Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

There's a Honda dealership in Baton Rouge that I've used in the past and was working with them on my possible purchase of a CR-Z.

I did some research on cars.com and found a North Shore Blue one a dealer in New Orleans.

Honda Baton Rouge told me that they found one (likely the same one I saw) and that they would be able to get it for me.

So I went for a drive down to New Orleans on Saturday, because I wanted to see the car in person (in case that this may be THE car I end up with).

Of course, I had no intention of buying from them, but I felt like I owed it to them to hear their case (it was the only CR-Z on the lot, and it was actually on the show room floor -- they had to physically drive it out of the building just for the test drive, so I felt a little guilty :pat:).

Anyway, the salesman let me take the car onto the interstate so I could really open her up. It really handled well. No surprises, since I've test driven before.

But when we got back and were wrapping up, the sales manager told me this was the ONLY blue within 10 hours of our location, so they wouldn't do a dealer trade.

Now, I never told them my intentions, but could this be a mind-game that they play, letting the customer know that they can't just test drive and go back to their favorite dealer and still get the car (like I was secretly doing :iough:)?

I plan to talk to my dealership next week and tell them the situation, but what do you guys think?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Dealers do tend to dislike trading rare combinations (blue / manual for example), but from what I was told, just waiting for the next shipment is only 2-3 weeks, so not that big of a deal and makes it easier to haggle.

Also, why didn't you just buy the car from NO dealer that you went to?

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
dealer trading vehicles looks bad when Honda looks for their numbers... basically it looks like THEY couldn't sell it but another dealer up the street could... it doesn't give Honda much incentive to give them more of the CR-Z's to sell...

take my local dealership... they originally got a silver EX-navi CVT and a black EX 6MT... they dealer traded the silver one and as far as i know, they still have the black EX 6MT... that makes about 2 full months with ONE car not being able to be sold by them... one salesman there told me b/c they traded the silver one and didn't sell it, they'll be lucky to get 1 more CR-Z for the rest of the year...

your dealer is gonna have to work some magic if they want dealer trade with them b/c it doesn't sound like they want to give that one up... it's probably drawn in some ppl that were looking to get a CR-Z but were convinced to get a Civic or Fit... so essentially they're selling cars indirectly b/c of the CR-Z they have...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Because they're pretty shady. I've read some bad reviews about them. I know the people at the Baton Rouge dealership.
My dad was a used car salesman.. and no, I didn't trust him either! Really!

Cant trust too many of them! Until you find one you can build a relationship with.. check out reviews.. friends... etc.... find a good one. And even then... watch yer back!:eek:mg: Sometimes it isn't the dealership.. it is the hungry sleazy slimy salespersons :angry:!

(disclaimer: This is not directed toward any particular individual.. and if there are any Automobile SalesPersons who are members here, just by being here it is obvious that you do not fit into any of the above categories! Especially if you are cute (and female!)! Thank You! :hi5:)

·
Registered
674 Posts
For a new car purchase I generally don't care about the shadiness of the salesguy / dealer - I'm the one holding the pen and the checkbook. If the total that I'm seeing is not what I want to pay - I don't pay. You can be the biggest, smelliest slimeball in the galaxy, but if your OTD price beats my "favorite" dealer by $300, you have my business. I feel no loyalty of this kind. Service departments and used car sales are a very different thing, though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Of course, I had no intention of buying from them, but I felt like I owed it to them to hear their case (it was the only CR-Z on the lot, and it was actually on the show room floor -- they had to physically drive it out of the building just for the test drive, so I felt a little guilty :pat:).
Your guilt is only justifiable only if you involved the help of a salesperson. In order to maintain a professional envoronment, most reputible dealers have switched over to an "up" system which means that instead of getting tackled when you walk in the door, the next available salesperson helps you. Often, particularly in this economy, the up with you will be the only one he or she gets, and selling a car is the only way we get paid. No salesperson can ask for a guarantee you will purchase from them, but if you meet with one with no intention of buying that's pretty lame (understatement).

As an aside (and I know this wasn't the purpose for your visit) if you want to shop the deal offered you by the manager of the floor salesperson who you originally spoke to, ask for an internet quote from other dealers. These quotes, while they may vary slightly from one dealership to another, and may be negotiable by a small sum, are very aggressive. This will allow you to get your best number without wasting a large sum of another floor salesperson's time (the internet guys click a button to send you a quote and it takes them no significant time).

Of course, if the original salesperson you dealt with was :thumbdown: feel free to just purchase at the other location without a ping of guilt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your guilt is only justifiable only if you involved the help of a salesperson. In order to maintain a professional envoronment, most reputible dealers have switched over to an "up" system which means that instead of getting tackled when you walk in the door, the next available salesperson helps you. Often, particularly in this economy, the up with you will be the only one he or she gets, and selling a car is the only way we get paid. No salesperson can ask for a guarantee you will purchase from them, but if you meet with one with no intention of buying that's pretty lame (understatement).

