Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking through the settings menu last night and found that I can default the car to Econ on start-up. Now I don't have to worry about useless Normal mode any more since I run the car primarily in Econ for now and at times in Sport when I get bored.

Haven't seen many mentions of this setting on the forum - maybe because people hate Econ mode with passion for some reason.

Anyone has their cars default to Econ besides me?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
it's in the manual and i already posted the procedure in the past. it's in custom settings. search for "hold econ" and change the setting to "yes". hold econ is in the first cluster of settings (of the four clusters).

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yes, I set mine that way the second day I had it once I figured out that it wouldn't stay in ECON after I turned the car off.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm yet to play extensively with Sport mode - it's going to be a treat after a couple of tanks of Econ.

Half way through the second tank (this tank average is 43.6 so far) and it's addictive with all those EcoAssist gadgets. Current tank is a good representation of my normal driving activities and if I can get 400+ miles out of a 10 gallon tank - I'm pretty stoked.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine is currently locked into econ for one tank of gas. Just had a few weeks driving in Sport the entire tank. Still came in with 33.9 mpg with a whole lot of 6500 rpm shown on the tach. Also had several high speed runs uphill which surprised the heck out of me.

Econ is killing me but I have to know how much of a difference it really makes. My wife calls it old man mode. Worse thing is that if it actually does increase my mileage I'll be driving this tank for another month this way!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't mind the Econ at all once I realized that if you are rather deliberate with the gas pedal you get max assist input on launches and up hill runs and still get 40+ average. It's not that painful, even after a weekend in the Elise doing 8500rpm runs.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm yet to play extensively with Sport mode - it's going to be a treat after a couple of tanks of Econ.

Half way through the second tank (this tank average is 43.6 so far) and it's addictive with all those EcoAssist gadgets. Current tank is a good representation of my normal driving activities and if I can get 400+ miles out of a 10 gallon tank - I'm pretty stoked.
you're in for a big surprise. i finally got into sport this weekend after driving conservatively for 2500+ miles. you will find sport just as addictive. not sure if you have manual or auto, but in auto it stays at the peak power band when romping it on a high speed pass. i went from 75-100 way faster than i expected, and she wanted to keep going. CVT is fascinating.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
6MT here. Glad the CVT keeps you happy - maybe one day I'll cross over to the dark side, too. I've played with Sport on test drives and made my passenger scream going through some twisties, so I know it's fun, but for now I want to see what I can squeeze out of the Econ. After a 400hp BMW, I don't think a quick 75-100 run will impress me, though, plus one of the reasons I downgraded to the CR-Z was to keep me out of 100mph trouble - those high-roller tickets get expensive.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
6MT here. Glad the CVT keeps you happy - maybe one day I'll cross over to the dark side, too. I've played with Sport on test drives and made my passenger scream going through some twisties, so I know it's fun, but for now I want to see what I can squeeze out of the Econ. After a 400hp BMW, I don't think a quick 75-100 run will impress me, though, plus one of the reasons I downgraded to the CR-Z was to keep me out of 100mph trouble - those high-roller tickets get expensive.
i came from a mustang with retarded power. what i found interesting about the CVT was that at high speed in sport mode it just stays right near red line and continues to accelerate hard in conjunction with the electric. a bit surprising for a baby motor/car.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
you're in for a big surprise. i finally got into sport this weekend after driving conservatively for 2500+ miles. you will find sport just as addictive. not sure if you have manual or auto, but in auto it stays at the peak power band when romping it on a high speed pass. i went from 75-100 way faster than i expected, and she wanted to keep going. CVT is fascinating.
After having a 07 Civic Hybrid in perpetual ECON mode. I am stuck in Sport with the Z. I..... Like it. Averaging about 34-36mpg max.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have to say Normal mode is useful for highways with a lot of curves and hills and heavy traffic. I did a lot better on gas mileage staying in Normal mode today vs. switching back and forth between Normal and Econ mode. Econ mode (IMO) is strictly for running around town.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have to say Normal mode is useful for highways with a lot of curves and hills and heavy traffic. I did a lot better on gas mileage staying in Normal mode today vs. switching back and forth between Normal and Econ mode. Econ mode (IMO) is strictly for running around town.
Ah, thinking your missing all the fun. Sport mode around town or on fun 2 lane roads and Econ or Norm on the highway.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sport default!! Need it!!

All though we bought this car because of the intention of it being a hybrid, I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE you can't DEFAULT the SPORT MODE.. VERY DISSAPOINTING!. ugh.:angry: There has to be a way to mode it to default it for sport.. HAS TO!:cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had mine defaulting to econ and I let my boyfriend drive it and gave him the privilege of driving it in sport. The next time I started it it was in normal, but once I pressed econ it went right back to defaulting to econ without going back into the settings menu.

Side note, sport mode is amazing! I waited 600 miles to try it on my cr-z (I slightly abused the cr-z I test drove) and after driving around in econ pretty exclusively I am thoroughly impressed. Huge difference. I even accidentally spun the tires because I wasn't expecting the responsiveness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.