Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 EX 6-speed, bought used with only one key.

Here's the story so far; brought my baby to my local Honda dealer where my buddy happens to work. The tech there has it for about an hour and comes out saying he can't get the key to pair. He says 3 other keys were previously paired, but even after doing an "all clear" and reprogramming my original key, he can't get it to work. They order another key and schedule me for another appointment.

Cut to today, they set me up all nice with a loaner so they could have my car for the day. My buddy texts me a few moments ago and says the second key isn't pairing either. He says their only option to go forward is to get Honda on the phone and start troubleshooting, for which they'd have to charge me shop hourly.

Obviously I said F&$K THAT, and I'm going to pick it up tonight.

Question is, has anyone had this experience? I searched around the forum and see some others have had issues with ordering the wrong key, but the dealer got both the keys in this situation. I'm likely going to try another dealer, but I'm curious if anyone's run into this before and what the outcome was.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
I lost a key and had a new one made and they had no issues pairing the new key with the car and when they were done both keys in my possession worked fine. If it were me I would find another dealer or a locksmith.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I lost a key and had a new one made and they had no issues pairing the new key with the car and when they were done both keys in my possession worked fine. If it were me I would find another dealer or a locksmith.
Yeah I've lined an appointment up with another dealership. Barring that, my buddy has recommended a good locksmith in our area. We will see what happens and I'll definitely update in case anyone else has this issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
He says their only option to go forward is to get Honda on the phone and start troubleshooting, for which they'd have to charge me shop hourly.

After 2 hours of having me turning off and on the car and taking out the battery we still haven't gotten it to work but for another $500 we can phone a Honda Engineer. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
2014 EX 6-speed, bought used with only one key.

Here's the story so far; brought my baby to my local Honda dealer where my buddy happens to work. The tech there has it for about an hour and comes out saying he can't get the key to pair. He says 3 other keys were previously paired, but even after doing an "all clear" and reprogramming my original key, he can't get it to work. They order another key and schedule me for another appointment.

Cut to today, they set me up all nice with a loaner so they could have my car for the day. My buddy texts me a few moments ago and says the second key isn't pairing either. He says their only option to go forward is to get Honda on the phone and start troubleshooting, for which they'd have to charge me shop hourly.

Question is, has anyone had this experience? I searched around the forum and see some others have had issues with ordering the wrong key, but the dealer got both the keys in this situation. I'm likely going to try another dealer, but I'm curious if anyone's run into this before and what the outcome was.
I've just had this happen to me. In my case, they caused something to short or burn in my car. Now I've got to worry about fire. And they want me to pay for the trouble shoot n repair for whatever it is that the deal fucked up

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

I was able to have a key made by another dealership. Apparently the issue was just defective transponders in the keys. If you're having the same issue, I'd urge you to tell the dealership to keep warrantying keys until they get one that works.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Go to a different dealer .

I've just had this happen to me. In my case, they caused something to short or burn in my car. Now I've got to worry about fire. And they want me to pay for the trouble shoot n repair for whatever it is that the deal fucked up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts