than my suzy gv so if I lose a few mpg using sport mode all the time it wouldn't bother me.
I run in Sport mode all the time. Especially when the temp outside is over 90 degrees. I've found the AC works better when I do this. I've also noticed that my battery shows a full charge unlike Nornal mode, where my battery meter is 2 lines short of fully charged.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I need to grab the manual and read up on things. I've just noticed the past couple of days that I have a blue light bottom left side of the display that shows a thermometer graphic with C next to it. It doesn't stay on long so I'm not sure if it's telling my I'm low on coolant of the car is cold?

I do find it odd that a car with all these gizmos, that there is no water temp or oil pressure or voltage meters.

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
I need to grab the manual and read up on things. I've just noticed the past couple of days that I have a blue light bottom left side of the display that shows a thermometer graphic with C next to it. It doesn't stay on long so I'm not sure if it's telling my I'm low on coolant of the car is cold?

I do find it odd that a car with all these gizmos, that there is no water temp or oil pressure or voltage meters.
You're good. It's just on because your coolant temp is under 100° F (or about that....)

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
Normal behavior. if in the US and you are missing the manual or want to read online, you can access it online here Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

You can buy a replacement for all the glove compartment books here :

If you want a factory service manual for 2011-12, that is also available from them here

For some missing gauges, I installed on mine » ScanGauge II I get water temp, and voltage of the ones you mentioned not oil pressure or temp. Others have many threads on many gauge solutions. This plugs into the ODB II port and is hardwired and programmable for other gauges.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts