Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trading my 97 blazer for a new CRZ, what I'm going to miss the most is my 4000 watt dual 15" subwoofers in the back... Yes it was ungodly bass overkill but still.... I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.
My first or second mod will definatly be to add a single 15 inch subwoofer in the rear, hoping to design something with a clean install and quick un-plug/removable option so you can use the space once in a while. I plan on going with something a little more realistic like 1500-2000 watts max this time around, but anyways, my question to the dreamers is:

What kind of insane mind blowing glass shattering (?)?,xxx watt subwoofer setup could you support if you could power it right off the hybrid battery pack? :w00t:

Yes, I know a lot of you just :pat: but I know there are fellow mega bass lovers out there, and im not saying i'm gonna do it (bye bye battery warrenty) but isn't it plausible on some level? Some people drop big $$$ to get enough electrical power stored in their vehicle to run super-subs and multilpe alternators to charge them, Honda's got it built right in ready to go! :love:

Anybody else feeling it or should i..:hiding::iough:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I'm trading my 97 blazer for a new CRZ, what I'm going to miss the most is my 4000 watt dual 15" subwoofers in the back... Yes it was ungodly bass overkill but still.... I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.
My first or second mod will definatly be to add a single 15 inch subwoofer in the rear, hoping to design something with a clean install and quick un-plug/removable option so you can use the space once in a while. I plan on going with something a little more realistic like 1500-2000 watts max this time around, but anyways, my question to the dreamers is:

What kind of insane mind blowing glass shattering (?)?,xxx watt subwoofer setup could you support if you could power it right off the hybrid battery pack? :w00t:

Yes, I know a lot of you just :pat: but I know there are fellow mega bass lovers out there, and im not saying i'm gonna do it (bye bye battery warrenty) but isn't it plausible on some level? Some people drop big $$$ to get enough electrical power stored in their vehicle to run super-subs and multilpe alternators to charge them, Honda's got it built right in ready to go! :love:

Anybody else feeling it or should i..:hiding::iough:
Said this in other threads, but beware of resident destructive frequencies. Always see people in a ride with subsonics traveling for miles and sounds really good to those inside and they are eh happy I guess, but on the outside, nothing but plastic parts rattling.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
JL makes a good D class amp that I plan on purchasing. I have already replaced the door speakers and plan on changing the sub to a 10 when I install the new amp and wiring. I dont think you are going to find an amp to power a 15 that doesnt destroy the cars battery. Keep us updated!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed, I always enjoyed the rediculous-ness of my setup at stop lights and around friends, but after about 10 seconds you wish you could hear the rest of the music. I do enjoy the low tones and my test drive of an EX left me knowing the 8 inch stock woofer wouldn't do, but something around 1000 watts should be ideal with this car.
And if you somehow ran a 1000ish watt amp off the hybrid pack, it probably would hardly feel it once choked down to 12V...maybe... I really don't know much about the amp-capacity of the battery pack.

[edit]
For a small period of time I irresponsibly ran my 4000 watt setup in my blazer off the stock 800 cca battery up front, with only 6 gauge wire no less. Although it hurt the amp's performance starving for power and was really hard on the alternator, it *did* work for quite a few months. Even then I only added the second battery to enable night-time use without the lights flashing. (At 4000w running off stock electrical, my headlights didn't dim to the music, they flashed on and off :p)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You shouldn't have to do anything special for adding subs, unless you ran additional batteries on your old Blazer? I'm not an audio expect but that's the only area where I can see any difference. The stock 12V battery is connected to the rear pack which can siphon charge the 12V so you should have no worries over draining the front 12V.

If you are adding a major power draw the only impact could be more drainage on the rear pack as it charges the 12V. Resulting from this the car will work to recharge the rear battery pack which could mean some lost MPG's when driving.

