Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Indicate your AVERAGE fuel economy for your CVT equipped CRZ

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
50mpg is pretty typical for me on my daily commute during the warmer months...

This time of year though - with cold weather and snow tires installed - I'm averaging around 45mpg.

2013 CVT/EX w/navi, 87 octane, 60 mile round-trip commute (all off-highway with mixed suburb/city driving), average commute speed of ~32 mph, typical top speed of 50mph on some secondary roads to/from work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is my first post since joining. I have a 2012 CVT/EX w/navi MR, 87 octane, 47 mile one-way commute that is mostly highway and I average around 43 mpg.

Have owned since January - for six months and have raised the mpg to 40.1 for the 40k + life time. Sorry, but I can't remember what the original mpg was but I think it was around 38 or maybe less.

This is all trip computer based as I just discovered what FUELLY is yesterday and am debating whether to sign up or not. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am impressed at the numbers most of you are getting. My average is somewhere around 37. But most of my trips are short and I live in the mountains so a lot of hills and winding roads. My average speed is also only about 32. When I see mostly freeway through the hills around here I see 44-45.
My question to you guys is what terrain are you on mostly and what is your average speed?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I try to keep it off the freeway and away from stoplights whenever I can, and seldom does it pass 60 MPH. It sees relatively flat urban terrain. My winter and summer are about the same, since summer is on sticky tires and 18's and the winter is on the stock wheels and LRR snowies. There are canyons around, but I don't play in them much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only way I get over 40 MPG is if I'm NEVER going up hill and if traffic is around 50-60 mph where I can let go of the gas and let the car cruise on its own momentum (via Highway). Doing so I would be able to reach 50MPH, but its so brief, and not sustainable once you hit the City.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I usually get 52+ MPG in the summer and 48 in the winter. I'm guessing it may be due to different fuel blends, colder air temps, and/or other weather patterns which zaps my winter mileage. Over the life of my car (27,000+ miles), I'm averaging just over 50 MPG.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
What all are you guys doing to get the higher mpgs? I feel like some of them can't be averages.

On the freeway is the only time I've averaged 40+mpg and that's only when I've reset it before getting on. Our average is almost always 37-39.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Cruising in Milwaukee was when I was able to get the best fuel mileage with my CVT. Always made me smile checking the readout on the navi system and seeing it creep over 50. Stop and go traffic was a much different story, but that pretty much sucks for everybody. I would typically avg 38-40 mpg on the freeway(70+MPH), and low to mid 40s on regular highways(55-60). No special tricks, just setting the cruise control and letting econ mode do it's thing. Winter time I would lose 5 MPG or more. Winter blend fuel + engine taking longer to reach optimum range in freezing temps is no Bueno for fuel mileage.

·
Registered
589 Posts
38-39MPG with 50 City 50 highway driving. I drive 30 miles a day and carry one passenger for 15 miles ... I can get 40+mpg with perfect traffic condition...

My trick is knowing the amount of time I have before stopping or until the next light. If no one is behind me, I use regen (using the green bar) to recharge as much as possible before stopping my car. Another trick is to coast more often, meaning you only touch the paddle like 5% and keeping the mpg bar up.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
What all are you guys doing to get the higher mpgs? I feel like some of them can't be averages.
Less throttle, slower acceleration, lower top speed. If you can keep under 50mph, the Z can easily do 40mpg. But for the price of gasoline these days, I seldom bother.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
254 Posts
I struggle to get more than maybe 30mpg. To be fair, I do like using the S+ button a lot, and I rarely try to get good mpg

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Wow I thought you were Permanently off line. And with lock down not driving anyway.
Less throttle, slower acceleration, lower top speed. If you can keep under 50mph, the Z can easily do 40mpg. But for the price of gasoline these days, I seldom bother.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
254 Posts
Lots of factors affect MPG and why use S+ when you can just use sport?
I do use sport mode, but not all the time. I drive on the highway a lot and I don't like how sport mode raises the revs from 1.7k to about 2.5k when cruising. I use the S+ button when passing other drivers, mainly. When I'm on other streets, I do use sport mode more.

The max mpg I got was 42, I think. I was driving on eco mode and keeping it at about 65mph. I think that if I drove more like a "normal" person, I'd probably get 36-38 mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
‘11 ex with CVT . I am averaging about 23 mpg. I am hell on wheels in this thing. I run late no matter what I do and I hit the interstate and get to 90ish then traffic slows me down. I have a 15-20 minute drive to work 5-6 days a week to and fro in normal mode. I don’t think I can keep my foot out of the pedal and I don’t know how all of you can. I love this car. I am going to motor swap it one day but I will probably do a Cummins 2.8 reman with manual transmission and turn it up for shits and giggles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
23 really? I got better MPG with my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. The Speed Bump generally gets over 32 and have had my best long trips at over 45 MPG. Although with car not being driven with the lock down and stay at home rules it is much less :(

‘11 ex with CVT . I am averaging about 23 mpg. I am hell on wheels in this thing. I run late no matter what I do and I hit the interstate and get to 90ish then traffic slows me down. I have a 15-20 minute drive to work 5-6 days a week to and fro in normal mode. I don’t think I can keep my foot out of the pedal and I don’t know how all of you can. I love this car. I am going to motor swap it one day but I will probably do a Cummins 2.8 reman with manual transmission and turn it up for shits and giggles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 105 Posts