Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Indicate your AVERAGE fuel economy for your CVT equipped CRZ

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So which car gets better fuel economy in the Real world?

Vote in this poll if you own a CRZ with a CVT transmission and indicate your average fuel economy from at least 3 fill ups.

Note this poll has slightly different categories than the overall fuel economy poll for greater accuracy.

If you own a CRZ with a 6MT transmission you should not vote in this poll. You can vote on this poll http://www.crzforum.com/forum/honda-cr-z-mpg/3112-6mt-fuel-economy-poll.html. You can view the results by clicking the "view poll results" button at the bottom right of the poll.

For those voting More than 42.0 MPG or less than 34.0 MPG,
Please post your actual fuel economy in a post to this thread.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Tracking on fuelly as well.

Exactly 40 mpg at present. Going to drop slightly next tank....*sigh*...Cold weather be damned.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the first 10 votes in on each poll the CVT is averaging 3 MPG better thanr the 6MT:
40 to 37 MPG
Both averages are exactly 3 MPG better than the EPA combined estimates.

With 22 votes on this poll the average for CVT equipped cars is now 38.5 mpg (US)
And with 40 votes over on the 6MT poll the average is 38.0 mpg(US).
So the difference between the transmission types has narrowed to 0.5 mpg.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
Sport mode 90% of the time. 36-37 on long trips (in Sport). A week of just back and forth to work (7miles) and 33-34 - again in Sport.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm cheating by drafting a large coach bus up the freeway on my drive to work... but on my old car this method was required to get the highway MPG rating on the window sticker. This CR-Z is just crushing the window sticker.

Honda took a lot of flak because the CR-Z was basically rated the same as a Ford Fusion hybrid. But from what I've seen the Fusion mpg is below the average CR-Z mpg.

·
Registered
101 Posts
AC season starting and I am surprised that if I keep it in ECO mode and have the AC set to Auto at between 65 to 69 degrees I'm still in the 41.1 mpg range

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gas Mileage

Eight tanks so far. Running mainly in econ. Overall average 38.72

Lowest 36.5

Highest 40.32

Nearly all fuel was with air on. (Texas gets hot early)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Eight tanks so far. Running mainly in econ. Overall average 38.72

Lowest 36.5

Highest 40.32

Nearly all fuel was with air on. (Texas gets hot early)
Actually, today was the first time I've had my air on. Had to take the pooch to the vet and didn't want her hanging out the window scratching up my car!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
One thing that is confusing - I thought the point of the IMA (and similar systems in the Prius) was to improve city MPG.

I can't figure out why my City MPG is so bad (usually 25-ish) while my highway MPG is stellar (44mpg without drafting the bus - 46 if I tuck in behind the Genentech bus).

Either way, an average of 41.5 makes me happy.

·
Registered
669 Posts
One thing that is confusing - I thought the point of the IMA (and similar systems in the Prius) was to improve city MPG.
IMO, this is a misconception fostered by Toyota. The Prius is good in the city cause it can run electric only and decouple the electric motor from the gas engine. But the (relatively) weak Atkinson cycle engine isn't at its best on the highway.

The Honda system Integrates the electric motor with the gas engine, essentially making it perform like a larger engine. This is why IMA provides benefits at all speeds. There is a lot more to it but that the 20 sec answer.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yeah, but that still doesn't explain why the city MPG (literal sense - no more than 20 miles per hour) is soooo bad in this thing.

Driving my sister's Fit, I was getting slightly better city MPG along the same routes and driving pattern as this CR-Z.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts