Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
As the CVT uses belts I would think temperature would affect it a lot.......
Well, kind of. One belt, and it works by pushing instead of pulling. Kind of odd stuff, but developments out of the DAF CVT from the eighties. It's more a stack of steel plates than what we usually think of as a "belt".
I have no idea what Honda thinks is "nomal" for these transmissions, but I wonder if they have much of a knowledge base about them, either.

·
Red&Black
5,980 Posts
Today something happened that has happened to me several times before, wanted to share it.

I turned on my car and put it in reverse to back out of a parking space. Put it in drive, started to give it gas and I heard it revving, but car wasn't moving. Looked down at tachometer and the RPMs were up around 3k. I took my foot off the gas, waited like 1-2 seconds for the car to start pulling itself, then gave it gas again and it was fine...

When it was revving and not moving, it felt like it was in neutral. I have this sinking feeling my transmission is going to crap out on me after all my warranties are gone :( I have Honda Care until 9/2017

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Today something happened that has happened to me several times before, wanted to share it.

I turned on my car and put it in reverse to back out of a parking space. Put it in drive, started to give it gas and I heard it revving, but car wasn't moving. Looked down at tachometer and the RPMs were up around 3k. I took my foot off the gas, waited like 1-2 seconds for the car to start pulling itself, then gave it gas again and it was fine...

When it was revving and not moving, it felt like it was in neutral. I have this sinking feeling my transmission is going to crap out on me after all my warranties are gone :( I have Honda Care until 9/2017
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Mine does that periodically. I'm at like 125k now, no actual problems with the trans yet.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts

Wow Holly, I hope it was just a fluke, but you've had good oil in it, and changed it yearly, so I wonder if it's just the fluid level (looking for a simple way out for ya.) I swear, my old Insight CVT has been hammered ruthlessly, and hasn't shown any signs of the wear and tear for almost 200,000 miles, and the CRZ is still a youngster, but no glitches there either.

A lot of people have been worried about something major going wrong with their CVT, but from my 225,000 miles of accumulated--hard driving--experience with the CVT, I've never experienced even the slightest glitch. Hope you get a long life out of yours.

·
Red&Black
5,980 Posts
I don't experience any of this during the warm months - just light rubber banding that everyone gets. But every winter (and this is my third winter with the CRZ) the symptoms get worse and more pronounced. This winter it started making sounds too - my BF said it sounds like a belt.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Reviving this thread because I had a jarring experience with the "rubber band effect" on my way home just now. I was coming to a red light to turn right, so I never fully stopped. It is too cold for auto stop to engage. I braked down to maybe 5mph, then started accelerating again at my normal-grandma speed. Suddenly my trans goes 'rev-rev-rev-rev!', and its literally throwing me back and forth in my seat! It felt like my car was a pull-toy on a string, and the little kid was yanking the string repeatedly. I don't know how else to explain it.

I took my foot off the gas and began accelerating again and the "rubber band" was still there, but at its small level. Anyone else ever been thrown in their seat by the rubber band effect? This all happened in the span of not even 5 seconds.

Note: This has been an unusually long, cold winter for my region. I have noticed that without autostop, accelerating from a stop there is a 90% chance of rubber band (usually appears between 5mph to 15mph). In the summer when autostop is doing its thing, rubber band occurs maybe 20% of the time.

Sorry to dig up an old thread. This exactly happened to me today on an uphill. Here is a video recorded by my dash cam.

You can hear the engine reving and I backed down on gas. The car seems fine afterwards but this is my first time experiencing it. I am going to change my fluid regardless this Saturday to see if there's any improvements. I will keeps this post updated for anyone who has experienced this.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Reviving this thread because I had a jarring experience with the "rubber band effect" on my way home just now. I was coming to a red light to turn right, so I never fully stopped. It is too cold for auto stop to engage. I braked down to maybe 5mph, then started accelerating again at my normal-grandma speed. Suddenly my trans goes 'rev-rev-rev-rev!', and its literally throwing me back and forth in my seat! It felt like my car was a pull-toy on a string, and the little kid was yanking the string repeatedly. I don't know how else to explain it.

I took my foot off the gas and began accelerating again and the "rubber band" was still there, but at its small level. Anyone else ever been thrown in their seat by the rubber band effect? This all happened in the span of not even 5 seconds.

Note: This has been an unusually long, cold winter for my region. I have noticed that without autostop, accelerating from a stop there is a 90% chance of rubber band (usually appears between 5mph to 15mph). In the summer when autostop is doing its thing, rubber band occurs maybe 20% of the time.

this is excactly what happened to me today.You can hear it at around 9 seconds into the video above. The CVT hesitates to upshift coming out of an autostop on an uphill. It was on ECO mode and the rpm was bouncing off the rev limiter at around 6000+rpm (9 seconds into the video). Paddle shifting was not used when it happened. Everything was on auto with AC off. The car has around 25k miles.
I will change my CVT fluid to see if there's any improvements.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts