Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Capt'n Jack
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as a lot of you know, I have a 2011 CVT/EX with all the trimmings I bought back in August of 2010 (USDM).

I'm on 25K miles.. Pretty easy commute miles. No minders on changing the CVT Fluid yet..

Two days ago sitting at a stop light, hit the gas and was like it was in neutral for a half second - RPMs hit about 5K and all the sudden the drive kicked in with a bit of a jolt. Never happened before.. Happened again today.
:blink:
Fluid looks pretty clean off the stick.. Guess I am gonna need to bite the bullet and take it in to the Stealership/Maintenance department to have a looksee. Before the CR-Z had a 07 Civic CVT Hybrid and no associated issues.. We'll see I guess..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, its a good thing you're still under warranty. Isnt 25k miles about the lifespan of the CVT fluid?

Also, is it possible that you had accidentally bumped the shifter into neutral. Ive found that on my new 2013 cvt if my ipod cable happens to be in the way of pull the shifter from P to D I can make it into drive, but the top 'button' does not completely disengage. Its like an inbetween area. Like 60% in drive so it will drive, but can be bumped into neutral. (happened to me today)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've noticed that when I come to a stop and auto-stop engages. After I rev up again it has a 1 second lag with increased RPMs with that jolt feeling; let me know what's the problem when you have a diagnostic lol. :p

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hmm..that sort of thing happens to me when the engine is about to go on auto stop and I hit the gas (transitioning sweet spot i guess..) . It gets a hard jolt and then away I go!

·
Registered
475 Posts
The fluid on the stick is NOT a very good indication of the gunk that is in the bottom of the pan, stuck on the mag plug, and clogging your filter. Especially for the first change. I'm not saying that's your problem. I'm just saying looking at the dip stick is not a good qualifier.

I've done 5 CVT and filter changes on my Insight and CR-Z. All were about 10k miles apart. In addition to the particles and darkness of the fluid, the viscosity of the old vs new fluid was very evident. IMO, the old fluid was used up.

Remember that some dealerships aren't aware of the CVT filter. Sometimes you have to show it to them.

I hope that's all you need to get your CVT back in good health.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mine had similar problems at 28,000 miles, I took it to the dealer got the fluid and filter changed along with an oil change it hasn't happened since (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've noticed that when I come to a stop and auto-stop engages. After I rev up again it has a 1 second lag with increased RPMs with that jolt feeling; let me know what's the problem when you have a diagnostic lol. :p
thats happened to me too... im at 35k and it happens alot too me ,havent gotten to cheching it but ill probably do so today

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mine will sometimes do this if autostop engages while the car is still coldish and has not drove more than 1/8-1/4 mile. It also seems autostop is extended during these times, but that could just be me. My hypothesis is when the CVT shifts into neutral for autostop, air might be in the line. When the engine fires up, it takes a delayed time to shift from neutral.

I bought my car at 14k miles, and it did it to me then. I've changed the CVT fluid and filter, but it still occurs at almost 40k miles. What I do to prevent this is I get in the car and start it. I put the car into drive, and let my foot off the brake. I always park using the parking brake, so I let that hold the car while I get strapped in, set the radio, fan, ect. which takes 30-60 seconds. I release the parking brake and drive off. Since I've started doing this, I've NEVER had the issue again.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Mine will sometimes do this if autostop engages while the car is still coldish and has not drove more than 1/8-1/4 mile. It also seems autostop is extended during these times, but that could just be me. My hypothesis is when the CVT shifts into neutral for autostop, air might be in the line. When the engine fires up, it takes a delayed time to shift from neutral.

I bought my car at 14k miles, and it did it to me then. I've changed the CVT fluid and filter, but it still occurs at almost 40k miles. What I do to prevent this is I get in the car and start it. I put the car into drive, and let my foot off the brake. I always park using the parking brake, so I let that hold the car while I get strapped in, set the radio, fan, ect. which takes 30-60 seconds. I release the parking brake and drive off. Since I've started doing this, I've NEVER had the issue again.
Mine quit doing this after fluid change but just in case now I never drive off until the engine is warm

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
I don't know if it is similar or not, but I find an odd response when I coast to a light, and even roll in auto-stop for a bit. Upon starting to move off again, the CVT takes a moment to engage (then does the "rubber-band" thing). Most annoying. I figured that the pulleys are adjusted for the coasting that I did before the stop, not for pulling away from a stop, and take a moment to reset. But I've never had it rev that high without engaging (I think I'd stop pressing the accelerator before then, Scotty! :p ). Do you recall if you had a particularly long period of coasting to a stop, before the two incidents you describe?

You sure you weren't trying to show off? No pretty girl in a Porsche stopped beside you?

Please let us know what the dealership says, about the condition of the fluid in the bottom of the pan, and also if there were significant metal particles on the plug. Very interested to know this.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I hate to even suggest this, but if the dealership is fuzzy about the filter, take extra steps to make sure they do it. Either have them show you the old parts or better still, mark the old filter so that you identify if they did actually replace it.

If you cut the filter open, you will see that it is a pretty fine filter that wouldn't take a lot of mud to clog up.

