Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TrueCar.com has data in on the CR-Z...it's as follows:

Base - Man: Dealer Cost - $18,681 (average paid: $19,719)
Base - CVT: Dealer Cost - $19,286 (average paid: $20,361)

EX - Man: Dealer Cost - $20,133 (average paid: $21,261)
EX - CVT: Dealer Cost - $20,737 (average paid: $21,903)

EX - Man: Nav - Dealer Cost - 21,807 (average paid: $23,040)
EX - CVT: Nav - Dealer Cost - 22,411 (average paid: $23,685)

I got my EX CVT for $21,400 which according to TrueCar, is a "Great" price. But it looks to me like there is a whole lot of wiggle room in there.

NOTE: Always important to remember...Invoice is not what the dealer pays for a car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No dealer is likely discounting the car much at this time, and there is no marketing support available from the manufacturer.

It is reassuring to know, however, that there really isn't much mark-up in the vehicle...something to the tune of $1200. Without marketing support from Honda, invoice is pretty much the lowest a dealer could sell the car for, less perhaps a few hundred dollars worth of holdback (2%-3% of MSRP without the destination figured in).

Don't anticipate a dealer giving you invoice pricing minus holdback for a vehicle they just got and have about 3 of however.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No dealer is likely discounting the car much at this time, and there is no marketing support available from the manufacturer.

It is reassuring to know, however, that there really isn't much mark-up in the vehicle...something to the tune of $1200. Without marketing support from Honda, invoice is pretty much the lowest a dealer could sell the car for, less perhaps a few hundred dollars worth of holdback (2%-3% of MSRP without the destination figured in).

Don't anticipate a dealer giving you invoice pricing minus holdback for a vehicle they just got and have about 3 of however.
All that said..in a non scientific way...you could say that...the average price means that half of the people are getting a price below that average...half are above (most likely MSRP).

I think everyone should anticipate that they can get a deal on these cars if they know how to shop for cars. Also...I would always shoot for getting it for less then the average paid, and of course...negotiate your trade and make sure you get no less then Kelly Blue Book.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've bought 6 or eight Honda's from Manchester Honda. As a repeat customer, I automatically get a three hundred dollars off the sticker price.

This dealership claims that their salesperson does not get a commission on their sales. Furthermore, the sticker price you see on their cars, is the very bottom price they will sell. The dealership is reputed to be a "no haggle" sales. They also claim their sales person are paid a salary and not commission.

After all the Honda's I bought from this dealership, I have yet to get a break on the sticker price. Shopping around around here, I found this to be true they do have the lowest price. The dealing comes in for the trade in. They are pretty fair.

How true is this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've bought 6 or eight Honda's from Manchester Honda. As a repeat customer, I automatically get a three hundred dollars off the sticker price.

This dealership claims that their salesperson does not get a commission on their sales. Furthermore, the sticker price you see on their cars, is the very bottom price they will sell. The dealership is reputed to be a "no haggle" sales. They also claim their sales person are paid a salary and not commission.

After all the Honda's I bought from this dealership, I have yet to get a break on the sticker price. Shopping around around here, I found this to be true they do have the lowest price. The dealing comes in for the trade in. They are pretty fair.

How true is this?
I just checked their web site. They are charging MSRP. You can get a better deal somewhere else...you just have to put some time into finding the best deal and working on the salesmen to get them to go lower then sticker.

If you walk into a dealer...look at the sticker price and say "oh gee...that's how much it costs" then you will always pay MSRP.

Personally...I always talk to the sales manager and tell him that I'm not interested in talking to any of his sales staff...that I want to deal with him directly. I tell him that I'm not going to buy a car unless I walk out of here with the best possible deal that I think I can get...which means he is going to have to go close to invoice or possibly even go into the holdback. Simply saying the word "Holdback" makes them aware that you know what you are doing. Most people have no idea what the Holdback is.

Generally...I visit a dealer multiple times in order to get the deal I want. I always have at least two sessions where we sit down and talk numbers. Sticker is never the actual price.

I find that TrueCar.com is the only site that tells you exactly how much the dealer has into the car. They can show you invoices till they are blue in the face...they did not pay invoice and most of the time...if you are leaving the dealership...they get much more flexible with the price.

As a general rule...any salesmen will lie through their teeth to get you to buy something, so you shouldn't believe a thing they say.

Do your research and be knowledgeable.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

How true is this?
Manchester Honda in CT?

I see your plate is from CT :hi5:

I withdrew my deposit from Manchester. I've been waiting since August 28th for a white CR-Z EX. The chances of getting once didn't appear very likely to happen soon. Went with a Mass dealer who can transfer the car I want directly from a sister dealership in NY.

As for prices Manchester sells cars like Scion. The only price haggling you can do is on your trade or the discount they give you for a past car purchase/service loyalty.

·
Registered
56 Posts

How true is this?
I can't speak for every dealership out there but operating like Saturn did by posting only no haggle pricing and being unwilling to budge sounds like they're putting themselves in a tough spot.

A Saturn salesperson will tell you that customers would still try to haggle with them. The fact is that customers expect that whatever number they're shown at a car dealership has wiggle room...sometimes that expectation can be rather unrealistic.

As much as most customers complain about having to negotiate, the dealerships are really just serving up what's expected of them by the customers and doing otherwise makes a customer even more suspicious. It's kind of a vicious cycle.

Also, the trouble for a dealership, even if they are actually giving it all away on every deal (aside from making very little money) is that another dealer will usually be able to come in and undercut them, even at a loss, for one or two hundred dollars, just to take the deal away...so again, when a dealership drops its drawers it's usually in for a pounding.

As far as not working for commission, I know of no dealers in my area (southern New Jersey) who operate on a salary except when they're first hired (sometimes).

Trade-wise I would say that most dealerships can find an extra $500 in MOST trade values they quote, but that's not always the case. On occasion there may be more but the ones I know of are usually pretty fair (FYI KBB has been way high on their trade quotes compared to other sources recently, and that's been causing some strife in putting deals together over the last month or two).

I still never understand how it is that so much haggling occurs anymore anyway. Aside from some dicy-ness with the trade, all the information is accurate and easily available as to what you can own a car for on half a dozen websites, and aside from an uncommon car (like the SI's are currently) or a new release, you can usually get all the money in the car. So car buying should really be no more a matter of 5 minutes worth of internet research, then going to one dealership and sticking to your guns on the price you know you can get. All this endless shopping around...OMG...might you save yourself an extra $100 with enough brain damage, maybe, but if all that time isn't worth more to you than that, the truth is ya probably can't afford to buy a car right now (or you're a masochist).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As for prices Manchester sells cars like Scion. The only price haggling you can do is on your trade or the discount they give you for a past car purchase/service loyalty.
They Must have a massive amount of traffic going through their dealership to hold their prices at MSRP.

There is one dealership like that in my area. They actually refused to even let me test drive a car and wouldn't even quote a trade in on my old car because I told them upfront there was no way I would pay MSRP.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All this endless shopping around...OMG...might you save yourself an extra $100 with enough brain damage, maybe, but if all that time isn't worth more to you than that, the truth is ya probably can't afford to buy a car right now (or you're a masochist).
I saved $750 off of MSRP and got $800 more for my trade in because I shopped around.

So I actually saved myself $1,643 including the tax I saved.

I paid Cash, so I am in the "I can afford a new car right now" club...but that doesn't mean that I'm going to just give someone $1,600 more for a car when I can just visit 4 dealerships in a day and get the best price.

Anyway...I enjoy getting good prices on cars...I go with all my friends to negotiate the purchase of their cars. My dad was king of getting deals on cars...always got them into the holdback...even on brand new cars.

I guess it's just fun for me (in my jeans?).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I saved $750 off of MSRP and got $800 more for my trade in because I shopped around.

So I actually saved myself $1,643 including the tax I saved.