As an aside (and I know this wasn't the purpose for your visit) if you want to shop the deal offered you by the manager of the floor salesperson who you originally spoke to, ask for an internet quote from other dealers. These quotes, while they may vary slightly from one dealership to another, and may be negotiable by a small sum, are very aggressive. This will allow you to get your best number without wasting a large sum of another floor salesperson's time (the internet guys click a button to send you a quote and it takes them no significant time).

Of course, if the original salesperson you dealt with was :thumbdown: feel free to just purchase at the other location without a ping of guilt.
Storm Crow,

Like I said, my original intention for visiting was just to see the car in person. But, as you know, sales people will try to pull you in, even if you're not ready to buy (since this is their job).

I will go the internet route though, as I seem to get better deals that way (like you said).

Thanks for the advice!

Cant trust too many of them! Until you find one you can build a relationship with.. check out reviews.. friends... etc.... find a good one. And even then... watch yer back!:eek:mg: Sometimes it isn't the dealership.. it is the hungry sleazy slimy salespersons :angry:!
CRaZee,

That's what I was saying, I already have found a good dealership that I have built a relationship with. I've bought a CR-V from them previously for my wife, and it was a great experience.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Not sure about the whole dealer trading issue but there is a dealer just across the border in Beaumont Texas with 2 CVT North Shore Blue Ex's w/o Nav so the claim there are none within 10 hours is BS.

Mike Smith Honda Beaumont, Texas
:yeahthat:

most salesmen will generally say anything to make the sale...
Never trust a salesman. Nice or pushy, thier out to make the most money possible. They're not looking out for you, that's a guarantee. I don't care what any salesman says.

I don't think so. How are you supposed to figure out what car will suit you for the next3-10 years? I test drove a new 5.0 412hp Mustang GT with little intintion on buying due to gas consumption. Is that lame? I don't believe it is. I also drove an '01 lightning w/ not much intention to buy, but for nastalgia (used to own one). Dick? Maybe so, but I told the owner my intention right at the beginning.

My point is it's not always lame to test drive with no intention on buying.

To the OP: Go through internet sales. You'll get a good price w/ no bullshit from the get go. All you have to do is negotiate your trade in.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i agree with Shatner... how else are you supposed to explore your options if you don't test drive everything on your radar first? when i test drove the CR-Z a couple months ago, i told the salesman straight up that i was interested in a Blue EX 6MT... i tested a black EX 6MT and the second he tried to sway my thinking about getting that one, i stopped him in his tracks and said i have no problem waiting and NO intention to buy that car that day... my test drive was simply that, a "TEST DRIVE" not a drive then sale... i felt bad for wasting the guys time... but that dealership isn't particularly busy and it was close to closing time so he had nothing better to do for those 15mins anyways...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had an experience similar to BizzyBear. I walked in told them up front i wanted to test drive and unless my feet fell through the floor i was basically ready to buy. BUT i made it clear I drive only red cars and was willing to wait for red. All they had to do was TAKE THE ORDER. Instead they (his manager stepped in) tried to get me to take the white one, said Honda wouldn't make any red for at least 6 months, they couldn't take an order, etc. Walked out. Emailed Kuhn Honda and no questions asked looked for red and when couldn't find anywhere offered to order no money down. Hubbie says I should drive over to first dealer in my RED CRZ and ask them how they like it. :pP:

·
Registered
56 Posts
i agree with Shatner... how else are you supposed to explore your options if you don't test drive everything on your radar first? when i test drove the CR-Z a couple months ago, i told the salesman straight up that i was interested in a Blue EX 6MT... i tested a black EX 6MT and the second he tried to sway my thinking about getting that one, i stopped him in his tracks and said i have no problem waiting and NO intention to buy that car that day... my test drive was simply that, a "TEST DRIVE" not a drive then sale... i felt bad for wasting the guys time... but that dealership isn't particularly busy and it was close to closing time so he had nothing better to do for those 15mins anyways...
Exploring your options means you're considering buying does it not? You may not buy same day from that person or maybe not at all...but you are considering it. The salesperson has a shot of earning your business at some point.

If you're unsure of the manufacture of the vehicle you want or the original dealer didn't have the model car you were after of course you have to shop. That's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is doing what shatner said, driving without any intention of buying. Of course, he did say that he told the person and they were ok with it and they were two totally different preowned cars. Even if his intention was to buy you need to drive them both. Even if they were the same make and model pre-owned cars are not cookie cutter and must be driven. Also, his sounded like a private sale. As a salesperson don't make it impossible to earn that days food for my table, but as an individual, if you came to me asked "hey could I drive your car" that I was selling? I'd probably say sure!