Going a step further, it is pretty simple to change the fluid and filter. You might want to consider doing it yourself or enlist a buddy with some mechanical skills. If you still have that K&N intake, it has to come out to access the dipstick. Is this something you trust your dealership to remove and (more importantly) reinstall?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if it is similar or not, but I find an odd response when I coast to a light, and even roll in auto-stop for a bit. Upon starting to move off again, the CVT takes a moment to engage (then does the "rubber-band" thing). Most annoying. I figured that the pulleys are adjusted for the coasting that I did before the stop, not for pulling away from a stop, and take a moment to reset. But I've never had it rev that high without engaging (I think I'd stop pressing the accelerator before then, Scotty! :p ). Do you recall if you had a particularly long period of coasting to a stop, before the two incidents you describe?

You sure you weren't trying to show off? No pretty girl in a Porsche stopped beside you?

Please let us know what the dealership says, about the condition of the fluid in the bottom of the pan, and also if there were significant metal particles on the plug. Very interested to know this.
It happened from a stop and a normal take off. Quick, maybe less than a second. Was stopped at a incline in each case (Going up). Has not happened since. I'm actually not too worried about it. Just wondering if others have had the same thing happen. But it is about time to get the fluid changed. Service Department still doesn't think there is a filter involved and the service manual is not helping my cause.. LOL.. Think I get the stuff and take it to the Navy auto-hobby shop, put it on the lift and do it myself.

I hate to even suggest this, but if the dealership is fuzzy about the filter, take extra steps to make sure they do it. Either have them show you the old parts or better still, mark the old filter so that you identify if they did actually replace it.

If you cut the filter open, you will see that it is a pretty fine filter that wouldn't take a lot of mud to clog up.

Going a step further, it is pretty simple to change the fluid and filter. You might want to consider doing it yourself or enlist a buddy with some mechanical skills. If you still have that K&N intake, it has to come out to access the dipstick. Is this something you trust your dealership to remove and (more importantly) reinstall?
Yea, as mentioned, ditching the Service Department idea. On the K&N, it was a tight fit to check the fluid and gonna hafta go back out and see if my funnel will squeeze in there for the refill.. If not, hopefully it is just a matter of removing the filter.. Good point and looking out though.. Thanks..

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
It happened from a stop and a normal take off. Quick, maybe less than a second. Was stopped at a incline in each case (Going up). Has not happened since. I'm actually not too worried about it. Just wondering if others have had the same thing happen.
But did you coast a while BEFORE stopping? Probably not, if the approach to the stop was also uphill.

But it is about time to get the fluid changed. Service Department still doesn't think there is a filter involved and the service manual is not helping my cause.. LOL.. Think I get the stuff and take it to the Navy auto-hobby shop, put it on the lift and do it myself.
Re the filter, show them this:
RADIATOR HOSE - RESERVE TANK for 2011 HONDA CR-Z

Yea, as mentioned, ditching the Service Department idea. On the K&N, it was a tight fit to check the fluid and gonna hafta go back out and see if my funnel will squeeze in there for the refill.. If not, hopefully it is just a matter of removing the filter.. Good point and looking out though.. Thanks..
Yikes, I booked an appointment for mine, after these two threads about CVT's. I'd better check if the JRSC tubing will allow access with a funnel! Good point.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But did you coast a while BEFORE stopping? Probably not, if the approach to the stop was also uphill.
I might of a little.. To be honest I was not really paying attention.

Thanks for the link.. Will probably just buy my own.. I gotta do a little more research.. I'm guessing that has nothing to do with the CVT Fluid, but coolant for the CVT.? Or the Fluid is routed through the radiator for cooling?? I gotta dig a little deeper into the service manual.. Got my curiosity going..

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,150 Posts
Thanks for the link.. Will probably just buy my own.. I gotta do a little more research.. I'm guessing that has nothing to do with the CVT Fluid, but coolant for the CVT.? Or the Fluid is routed through the radiator for cooling?? I gotta dig a little deeper into the service manual.. Got my curiosity going..
Lower part of the rad is the transmission oil cooler. CVT fluid routes through there.
Typical of most automatics. Higher performance or heavy duty transmissions have a separate or auxiliary oil cooler.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lower part of the rad is the transmission oil cooler. CVT fluid routes through there.
Typical of most automatics. Higher performance or heavy duty transmissions have a separate or auxiliary oil cooler.
Ah, thanks for the info.. Just found that in the service manual.. :thumbup:

I'm learning.. Only been in the ricer.. I mean owning a Honda for 6 years or so.. LOL.. (Teasing on the ricer comment based on another thread. Please take no offense everyone..)

·
Registered
475 Posts
For your own sanity, if you do it yourself, get a couple of small, clear, glasses, such as large shot glasses. As the old fluid is draining, let a little run into the glass. Then as you are refilling, pour a little new fluid into the other glass and compare them. Also note the buildup on the plug, which has a magnet in it.

Feel free to share pictures.

Again, it really is dirt simple. The filter is just a little goofy. Not difficult, just goofy. First, use pliers to loosen and pull the hose clamps back at each side of the filter, then loosen the hoses grip on the filter. Then you can take the big clamp off of the filter and pull the hose ends off. If you take the big clamp off of the filter first, you loose your mechanical advantage of leveraging the hose clamps and risk yanking the hose off from the wrong ends.

Also, it is VERY important to note the orientation of the filter and insure the new filter is pointing the same way. Use your cell phone to take a before picture if you don't have a photographic memory. It looks like it might could go either way. Don't fool yourself. It is critical to be correct on this one.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ Hey thanks Jay - input and help is greatly appreciated.. For me and the other members.. Great input..

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts