Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I took the wife out to eat at the outback steak house in Tallahassee Florida. When we finished we approached the car and I unlocked the door and jumped in. Then something happened. The car would not start. WTF ???, I was a little perplexed. What the heck. All was well for the 1st 5k miles.

(Houston we have a problem) :wallbash:

The IMA Battery had a full charge and the motor would not turn over. After a few seconds I noticed the interior light was dimmer than usual. I started looking around for stuff to shut off and then Bam !! I noticed my head light switch was on. Usually I leave it in auto and that night at some point I moved it.

One would think since this car has as much technology as the space shuttle it would be preprogrammed to shut off the darn head lights.

Other than feeling stupid for a few minutes. I question the setup. IMA battery has enough power at full charge to run my house but not start the motor when the small lawn mower size battery is dead.

Hello Honda, If you read this stuff lets get some programming for this.

I am very happy with the CRZ. ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here I do not understand, how Honda's electronics manage the starting process.
Since the engine is started by the IMA motor (except when it is too cold or the IMA battery is low), there should not be a starting problem when the IMA battery is full.
Possibly there are some safety reasons that make the system wait until the small battery is reloaded by the IMA.

·
Registered
675 Posts
So, did it eventually start up? you left us hanging..... :beer:
LOL same here after i read "Hello Toyota, If you read this stuff lets get some programming for this.

I am very happy with the CRZ." i was like soooooooooooooooooooo hmmmm

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, Yes I jump started it. I got lucky a couple came out that was parked next to me.

I do like the car very much. Its just funny the things Honda did. Its hard to understand how some stuff is so hitech but other daily use stuff was left off.

Also one other thing. After the jump start the IMA battery cooling fan came on and did not shut off for 10 min. I was concerned at first because I have never heard it before. I checked with the dealer and no one there could explain why it would turn on. It was about 65 degrees out that night and the car had sat for 1 hr.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Possibly there are some safety reasons that make the system wait until the small battery is reloaded by the IMA.
That is kind of what I am thinking??
Exactly the same thing happened to me. I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and it started right up like nothing had happened... I think I posted that somewhere around here a while back. To lazy to go look it up...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be more careful with the head light switch. It could have been a pain. The parking lot was full. I just can't figure the whole starting thing. The IMA battery was full. I thought the starter was only there so you could start the car if the IMA battery was dead. Crazy !!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is kind of what I am thinking??
Exactly the same thing happened to me. I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and it started right up like nothing had happened... I think I posted that somewhere around here a while back. To lazy to go look it up...

:rolleyes:
I actually remember reading your post. I was thinking of this site the whole time. I tried waiting a few minutes after I tried starting it the 1st time. Maybe I did not wait long enough. All other systems worked.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I actually remember reading your post. I was thinking of this site the whole time. I tried waiting a few minutes after I tried starting it the 1st time. Maybe I did not wait long enough. All other systems worked.
I'm kind of guessing at the time. No more than 10 minutes though. In between I was rummaging through my garage trying to find my charger when I decided to try and start it.

Might of been a fluke.. Not something I want to voluntarily Test and Evaluate (T&E) though...

:cry:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have bumped the lamp switch from "Auto" to "ON" while grabbing for the turn signals. Got to watch that one. I think there is a tone to remind you when you exit the car. Might not always get my attention. Thanks for the learning experience. K

·
Registered
669 Posts
It seems obvious that although the IMA battery does the 'heavy lifting' in starting the car, the 12v is also a necessary component. I'm 99% sure this is because all the engine control electronics run in the 12v world so if the battery is dead or seeing low voltage, the computer cannot initiate the starting procedure. Make me wonder if a slightly higher capacity battery wouldn't be a good idea?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It seems obvious that although the IMA battery does the 'heavy lifting' in starting the car, the 12v is also a necessary component. I'm 99% sure this is because all the engine control electronics run in the 12v world so if the battery is dead or seeing low voltage, the computer cannot initiate the starting procedure. Make me wonder if a slightly higher capacity battery wouldn't be a good idea?
The small battery would be fine if Honda would just program a kill switch for any type of slow drain on the small battery. I guess the HID lights drain the small one fast.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The small battery would be fine if Honda would just program a kill switch for any type of slow drain on the small battery. I guess the HID lights drain the small one fast.
Maybe they need something like this?

BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (BMS)

Starting with the 2012 model, the TL features a new Battery Management System (BMS) that is designed to increase the overall service life of the battery, reduce the chance of a dead battery and help deliver improved fuel economy.

Should a TL owner accidentally leave on the headlights or not close a door causing an interior light to remain on, after a set period of time the BMS will automatically terminate power delivery to prevent the battery from going dead. Moreover, the BMS continually monitors battery condition and will provide a warning message while automatically turning off the interior lights when battery condition or cranking capability drops too low. As a result of the discharge protection afforded by the BMS, the battery should always have enough reserve capacity left to start the engine.

The TL's 3.5L and 3.7L engine make use of a powerful 130 amp alternator that charges in two different ranges- a low 12-volt range and a high 14-volt range. By closely controlling the alternator charge voltage range, BMS works to keep the battery in a specific charge range which can extend the service life of the battery by more than 25 percent. With BMS keeping the battery in a specific charge range, the alternator can run more often in the low range which generates less drag on the engine resulting in improved fuel economy.

Application of numerous electrical power reducing items (such as the use of efficient LED lighting and a special humidity control system that has an automatic air conditioning "off" function) allows the BMS to operate the alternator even more frequently in the more efficient low charge mode.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hmm, after turning off your car, you do hear the beeping in your car if you leave your headlights on, don't you???

I like how the Japanese Crz has a computer voice that speaks when you don't have your seat belt on.

oh dumbed down North American version.....pfft. . .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.