In your mind, seperate the salesperson for the dealership. Realize that the dealership wants every customer handled (can't blame them for that) but the salesperson doesn't want to have a 0% chance to sell, whether on the spot or in a few weeks, a car during their one opportunity for the day (can't blame them for that either). Your best MO if you want to drive a car with absolutely no intention of buying from that dealership is to ask for a manager and request to be able to take a test drive without a salesperson. You don't want one of us annoying guys buzzing in your ears while you're trying to drive anyway. :p Of course, if the dealership has an "open floor" as opposed to an "up" system, (and you'll know because a salesperson...or more than one...will "greet" you (see tackle) rather than a greeter whose job it is to assign you a salesperson, then feel free to enlist that person's help. He or she is not consigned to having this be their only opportunity for the day.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
storm crow... since you have the perspective of the salesman, it would be cool if you made a thread, when u have time of course... just describing a few things buyers should expect when looking to test drive a car, and also when it comes to buying...

basically some tips to make the entire transaction to go smooth... b/c personally i don't like wasting time negotiating... i'll walk in ask for something specific and walk out if it's not met...

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
storm crow... since you have the perspective of the salesman, it would be cool if you made a thread, when u have time of course... just describing a few things buyers should expect when looking to test drive a car, and also when it comes to buying...

basically some tips to make the entire transaction to go smooth... b/c personally i don't like wasting time negotiating... i'll walk in ask for something specific and walk out if it's not met...
Agree, would add a great deal of value to the site both to consumer and dealer.

R/Scott

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had some interesting expereinces when visiting the local Honda dealers (there are 2 within a short distance of me). Between the two I've vistied them about 5-6 times, mostly cause I was just in the area and wanted to drool over ther CR-Z, but a few times I wanted to test drive. With the exception of my last visit a few weeks ago, I was never approached by a salesman, always had to approach one if I had questions, and most of the times I was met with extreme disinterest when I told them I didn't plan on buying right then and there.

The first time I test drove the CR-Z, I told the first guy I wasn't planning on buying, but wanted to test drive and he agreed, though he got someone else to drive with me. During the drive the second salesman was fairly chipper untill he learned I wasn't going to buy that day, as apperently the first guy didn't tell him. After that he went fairly quiet and seemed almost outright bored. After the drive was over I continued to ask some questions, mostly about the warranty and such, and the salesman seemed to grow more agitated untill he finially told me "How about you save those questions for when you decide to buy?". I left shortly after, though probabily won't be buying from that dealer.

In contrast, my last visit to the other dealer a few weeks was much more friendly. Was getting the oil changed in my car, which happed to be next to the Honda dealer, so went over to kill some time. I was approached fairly quickly by the sales manager who happened to be nearby, and even after learning I had no intention to buy that day, he was still very polite and willing to answer all my questions. Even offered me a test drive, which of course I accecpted, and handed me off to one of the other salesmen, who was also polite and eager to help, even knowing I didn't want to buy. I think I might get my CR-Z from them...assuming I can't get a better deal elsewhere.

Side note: While talking with the sales manager at the second dealer, I mentioned I would only want one with minimal or no accessories, specifically NO spoilier. He told me when they order the car from Honda, they automatically order the spoiler and other accessories at the same time, and that Honda demands that they be put on the second the car arrives at the dealer. He did, however, mention quietly that one car COULD POSSABILY sneak in without the spoilier.

·
Registered
106 Posts
They say a lot of things.

I've had good sales people and bad sales people. I no longer buy from bad ones and I tell good ones what I want and tell them that they are not going to budge me so it is easier for them to decide if they can do it now. If they want to play the running game still, its up to them. I make my point clear early.

I went and found a CRZ to test drive. It was an automatic. I told them, I think I want to buy this model of car but I need to test drive one first. This is not the car that I want to buy but I will be buying if you can get it for me.

I had no problems except that they all told me that there were no manuals in existence. I found mine at one of the closer dealerships, the only reason I didn't test drive it first was that they were closed on sunday. It was on the showroom floor and I told them that I wanted to test drive it and if I liked it I'd probably buy it, but that I would not pay for all the accessories and could we work something out?

It took like almost five hours but we worked it out (IE they threw in all teh accessories instead of taking them off since I refused to pay for them) aand then I waited forever for delivery.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Side note: While talking with the sales manager at the second dealer, I mentioned I would only want one with minimal or no accessories, specifically NO spoilier. He told me when they order the car from Honda, they automatically order the spoiler and other accessories at the same time, and that Honda demands that they be put on the second the car arrives at the dealer. He did, however, mention quietly that one car COULD POSSABILY sneak in without the spoilier.
Auburn Honda? They had the spoiler on theirs, they added the '2nd sticker' to their car too, seemed pretty crooky of them to do that. They also added detailing, side stickers and anything else they could do to bring the cost up to almost 30k.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Auburn Honda? They had the spoiler on theirs, they added the '2nd sticker' to their car too, seemed pretty crooky of them to do that. They also added detailing, side stickers and anything else they could do to bring the cost up to almost 30k.
Lynwood Honda, actually. I didn't notice if they had a second sticker price or not...wasn't looking to buy at that moment so wasn't really paying lot of attention to the pricing, other than the fact that the accessories were way overpriced. $500+ for the spolier, over $400 for the mud guards, ect.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.