Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up an '11 ex with 86k for my daughter a few days ago. I always thought this was a cool looking ride, but never thought I'd have one in my driveway.
So I've been driving the car to work for the past few days and it's a different experience for me. Especially when you see someone with another hybrid and they're staring the car down (DFW area). Happened to me twice yesterday 馃ぃ Is this a thing with hybrid owners ?

**My main concern (I've learned) is the notorious blind spots. Does anyone have a link or some convex side mirrors for sale?

Super Moderator
Very pretty car and one of the more unusual colors. Being a rare, unusual, low production , niche vehicle ,of course you are going to get looked at. First weeks I owned mine I got stopped in parking lots all the time asking me what it was and their second question always was do you have to plug it in . :D Now there are many Hybrids but none as unusual as a CR-Z

You just need to adjust the mirror properly and the factory mirrors are convex on passenger side. See this What if I Told You That Vehicles Don鈥檛 Have a Blind Spot? We have discussed this article a lot on this forum. Just learn how to adjust the mirrors nothing needs to be added. Many threads on this topic. I always find it amusing when people "discover" these "issues" after they buy a vehicle but at least this is an easy low cost fix.

Per this article my passenger side mirror is set as far to the outside as possible. Also remember you can raise and lower the seat and move the seat and steering wheel. I always forget this car has a tilt and telescoping wheel. With all the adjustments and this article there are no blind spots. Also adjust your inside mirror so you get the most view out of it to see through both pieces of glass in the hatch. Move the passenger seat back and tilt it slightly as the head rest will get in the way too.

I have noticed even people with the spot mirrors and the mirrors that clip to the top of the mirror housings still have the factory mirror showing a large part of the side of the car. Read this article and follow it. It will work for any vehicle you drive.

I had a a colleague I worked with years ago who had his factory convex mirrors replaced with flat ones on his truck. All comes down to learning your car and a little retraining.

Registered
I have the same color car. Mine is a 2011 however and at 166k miles. With a little maintenance that car will last a long, long time. My car came with some small convex mirrors installed on it. Once you get used to them they are very handy. Helps with being able to see the entire lane beside you and helps to see the lines on the parking lots when backing in. When the weather warms up today and the frost is gone, I will take a picture of mine so you can see them. I would think any Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Rielly's, NAPA or Walmart would have some convex mirrors to do the job.

Super Moderator
Have you read the article I referred to? After I read it I stopped looking for auxiliary mirrors.

I have the same color car. Mine is a 2011 however and at 166k miles. With a little maintenance that car will last a long, long time. My car came with some small convex mirrors installed on it. Once you get used to them they are very handy. Helps with being able to see the entire lane beside you and helps to see the lines on the parking lots when backing in. When the weather warms up today and the frost is gone, I will take a picture of mine so you can see them. I would think any Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Rielly's, NAPA or Walmart would have some convex mirrors to do the job.

Super Moderator
Due to the way those mirrors supposedly work along with the factory convex mirror it is sometimes hard to determine exactly where the other cars are. Each mirror has a different view and a different apparent distance. Hence the warning on the factory mirror about objects maybe closer than they appear. But if they work for you more power to you.

What I have may not be what he wants. They were on the car when I got it and do the job. Thanks for the article!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Have you read the article I referred to? After I read it I stopped looking for auxiliary mirrors.
zaktek
I took your advice and made a few adjustments this morning. It helped considerably. At the moment I have to manually adjust the mirrors due to the switch being snapped off (have one on the way) but it's still manageable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts