Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, There's a dent/crease along the top of my hatch. On the metal above the glass, there's a line that goes about 1/2 way across the hatch. It's subtle, and really can only be seen when you look at the reflections off the car.
There's no way I could have done this. Also, either I'm just noticing it more each time I see the car, or maybe it's getting worse..
Could they have tried to repair a dent that occurred in shipping or something, and now it's pulling itself back in?

I've had the car about a month. Do you think there's any chance the dealer will believe I didn't do it, and fix it?!?
the PDI form of course has everything checked as being in perfect shape when they received it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I've attached a pic.

And, I went to the dealer today. He seemed a little reluctant to fix it, which I don't blame him.. It's been off his lot for weeks. But, he's going to! I explained I was never a car person before this car, and wouldn't notice things like that.. But since I've had this car I've gotten into detailing and am noticing every little thing.
The manager came out and looked at it, said, "well, i usually wouldn't do this, but we'll take care of it for you" :D :D :D

-and actually on the resized photo, you can really only make out the one on the far right.. They're barely there.. but they are!

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know.. even the body shop guy didn't see it at first. But he ran his hand over the car, and said, "Oh yeah.. I do feel that". In the pics it's just a tiny tiny bit darker where it dents in a little. I can see it, but I know exactly what I'm looking at.
I think that's what convinced the manager to OK the repair, too. It is something that could easily be missed in the excitement of looking at the new vehicle as a whole.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think any skilled dent/ding remover could press those out.

FWIW, my CR-Z that I ordered came with a 1" scratch on the instrument cluster lens. I caught it on delivery and the dealer took care of it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMG, the dents are coming back!! (maybe I didn't post it, but they did 'fix' it a couple of months ago)

Anyone know much about PDR? Will I have to have it done again, or will it fix itself when the weather is warmer? (and if thats the case, should I have PDR done on the coldest possible day?)
this sucks! now I'm sure, something went wrong w/ my car before I got it.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Paintless Dent Removal. They drill a small hole on the inside and push the metal back out. Since the paint is not cracked then It makes sense to try and PDR your hatch. They place a cap over where they drill a small hole which is not a big deal. If they replace your hatch try and get some documentation for the future, otherwise it could hurt the value of your car not having the original vin sticker on the trunk.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PDR is what was done.. But it's coming back.
And this probably confirms that the car had no dent when I got it because PDR had been done before I purchased the car. Then the dent re-formed. And now it's doing the same thing. (maybe because of the cold? ~65 degree(f) difference between then and now)
It's a very long dent, probably originally quite deep. If I had to guess, I'd say a strap was latched across the car, as the entire drivers side above the door to the middle of the car is dented in a long line (see the pic I posted above).

I know a guy who does PDR, not affiliated w/ the honda dealer. Maybe I should have him do it.. Might use a different technique or something.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't see any reason why you should fix this at your own cost, plus, no matter how neat & tidy it might be, I wouldn't want holes drilled in my new car for PDR!
As the dealer has set a precedent by fixing it once, I'd be taking it back to them.
I'm wondering if the original damage has permanently weakened some part of the structure and, as it's near the hinge, the stresses in the tailgate mean it will always come back? If it were me, I'd push for a new tailgate.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yea, use the fact that the dealership gave in and fixed it the first time to make them fix it again. If it were me I would probably guilt them into doing it saying they didn't fix it right the first time.

·
Original Member Since 2010
104 Posts
Do you have cats where you live.....something or someone is probably doing that....also check for rocks etc. under the hatch. Maybe the back hatch needs to aligned, a bump in the road could be causing the dent because the hatch is missaligned.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's parked in a sealed garage every night.. I only drive it about 3 or 4 days a week.. It never leaves my sight..
nothing could have re-made these exact same dents along this exact same line.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is this theory taught in Materials Science called yield strength.

Once the metal lattice has exceeded this characteristic, it never returns to where it was.

You have a damaged car that will remain that way until those parts are replaced.
PDR will not remove the crease.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is this theory taught in Materials Science called yield strength.

Once the metal lattice has exceeded this characteristic, it never returns to where it was.

You have a damaged car that will remain that way until those parts are replaced.
PDR will not remove the crease.
Totally agree, no matter how much someone tries to "fix" it, it will forever be damaged!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Doubtful. Honda wouldn't repair dents. They use "dent wizard" and other companies such as your friend. I would allow Honda to attempt to fix it again and keep them liable. That way you can get the hatch replaced if the repairs don't work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.