I paid Cash, so I am in the "I can afford a new car right now" club...but that doesn't mean that I'm going to just give someone $1,600 more for a car when I can just visit 4 dealerships in a day and get the best price.

Anyway...I enjoy getting good prices on cars...I go with all my friends to negotiate the purchase of their cars. My dad was king of getting deals on cars...always got them into the holdback...even on brand new cars.

I guess it's just fun for me (in my jeans?).
maybe so. my Dad does the same thing and i have picked up on quite a few of his tricks.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm having a tough time believing some of the discounts people are getting. When I declined dealers offers none of them called me back to try and lower the price.

As it stands the only dealer nearby who can get me a white EX has already stated that car comes with the armrest, mats, and illuminated door sills. To get a deal they are only interested in haggling over the price of on the lot silver models.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm having a tough time believing some of the discounts people are getting. When I declined dealers offers none of them called me back to try and lower the price.

As it stands the only dealer nearby who can get me a white EX has already stated that car comes with the armrest, mats, and illuminated door sills. To get a deal they are only interested in haggling over the price of on the lot silver models.
It could be CVT/6MT differences as well. My dealer knew they had the only 6MT short of a 200ish mile drive. Good thing was they didn't cover it in accessories, bad thing they wouldn't budge off sticker price. I did manage to get a little more for my trade-in out of them.

I think if I was looking for a CVT model I could have played the dealers against each other, there were a couple white, a blue, a couple silver, and a couple black all within 30mins. I wouldn't have been afraid to spend a day or two to get a little money out of them. While they all probably are intent on sticker price, they also don't want to lose a deal to one of their rivals :hi5:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Any dealer can get any car you want...they just have to trade or reroute one. My last car was rerouted from japan and my CR-Z was a trade with a dealer 40 miles away.

You go in and get your price...then you add whatever you want and try and get deals on all the accessories also (generally you can get Accessories for 30% off sometimes more). Then it's their job to get you the car if they don't have it.

No one called me and offered to lower the price either. If you leave a dealership and wait by the phone for them to call you...you'll wait forever. You are only a potential customer if you are in the dealership. They might call you to see if you might come back...but they aren't going to lower their price over a phone call with no effort from you.

I called all dealers in the area and said "Look, I'm coming in, I know around how much you own the car for. I'm ready to buy today if you hit my numbers, I don't have a lot of time so I don't want to play games"

One dealer went back and forth with me on numbers for 3 hours, swore up and down they were giving me the best possible deal($7,300 for my trade and $21,660 for the car), Another refused to even work with me, another I came in and really low balled them with my requests to get a feel for what numbers I should ask for from the next dealer, and the final dealer gave me exactly what I was asking for right off the bat ($21,400 + 8k on trade).

TrueCar.com doesn't lie...people are getting deals. Some better then the deal I got. Perhaps you were going about things wrong when you were dealing with the salesmen.

His job is to have you leave the dealership paying the most for the car but still feeling like you got the best price you possibly could. Your job is to beat up the salesmen till you get the numbers that you have in your head.

It's an art that takes a lot of skill and you have to be more dominate then the salesmen who is already a pretty dominate person if he is in sales.

·
Banned
67 Posts
truecar.com has data in on the cr-z...it's as follows:

base - man: dealer cost - $18,681 (average paid: $19,719)
base - cvt: dealer cost - $19,286 (average paid: $20,361)

ex - man: dealer cost - $20,133 (average paid: $21,261)
ex - cvt: dealer cost - $20,737 (average paid: $21,903)

ex - man: Nav - dealer cost - 21,807 (average paid: $23,040)
ex - cvt: Nav - dealer cost - 22,411 (average paid: $23,685)

i got my ex cvt for $21,400 which according to truecar, is a "great" price. But it looks to me like there is a whole lot of wiggle room in there.

Note: Always important to remember...invoice is not what the dealer pays for a car.
its way more complicated than that man.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, I feel pretty good about my purchase price now. Thanks for posting this. It looks like they made the administration fee (100 bucks), 80 bucks straight out over dealer cost and probably 1% on my interest rate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.