If it helps any here is someone with a claimed 2500 watts out of a Civic Hybrid - no MPG impact:

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1368431/page/1#Post1368431

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
in my Prelude i have 2x 10" subs and it's really all you need. I'm actually surprised at the "Subwoofer" in the CRZ it's really not that bad for just 1 speaker but still nowhere near the dual 10s. I would've prefered dual subs (1 on each side) stock though, or at least a bigger single sub.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I may politely say so, all "I" need vs all "You" need and all anybody else needs is personal preference. I understand 2x 10" to be good for what you like, but I would prefer the depth of a single 15 running the same wattage. All personal preference :)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
well of course the bigger speaker will pick up the lower frequencies better but what kinda songs are you listening to that go that low lol. special "Bass Test" songs?

some of the Best songs i have that have some Good BASS and it's still a normal song are:

YouTube - The Edge of the Blade - Mystikal (Soundtrack Blade) - Buy Mp3

YouTube - Deadmau5 - Slip [HQ]

YouTube - NTM feat. Lord Kossity - Ma Benz

YouTube - Ludacris feat. DTP - Growing pains official HQ Sound

YouTube - Indian Flute - Timbaland Feat Magoo -^Watch In High Quality!^

and now some Styles of music that you guys probably don't know of:

YouTube - Emalkay - When I Look At You

YouTube - NTRLD - Bass Down Low RMX

YouTube - NiT GriT - One Love

YouTube - Freestylers - Cracks (Flux Pavilion Remix) [HD]

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have 2 10" memphis subs with a 2000 watt amp in my accord, and its running right off the battery, never had a problem! when i get the crz, im taking it into the sound shop where they do custom work and im going to have them install the subs in the 2 back compartments where the backseat "would" be if the u.s had them

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
you kids just dont get it and neither did i back when i was your age or younger, that much bass will give you hearing problems when your older. I now have tinitus (a ringing in my ear) that never goes away, durring the day not much of a problem but when things quiet down at the end of the night it can be annoying, and will only get worse with time. Not lecturing just informing. Been there done that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
His hearing is already damaged. He just hasn't realized it yet

A set of hearing aids for the hearing problems I have cost from $4200 to $6400. They last 2 - 3 years if you don't get them wet.

Insurance does not cover them.

Have fun.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
you kids just dont get it and neither did i back when i was your age or younger, that much bass will give you hearing problems when your older. I now have tinitus (a ringing in my ear) that never goes away, durring the day not much of a problem but when things quiet down at the end of the night it can be annoying, and will only get worse with time. Not lecturing just informing. Been there done that.
Yea, I blame Ozzy, Nugent, Skynard, Styx, REO, Boston, Dio and 10 dollar concert tickets....

·
Registered
666 Posts
When I get my CR-Z, I'm going to let the 8" factory sub "break-in" for about a month, then I'm gonna pull it out, Dynamat behind / around it, put a little poly-fill in the enclosure, and reinstall it.

Ployfill makes a WORLD of difference in the low-end frequency range. Did it in my 03 Jeep Wrangler stock sub. :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
His hearing is already damaged. He just hasn't realized it yet
Huh? What? I can't hear you.... :p

After 2 years of daily driving with a 4000 watt dual 15 inch setup driven by a 300 watt head unit, I am happy to say I can still hear... pretty well... ahem.
My understanding is the bulk of the damage is to my ability to hear lower frequency sounds :blush:

I have to say, crazy body flexing and bouncing pop cans out of cup holders... it was way too much fun while it lasted :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wait 20 - 30 years ...

I was there once ... rock concerts, noisy tools, manufacturing environment with hearing protection, firearms ... it is all cumulative and when it is gone, never comes back.

<shrugs>

No offense taken ... it is just so "preventable".

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm being more careful these days, I will probably never own another 4000 watt setup but I do still enjoy low bass so will probably eventually get something in this car around 1000w to round out the stock stereo :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
The watts are not what your ear has to work with. Its the sound level. Of course the sound level depends on the watts, but very different in the frequency range. Low bass is very demanding for watts, but does not produce so "loud" sound like midrange frequencies with the same watts. So the peak level of the amplifier is not the real problem.
What's important for the ear is to be measured in dBA. I would recommend to measure your preferred sound adjustment with a sound-level-meter and check against table G-16 "Permissable noise exposures" in the Occupational Safety and Health Standards.
Dispite of the limits, you could have a good physical bass feeling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my CRZ and am going to upgrade the car stereo with the following in the next week or two:
1. T400-2 amp (to drive 1 T1d212 sub in a sealed custom box)
2. T400-4 amp (to drive t252 components in fronstage and T1 6.5 coaxials in back for rear fill)
3. 1 Rockford 1 farad digital cap
4. And when released: a Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.3 (pre-ordered)

BTW...I too have tinitus from too much bass and tweets (bullets) in my youth...It's constant ringing..annoying..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.